Ash

Default GU10 Replacements

A little while ago I posted about replacing GU10 Halogen Spots with LED
equivalents. The general opinion was that they were very good.

Since then decided to buy one and give it a go. Found it to be no where near
as bright as a halogen, but it does a good job of illuminating a specific
area in the kitchen.

I have replaced another failed GU10 halogen with a GU10 compact fluorescent
fitting. This I would say is just about as bright as a 50 watt halogen, uses
just 11 watts and is meant to have a life about 5 times longer than the
halogen lamp. They aren't cheap, I paid just under £10.00 for one at an
electrical wholesalers. They are slightly longer than the halogen, but they
sit nice and flush in my ceiling spot fittings.

As the halogen bulbs fail I think in future I will be replacing them with
the compact fluorescents. Anyone else had any experience using these? any
comments?

Ash

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Ash" writes:
A little while ago I posted about replacing GU10 Halogen Spots with LED
equivalents. The general opinion was that they were very good.

Really? There have been a few such threads, but they've all
indicated that LED GU10's will be pretty useless.

Since then decided to buy one and give it a go. Found it to be no where near
as bright as a halogen, but it does a good job of illuminating a specific
area in the kitchen.

I have replaced another failed GU10 halogen with a GU10 compact fluorescent
fitting. This I would say is just about as bright as a 50 watt halogen, uses
just 11 watts

As a general guide, multiply a compact fluorescent's power by 4 to get
the equivalent. These GU10's are probably worse than that because of the
problem of getting the light out from a reasonable length tube in such a
cramped space. However, they are flood lamps and may now be directly
lighting more of your kitchen than the previous GU10's did, which could
easily more than compensate. (You should judge their relative effectiveness
by how well they light the kitchen, rather than how bright they appear.)

and is meant to have a life about 5 times longer than the
halogen lamp.

Life of these tiny lamps may be significantly affected by their run
temperature, which in turn will depend on the fitting and ventilation.

They aren't cheap, I paid just under £10.00 for one at an
electrical wholesalers.

I've seen them cheaper in Homebase, but this may have been a 7W one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Ash

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ash" writes:
A little while ago I posted about replacing GU10 Halogen Spots with LED
equivalents. The general opinion was that they were very good.

Really? There have been a few such threads, but they've all
indicated that LED GU10's will be pretty useless.

Andrew - Oops, missed out the word 'not'. Sorry.

Ash

GU10 & Dimmer advice hobo UK diy 1 December 7th 04 12:19 PM
GU10 mains halogen bulbs Bill Scarab UK diy 13 December 1st 04 01:51 PM