Fred

Default Dishwasher seizing problem

I have a dishwasher where the main pump doesn't always start. I've checked
and typically the impeller creeps round but doesn't always run up to speed.

Essentially the drag on the moving seal is too high.

I have tried Vaseline and the pump worked for a period of time reverting
back to its old tricks.

I then tried the opposite and cleaned the seal in detergent with initially
good results but again the drag went back to normal.

Any ideas? Is there a recommended lubricant? Would a new seal solve any
problem?

Peter

"Fred" wrote in message
I have a dishwasher where the main pump doesn't always start. I've

checked
and typically the impeller creeps round but doesn't always run up to

speed.

Essentially the drag on the moving seal is too high.

I have tried Vaseline and the pump worked for a period of time reverting
back to its old tricks.

I then tried the opposite and cleaned the seal in detergent with initially
good results but again the drag went back to normal.

Any ideas? Is there a recommended lubricant? Would a new seal solve any
problem?

maybe a faulty capacitor for the induction motor driven pump

Peter

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Peter" writes:

"Fred" wrote in message
I have a dishwasher where the main pump doesn't always start. I've

checked
and typically the impeller creeps round but doesn't always run up to

speed.

Essentially the drag on the moving seal is too high.

I have tried Vaseline and the pump worked for a period of time reverting
back to its old tricks.

I then tried the opposite and cleaned the seal in detergent with initially
good results but again the drag went back to normal.

Any ideas? Is there a recommended lubricant? Would a new seal solve any
problem?

maybe a faulty capacitor for the induction motor driven pump

The pump out motors are usually shaded pole motors, and don't have
a capacitor.

Dishwasher detergent does nasty things to ball bearings, if it's
ever leaked up the shaft into the motor bearings. I've had exactly
same symptoms with the main pump motor caused by a leaky seal
letting a small amount of water through which found its way into
the motor bearings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Fred

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Peter" writes:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

The bearings are fine. In fact when running it sounds quite sweet with only
a faint whistle from the fan on the motor. The staring torque on the motor
is quite good.

The problem is friction of the seal itself which is a axially
(longitudinally) sprung (black) plastic to (white) plastic "seal". The
surfaces are quite smooth. If I remove the impellor the motor spins by
hand, yet when I refit the impellor and seal, the impellor becomes quite
difficult to turn.

Peter

I have a dishwasher where the main pump doesn't always start.
Any ideas? Is there a recommended lubricant? Would a new seal solve

any
problem?

maybe a faulty capacitor for the induction motor driven pump

The pump out motors are usually shaded pole motors, and don't have
a capacitor.

The OP said main pump not drain pump !

Peter

Peter

"Peter" writes:

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

This is a motor fault nothing to do with seals in 25years I have never had a
problem with seals

Peter

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Peter" writes:

I have a dishwasher where the main pump doesn't always start.
Any ideas? Is there a recommended lubricant? Would a new seal solve any
problem?

maybe a faulty capacitor for the induction motor driven pump

The pump out motors are usually shaded pole motors, and don't have
a capacitor.

The OP said main pump not drain pump !

OK, so I can't read...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Fred

"Peter" wrote in message

This is a motor fault nothing to do with seals in 25years I have never had

problem with seals

Peter

This must be a first. It's quite stiff to turn by hand. Initially it was
seized and I managed to free it by moving the impeller along the shaft
releasing some of the force on the seal. Naturally when I tightened the
impellor up some of the siffnes returned making for unrelaible starting.

The motor is an induction motor with quite respectable starting torque but
obviously nothing like a brushed or commutated motor.