Mark Hewitt

Default Noisy valves on radiators

We've just had an entirely new radiator system installed, the previous ones
never had thermostatic valves on them, so I've not had experience with them
before.

It's a Valient Combi boiler with convector radiators.. if that means
anything to anyone.

Anyway they work fine except for them being noisy when in operation, this is
mostly a problem at night as it makes it very difficult to get to sleep.

When the heating is switched off or the valve is closed there is no noise,
however when the valve is set to 3 (out of 5), it emits a very loud hissing
noise, similar to what you would expect water wooshing through a pipe to
sound like, occasionally emits a whistling noise although not as often. When
the valve is fully open (to 5) it doesn't make as much noise but still
sufficient to keep me awake.

The noise the valve makes can be quite loud, certainly loud enough to be
heard from the next room. The previous radiator setup didn't make any noise
at all apart from the metal expanding and contracting.

Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this noise problem and how to go
about solving it? We are going to get the installer back out soon but would
be good if I can point to something which may be the problem.

Christian McArdle

Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this noise problem and how to go
about solving it? We are going to get the installer back out soon but

would
be good if I can point to something which may be the problem.

The pump is probably set too fast. The whole system could do with going
through a balancing process, which should hopefully result in a lower pump
speed.

Christian.

Set Square

Mark Hewitt wrote:

[...]

If you've got a thick enough duvet, you don't need the heating on when
you're in bed!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Christian McArdle

The pump is probably set too fast. The whole system could do with going
through a balancing process, which should hopefully result in a lower pump
speed.

Also, replacement of the pump (if possible) with a Grundfos Alpha pump would
help. Alternatively, an automatic bypass valve can help relieve excessive
pump pressure during low flow situations that can occur when the TRVs are
partly open. Finally, ensure that you have a room thermostat and that this
room has a radiator with lockshield valves both ends to stop ignorant users
turning it off.

Christian.

Ash

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message
We've just had an entirely new radiator system installed, the previous
ones
Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this noise problem and how to
go

about solving it? We are going to get the installer back out soon but
would be good if I can point to something which may be the problem.

I had this problem in a previous house, turned out the thermostatic radiator
valves on some rads were either the wrong way round or at the wrong end.

Ash

John Rumm

Mark Hewitt wrote:

Anyone got any ideas as to what's causing this noise problem and how to go
about solving it? We are going to get the installer back out soon but would
be good if I can point to something which may be the problem.

I have noticed that you get sightly more noise out of some thermostatic
valves when they are on the return side of the rad rather than the flow
side (even the supposedly bi-directional valves). Might be worth
checking which way round yours are. A good balance may help as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:
When the heating is switched off or the valve is closed there is no
noise, however when the valve is set to 3 (out of 5), it emits a very
loud hissing noise, similar to what you would expect water wooshing
through a pipe to sound like, occasionally emits a whistling noise
although not as often. When the valve is fully open (to 5) it doesn't
make as much noise but still sufficient to keep me awake.

Most TRVs these days will work equally well on the flow or return, but may
be noisier on the return. You can check which is which by feeling both
pipes from cold - the feed will heat up first. Check that they don't have
an arrow on them indicating flow - and if they have and are fitted on the
wrong end they'll certainly be noisy. What make are they?

Also, have a look at the FAQ on balancing a system. While one with TRVs
might work ok without balancing, doing this thoroughly will almost
certainly allow the pump to be set to a lower speed. There are also fancy
ones which modulate their speed - but those cost money.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
ski

You need a differential bypass valve fitted. Even though most trv's say that
they can be fitted on both flow or return you will find that some will still
make a noise. Sometimes you can reduce the speed of the pump on the boiler
but check with the boiler manufacturer first.

[...]

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:
Well at the moment the bypass, which is a heated towel rail has been
removed because it was leaking.

Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of problems with this
installation.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark Hewitt

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:
Well at the moment the bypass, which is a heated towel rail has been
removed because it was leaking.

Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of problems with this
installation.

I woudn't say so, but then anything we install is always frought with
problems so when there is just a couple of issues then I regard it as a
sucess!

The problems are just the two I described, the towel rail leaking, probably
because the connector pipes are different distances from the wall, this
resulting in twisting stress being put on the radiator which started to
leak. Plus the noise on the valves.

However even now when I turn the valve off to almost zero.. it is still
making a noise!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark Hewitt wrote:
Sounds like you've had more than your fair share of problems with this
installation.

I woudn't say so, but then anything we install is always frought with
problems so when there is just a couple of issues then I regard it as a
sucess!

The problems are just the two I described, the towel rail leaking,
probably because the connector pipes are different distances from the
wall, this resulting in twisting stress being put on the radiator which
started to leak. Plus the noise on the valves.

However even now when I turn the valve off to almost zero.. it is still
making a noise!

Thought I read it was losing pressure which would rather worry me as it
suggests a leak. If I've confused you with someone else sorry to slander
your plumber. ;-)

--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Mark Hewitt

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

Thought I read it was losing pressure which would rather worry me as it
suggests a leak. If I've confused you with someone else sorry to slander
your plumber. ;-)

That's right but it does seem to be fine with regards to pressure since.
touch wood!

Charles Middleton

Set Square wrote:

If you've got a thick enough duvet, you don't need the heating on

when
you're in bed!

Hi, I used to say that but Ive started to leave mine ticking over at
night now. Although my body was warm breathing in the cold air had an
strange effect on me!

CM.