nick smith

Default How to clean smelly washing machine ?

Our few years old machine smells - probably too many low temp washes allowing
slime and mould to grow in the water passages.

After running a few "boil" or hottest type washes is there any other safe way
to clean it out chemically ? Not up to dismantling it and don't think I could
reach to all the parts needed - perhaps a couple of cans of Heinekin ?

Nick

BigWallop

"nick smith" wrote in message
Our few years old machine smells - probably too many low temp washes

allowing
slime and mould to grow in the water passages.

After running a few "boil" or hottest type washes is there any other safe

way
to clean it out chemically ? Not up to dismantling it and don't think I

could
reach to all the parts needed - perhaps a couple of cans of Heinekin ?

Nick

Mix two heaped table spoons of Bicarbonate of Soda in a kettle full of
boiling water. Slowly pour the mixture in to the soap drawer of the
machine, both compartments, to clean out the mould and old soap scum that
builds up in the hose and back of the drawer. Don't pull the drawer out to
far because the water may start pouring down the front of the machine, so
just enough to be able to pour the kettle in it.

Once the kettle is empty, fill it again and put on to boil. Turn the
machine on to a boil wash, make a cuppa' for yourself, and hopefully all the
smells will be gone.

Bicarbonate of Soda is great neat in the fridge to keep smells away as well.

BigWallop

"Huge" wrote in message
"BigWallop" writes:

"nick smith" wrote in message
Our few years old machine smells - probably too many low temp washes

allowing
slime and mould to grow in the water passages.

After running a few "boil" or hottest type washes is there any other

safe
way
to clean it out chemically ? Not up to dismantling it and don't think I

could
reach to all the parts needed - perhaps a couple of cans of Heinekin ?

Nick

Mix two heaped table spoons of Bicarbonate of Soda in a kettle full of

I put the drawer in the dishwasher and run the machine on a boil wash.

The drawer and concertina drop hose are prime candidates for soap scum to
build up in, so they need a rinse out with boiling water from time to time
as well though. That's unless you always use those in the drum soap and
conditioner tablets all the time that is.

Suz

"nick smith" wrote in message
Our few years old machine smells - probably too many low temp washes
allowing
slime and mould to grow in the water passages.

After running a few "boil" or hottest type washes is there any other safe
way
to clean it out chemically ? Not up to dismantling it and don't think I
could
reach to all the parts needed - perhaps a couple of cans of Heinekin ?

Nick

On advice from washing machine repair guy - boil wash with loads of
household bleach in the powder and conditioner departments. Just to be on
the safe side I did old stuff in the next wash just in case. Worked fine.

DIY ownup time: don't take the door seal off to try and clean in those
irritating folds better. Comes off real easy. Different matter putting it
back. Hence the repair guy. "Don't think you wanted to do that".
There's a knack to it, and he took about 15 seconds. We spent hours and
loads of brute force and cursing trying.

Suzanne

David Illingworth-Young

"Suz" wrote in message

On advice from washing machine repair guy - boil wash with loads of
household bleach in the powder and conditioner departments. Just to be on
the safe side I did old stuff in the next wash just in case. Worked fine.

DIY ownup time: don't take the door seal off to try and clean in those
irritating folds better. Comes off real easy. Different matter putting

it
back. Hence the repair guy. "Don't think you wanted to do that".
There's a knack to it, and he took about 15 seconds. We spent hours and
loads of brute force and cursing trying.

Yes. That's my method as well.
Every 2/3 weeks, a nice hot bleachy wash followed by a rinse/spin cycle. I
usually throw in dishcloths and tea-towels too.

nick smith

Thanks all - I was a bit concerned about bleach eating the innards of the
(expensive) machine, so thought it prudent to ask first....

Nick

David Illingworth-Young

"nick smith" wrote in message
Thanks all - I was a bit concerned about bleach eating the innards of the
(expensive) machine, so thought it prudent to ask first....

See also: [Googled: Bleach Washing Machine]

http://www.ehow.com/how_15252_clean-...g-machine.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_46_laundry.html
http://tntn.essortment.com/washingmachine_rxmv.htm

The latter suggests vinegar or lemon juice as an alternative and more
environmentally-friendly alternative to household bleach.
Another important point; Don't mix chemicals. Detergent and bleach mixed
gives off highly noxious gases (Have you ever put bleach AND washing up
liquid in a sink together?!) nor use too much bleach.

Mary Fisher

"BigWallop" wrote in message news:PgiBd.321

Bicarbonate of Soda is great neat in the fridge to keep smells away as
well.

How do you get smells in a fridge?

So many people seem obsessed by smells ...

Mary

HW feed to washing machine? a UK diy 7 January 7th 05 11:32 PM
egg/sulphur smells from washing machine Alan Simpson UK diy 4 April 24th 04 12:56 PM
Kenmore Washing Machine Question BrianEWilliams Home Repair 4 January 26th 04 06:22 AM