Dave Liquorice

Default Adhesive ABS <> Wood

Hi,

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

I've never had much success using "superglue" with ABS and anyway that
stuff really requires a very close fit to be really effective.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Richard Sterry

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
Hi,

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

I've never had much success using "superglue" with ABS and anyway that
stuff really requires a very close fit to be really effective.

Hot melt glue? If gluing to MDF, you need a fair surface area as the surface
layer of the MDF comes away very easy if the glue does not penetrate the
surface, (which it won't with hot melt glue). Sticks to ABS very well.

Rick

BigWallop

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
Hi,

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

I've never had much success using "superglue" with ABS and anyway that
stuff really requires a very close fit to be really effective.

Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

No more nails any good for this?

John Rumm

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Hi,

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

I've never had much success using "superglue" with ABS and anyway that
stuff really requires a very close fit to be really effective.

Impact adhesive, I would have thought (Evil Stink and its ilk).

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Hi,

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

I've never had much success using "superglue" with ABS and anyway that
stuff really requires a very close fit to be really effective.

Epoxy works passably well, and car body filler may be somewhat better,
though brittle, but neither bonds exactly to abs - it is more like
excellent suction than a solid glue joint.

I'd think a spirit based rubbery glue like a evostik contact would be
first class - it will slightly dissolve teh ABS and do a good bond, but
gap fill it ain't.

A polyuretahne glue as used for shoes may be worth a try as well. Some
are foamie and should gap fill.

roy davidson

more of a question than an answer Feb Foam?

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:37:54 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

Thanks for the suggestions but after digging about some more on the
web it finally dawned that some solvent weld waste/overflow pipe is
ABS... As I happen to have some solvent weld "glue" in the pumbing kit
I tried that and it seems to have worked pretty well. Time will tell
of course.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:37:54 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

What would you use to glue ABS and wood (either ply, soft or MDF)
together? There is a need for some small gap filling abilty and be
slightly flexable (read not brittle when set). Preferably easyly
available from the sheds.

Thanks for the suggestions but after digging about some more on the
web it finally dawned that some solvent weld waste/overflow pipe is
ABS... As I happen to have some solvent weld "glue" in the pumbing kit
I tried that and it seems to have worked pretty well. Time will tell
of course.

It bonds to the plastic, but not really to the wood.
Dave Liquorice

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:10:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

... finally dawned that some solvent weld waste/overflow pipe is
ABS... As I happen to have some solvent weld "glue" in the pumbing
kit I tried that and it seems to have worked pretty well.

It bonds to the plastic, but not really to the wood.

It's done the trick, and is pretty damn firm. I haven't tested to
destruction as I glued the bits I needed glued not a test piece.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Morten

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.com...
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 13:10:02 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

... finally dawned that some solvent weld waste/overflow pipe is
ABS... As I happen to have some solvent weld "glue" in the pumbing
kit I tried that and it seems to have worked pretty well.

It bonds to the plastic, but not really to the wood.

Actually it disolves the ABS plastic and then evaporates leaving the ABS
plastic behind. I would think that if used with wood and ABS some of the
dissolved ABS would penetrate into the wood and stay there when the solvent
evaporated again, effectually creating a very strong bond, but I have never
tried this so can't say for sure...

It's done the trick, and is pretty damn firm. I haven't tested to
destruction as I glued the bits I needed glued not a test piece.

That seems to confirm my beliefs :-)

/Morten

---

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Morten wrote:
Actually it disolves the ABS plastic and then evaporates leaving the ABS
plastic behind. I would think that if used with wood and ABS some of the
dissolved ABS would penetrate into the wood and stay there when the
solvent evaporated again, effectually creating a very strong bond, but I
have never tried this so can't say for sure...

It seems pretty similar to balsa wood cement used on model aircraft.

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:53:03 -0000, Morten wrote:

Actually it disolves the ABS plastic and then evaporates leaving the
ABS plastic behind. I would think that if used with wood and ABS
some of the dissolved ABS would penetrate into the wood and stay
there when the solvent evaporated again,

There was only marginal wetting of the wood surface when I applied the
glue. I did clamp up the joint and leave it for a good 6 hours. Even
if there is no penetration into the wood there will be a very close
mating/moulding of the surfaces.

Mr Plowmans reference to Balsa cement might be correct but it is ages
since I used the stuff and memory doesn't tell me any difference in
the niff between polystyrene cement and solvent weld stuff. Google
google, MEK seems to be in polystyrene cement as well (along with
polystyrene resin). I'm *sure* I've tried polystrene cement on ABS
without success in the past...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Morten wrote:

Actually it disolves the ABS plastic and then evaporates leaving the ABS
plastic behind. I would think that if used with wood and ABS some of the
dissolved ABS would penetrate into the wood and stay there when the
solvent evaporated again, effectually creating a very strong bond, but I
have never tried this so can't say for sure...

It seems pretty similar to balsa wood cement used on model aircraft.

No, to polystrene cement used to make plastic kits.

Neither of which actually bond that well to wood.
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

[...]

All plastic cements are a solution of the appropiate plastic in one of a
few sorts of solvents.

Balsa cement is a different plasticentirely. It never worked at all on
most plastics. And was crap on balsa IIRC. These days one uses CA as an
infinitely better way to stick balsa matchsticks together...

My cocerne over the use of plsatic cement on teh wood is that it will be
more of a 'vacuum' bond and won;t really penetrrate the microstructures.

Hot melt glue works BTW.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
It seems pretty similar to balsa wood cement used on model aircraft.

No, to polystrene cement used to make plastic kits.

*balsa* wood kits.

--
*Could it be that "I do " is the longest sentence? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

It seems pretty similar to balsa wood cement used on model aircraft.

No, to polystrene cement used to make plastic kits.

*balsa* wood kits.

No. Polystrene cement does not work on balsa kits, and balsa cement does
not work on plastics.

ABS adhesive is much closer to polystyrene cement.

FAQ - Steambending gregg Woodworking 0 December 26th 04 02:06 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 027 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 December 23rd 04 06:15 PM
### micro-FAQ on wood # 013 P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 June 28th 04 09:55 AM
### everything you always wanted to know about wood (aka "micro-FAQ on wood") P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 0 December 22nd 03 05:09 PM