Pandora

Default need help with halogen downlighters

How many downlighters do I need to install, roughly, per m. sq. of
ceiling in living areas and hallways? Many thanks, Sarah
Wheelbarrowbob

It really depends on the size of the room and the size of lamps you are
fitting, 6 x 60 W lamps will give you the same power out put as 9 x 40 W lamps.
Or you could install low voltage lamps through transformers and have lots of
spots without overloading your lighting circuit.
Roger Mills

"Pandora" wrote in message
om...
How many downlighters do I need to install, roughly, per m. sq. of
ceiling in living areas and hallways? Many thanks, Sarah

Are you talking mains or low voltage? LV give a lot more useful light per
watt than mains - so that will affect the equation.

I have got 12 x 50watt LV lamps in my L-shaped lounge, whose floor area is
about 32 square metres - i.e. just under 20 watts per square metre. That
gives plenty of light - in fact we rarely have them all one, but usually
combine some of them (they are in 3 groups of 4) with the wall lights. With
hindsight, 35 watt lamps would probably have been sufficient - giving about
13 watts per square metre. [I think there are some official guidelines
somewhere - but I don't know where, off-hand].

Roger

halogen downlighters simon beer UK diy 9 November 12th 03 02:13 PM
More halogen lighting but nothing to do with dimming Phil UK diy 2 November 4th 03 11:27 AM
Dimming halogen lighting Andrew Simpson UK diy 13 November 1st 03 12:45 PM
wiring for mains halogen lighting Jim UK diy 4 October 31st 03 01:49 PM
downlighters Kerry Hoskin UK diy 4 September 15th 03 08:33 PM