Mark Trueman

Default Fridge Freezer Problems

Hi,

I have an fridge freezer that I bought from MFI a couple of years ago, model
is APM6825, but I assume these are rebranded from another manufacturer.

Anyway, its an all in one frost free jobby, compressor and all the gubbins
is in the freezer compartment in the bottom half. The fridge door was left
slightly open for about 8 hours and now the whole thing seems to have shut
down, there is no motor sound, no noise at all and no freezing going on.
Light in the fridge works so there is power.

I'm presuming that this is one of the components burning out or freezing up.
Its happened before, but righted itself after a couple of hours. This time
it hasn't.

Anyone got any idea what it could be and if its possible to fix myself.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Richard Sterry

Mark Trueman wrote:
Hi,

I have an fridge freezer that I bought from MFI a couple of years ago,
model is APM6825, but I assume these are rebranded from another
manufacturer.

Anyway, its an all in one frost free jobby, compressor and all the gubbins
is in the freezer compartment in the bottom half. The fridge door was left
slightly open for about 8 hours and now the whole thing seems to have shut
down, there is no motor sound, no noise at all and no freezing going on.
Light in the fridge works so there is power.

I'm presuming that this is one of the components burning out or freezing
up. Its happened before, but righted itself after a couple of hours. This
time it hasn't.

Anyone got any idea what it could be and if its possible to fix myself.

May just be the thermostat - this was the case with my Ariston
fridge-freezer with one compressor very recently. I paid a service company a
lot of money to replace a thermostat I could have replaced myself for
£15-£20.

Try moving the thermostat control slowly from end to end - does it click at
any point? If not, then that is probably what is wrong. In the case of my
own appliance, the thermostat was easily removed without any need to
withdraw the unit (which was built-in to the kitchen) from the carcass.

Good luck

Rick

Ian Stirling

Richard Sterry wrote:
Mark Trueman wrote:
[...]

The thermostat may not click, if the temperature in the room is above
any set-point, and it has warmed up.
Richard Sterry

Ian Stirling wrote:

The thermostat may not click, if the temperature in the room is above
any set-point, and it has warmed up.

Fair point - depends on the range of the stat.

Rick

Bob Minchin

Mark Trueman wrote in message
[...]

Temporally bypass the thermostat and see if the compressor starts up. If so,
you can run the unit using a timeswitch set to about a 25% on to off ratio
whilst you get a new stat. if it does not freeze fully then increase the
duty cycle, if your milk is freezing up then reduce it a bit.

www.cpc.co.uk sell a range of replacement thermostats for general use.
You might want to buy yourself a fridge alarm to help detect the cause early
on!!

HTH

Bob

Mark Trueman

Had a quick look for the stat, cant find it. Must be under some panel
somewhere.

Anyway, i found our MFI insurance policy and im covered under that for it,
so im going to make full use of it and claim for the food lost in the
freezer as well

Mark