crb

Default Breaking and sealing main supply fuse

I advised Southern Electric that I intended to break the seal for my
main fuse to enable me to safely fit an isolator between the meter and
the C.U. I explained that I was familiar with the IEE Regulations and
the upcoming Part P legislation.

Their response was unhelpful, saying that this must only be done by a
"16th Edition Electrician". I can understand why they responded in
this way, as they wished to cover their back.

However, I wonder how such work could retrospectively be proved to have
been carried out by an "approved" person. Would the fuse be
re-sealed in some manner to enable subsequent approbation? If so, do
such electricians have a standardised "lead seal" sealer (my
existing seal is imprinted "SEB").

Obviously, one way would be the production of a headed invoice covering
the work, but as far as I am aware this is not included as a
requirement in the Electricity Suppliers T&C.

CRB

Andrew Gabriel

In article . com,
"crb" writes:
I advised Southern Electric that I intended to break the seal for my
main fuse to enable me to safely fit an isolator between the meter and
the C.U. I explained that I was familiar with the IEE Regulations and
the upcoming Part P legislation.

Their response was unhelpful, saying that this must only be done by a
"16th Edition Electrician". I can understand why they responded in
this way, as they wished to cover their back.

Last time I asked Southern Electric, they were happy for me to do
it, and they added a note to the account that it needed resealing
by the meter reader. That's never happened, because subcontracted
meter readers don't do that anymore.

As it happenes, I am a "16th Edition Electrician" if it means what
I suspect it does, but they never asked me this at all.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Christian McArdle

Their response was unhelpful, saying that this must only be done by a
"16th Edition Electrician". I can understand why they responded in
this way, as they wished to cover their back.

Well, if you know the regulations, then doesn't that make you a "16th
Edition Electrician"?

The work you are doing conforms with the law, provided you submit a building
notice.

Besides, better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Christian.

Lurch

On 30 Dec 2004 06:28:15 -0800, "crb"
strung together this:

However, I wonder how such work could retrospectively be proved to have
been carried out by an "approved" person. Would the fuse be
re-sealed in some manner to enable subsequent approbation? If so, do
such electricians have a standardised "lead seal" sealer (my
existing seal is imprinted "SEB").

The only people approved for resealing a meter are the mebers of the
electrical suppliers meter fitting team, or whoever they contract it
out to.

Obviously, one way would be the production of a headed invoice covering
the work, but as far as I am aware this is not included as a
requirement in the Electricity Suppliers T&C.

You can't, as I say, only the REC or their contractors are allowed to
seal and unseal the meter, technically.

Best bet is to just ignore them, cut the seal and leave it for someone
to reseal off their own back, whilst denying all knowledge of how it
came to be unsealed in the first place. Always works for me.
--

SJW
Dave Stanton

However, I wonder how such work could retrospectively be proved to have
been carried out by an "approved" person. Would the fuse be re-sealed in
some manner to enable subsequent approbation? If so, do such electricians
have a standardised "lead seal" sealer (my existing seal is imprinted
"SEB").

Obviously, one way would be the production of a headed invoice covering
the work, but as far as I am aware this is not included as a requirement
in the Electricity Suppliers T&C.

CRB

Some people brush dust all over the fuse unit after they have finished
doing what work needs doing. Then no one knows when it was unsealed...
So I am led to believe.....

Dave

Ian White

Lurch wrote:

Best bet is to just ignore them, cut the seal and leave it for someone
to reseal off their own back, whilst denying all knowledge of how it
came to be unsealed in the first place.

The reason for unsealing is presumably obvious - the fuse had to be
pulled in order to replace the CU.

However, I deny all knowledge of how ours now sports a genuine Southern
Electric seal, closed with genuine Southern Electric pliers... but
somehow the identifying number is illegible.

--
Ian White
Abingdon, England
Stefek Zaba

Mark wrote:

You've never been in the army, never volunteer or ask permission for
anything.
it was always someone else that must have broken/lost that !

No, but many of us know the three survival rules for a squaddie.

If it moves, salute it.
If it doesn't move, pick it up.
If it's too big to pick up, paint it.
Lurch

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:42:12 +0000, Stefek Zaba
strung together this:

No, but many of us know the three survival rules for a squaddie.

If it moves, salute it.
If it doesn't move, pick it up.
If it's too big to pick up, paint it.

I know the rules for a painter.

If it moves, smoke it.
If it doesn't, paint it.
--

SJW

No, but many of us know the three survival rules for a squaddie.

If it moves, salute it.
If it doesn't move, pick it up.
If it's too big to pick up, paint it.

I know the rules for a painter.

If it moves, smoke it.
If it doesn't, paint it.
--

Our watchword when I was in the Army was:-
If something has been left lying about pick it up in case it gets

Owain

"Stefek Zaba" wrote
| No, but many of us know the three survival rules for a squaddie.
| If it moves, salute it.
| If it doesn't move, pick it up.
| If it's too big to pick up, paint it.

If it's coal, pick it up *and* paint it.

Owain

Stephen Dawson

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article . com,
"crb" writes:
I advised Southern Electric that I intended to break the seal for my
main fuse to enable me to safely fit an isolator between the meter and
the C.U. I explained that I was familiar with the IEE Regulations and
the upcoming Part P legislation.

Their response was unhelpful, saying that this must only be done by a
"16th Edition Electrician". I can understand why they responded in
this way, as they wished to cover their back.

Last time I asked Southern Electric, they were happy for me to do
it, and they added a note to the account that it needed resealing
by the meter reader. That's never happened, because subcontracted
meter readers don't do that anymore.

As it happenes, I am a "16th Edition Electrician" if it means what
I suspect it does, but they never asked me this at all.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Southern Electric do not use sub contract meter readers.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Stephen Dawson" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Last time I asked Southern Electric, they were happy for me to do
it, and they added a note to the account that it needed resealing
by the meter reader. That's never happened, because subcontracted
meter readers don't do that anymore.

Southern Electric do not use sub contract meter readers.

Oh, in that case I've no idea why they've never resealed it.
Checked with the occupants, amd it is regularly read.
Eastern Electricity seem to use Siemens to read their meters.

--
Andrew Gabriel