The Natural Philosopher

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:53:03 -0000, Morten wrote:

Actually it disolves the ABS plastic and then evaporates leaving the
ABS plastic behind. I would think that if used with wood and ABS
some of the dissolved ABS would penetrate into the wood and stay
there when the solvent evaporated again,

There was only marginal wetting of the wood surface when I applied the
glue. I did clamp up the joint and leave it for a good 6 hours. Even
if there is no penetration into the wood there will be a very close
mating/moulding of the surfaces.

Mr Plowmans reference to Balsa cement might be correct but it is ages
since I used the stuff and memory doesn't tell me any difference in
the niff between polystyrene cement and solvent weld stuff. Google
google, MEK seems to be in polystyrene cement as well (along with
polystyrene resin). I'm *sure* I've tried polystrene cement on ABS
without success in the past...

All plastic cements are a solution of the appropiate plastic in one of a
few sorts of solvents.

Balsa cement is a different plasticentirely. It never worked at all on
most plastics. And was crap on balsa IIRC. These days one uses CA as an
infinitely better way to stick balsa matchsticks together...

My cocerne over the use of plsatic cement on teh wood is that it will be
more of a 'vacuum' bond and won;t really penetrrate the microstructures.

Hot melt glue works BTW.