Milleniumaire

Default Sticking Thermostatic Radiator Valves

The central heating system in the house that I bought as new 5 years
ago is fitted with Pegler Terrier II thermostatic radiator valves.
About a year ago I noticed that on a couple of radiators even when the
valve was turned off (* setting) the radiator remained hot so I
assumed the valve had failed and replaced both valves. Having just
drained the system and refilled it with Fernox cleaner I have noticed
that another 3 radiators are staying hot when the heating is on
regardless of whether the valve is turned off or not! It seems that
the small pin is not being pushed down by the head. I have tried
swapping the heads with heads from other radiators which are working
okay but this doesn't seem to make any difference. This confuses me
as I thought the problem was in the head not in the valve (the part
connected to the radiator).

Can anyone explain how these valves work and what is going wrong? Is
there any way of repairing them or do they need to be changed? Have I
got a bad make and need to switch all the valves before they continue
to fail (I would rather resolve the problem in one attempt rather than
spend the next 5 years having to change individual valves as they
fail).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Regards.
Paul.
Set Square

Milleniumaire wrote:

[...]

Have you tried removing the heads and pressing the pins down manually? This
should unstick them if they are stuck. The bellows in the TRV can't exert as
much force as you can! Many of these valves are supplied with an alternative
(manual) head - for turning the valve off positively when decorating etc.
Have you got any of these? If so, what happens when you fit one and screw it
down?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Milleniumaire

Pressing the pins down seems to have loosened them up and they are
"currently" working but I suspect it is just a matter of time before
they stick again!

Thanks.

Paul.

"Set Square" wrote in message ...
Milleniumaire wrote:

[...]

chris French

In message ,
Milleniumaire writes
Pressing the pins down seems to have loosened them up and they are
"currently" working but I suspect it is just a matter of time before
they stick again!

When you finally get fed up with them, ditch them and replace them with
Drayton TRV4s ' in a recent survey, 8 out of 10 uk.d-i-y'ers said they
preferred the taste'
--
Chris French, Leeds
Milleniumaire

I have been liaising with somebody at Pegler via email about my
problem with sticking pins and they tell me that "The Pegler Terrier
II has never sufferred from this problem". So there you have it -
from the horses mouth. I must be "imagining" that 5 out of the 16
Pegler Terrier II TRV's fitted to my radiators are failing to open or
close because the pins in the valves are sticking! I have noticed
that in each of these valves there is a hint of leakage so I suspect
that rust/limescale is causing the pins to stick.

I will be replacing the valves with a different make to ensure that I
don't "imagine" this problem again.

Paul.

chris French wrote in message ...
In message ,
Milleniumaire writes
Pressing the pins down seems to have loosened them up and they are
"currently" working but I suspect it is just a matter of time before
they stick again!

When you finally get fed up with them, ditch them and replace them with
Drayton TRV4s ' in a recent survey, 8 out of 10 uk.d-i-y'ers said they
preferred the taste'

Junior Member

Sounds to me like Pegler are being economical with the truth. I'm reading this post 8 years later - but have had ongoing similar problems with all the Pegler Terrier TRVs that were fitted when my new CH system was installed in Mar 2003. I think almost half of them have leaked or stuck. I similarly rang Pegler - who said this was unheard of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleniumaire View Post
I have been liaising with somebody at Pegler via email about my
problem with sticking pins and they tell me that "The Pegler Terrier
II has never sufferred from this problem". So there you have it -
from the horses mouth. I must be "imagining" that 5 out of the 16
Pegler Terrier II TRV's fitted to my radiators are failing to open or
close because the pins in the valves are sticking! I have noticed
that in each of these valves there is a hint of leakage so I suspect
that rust/limescale is causing the pins to stick.

I will be replacing the valves with a different make to ensure that I
don't "imagine" this problem again.

Paul.

chris French wrote in message ...
In message
,
Milleniumaire
writes
Pressing the pins down seems to have loosened them up and they are
"currently" working but I suspect it is just a matter of time before
they stick again!

When you finally get fed up with them, ditch them and replace them with
Drayton TRV4s ' in a recent survey, 8 out of 10 uk.d-i-y'ers said they
preferred the taste'
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Milleniumaire, Gromit wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I fitted the same TRVs in my brand new
installation in 2006 and within 3 years eight out of 11 had failed - they do
not turn off even with the 'decorating head' fitted (a simple screw cap that
you use to turn it off for radiator removal when decorating). I managed to get
Pegler to send me five replacements and fitted them, but now ALL of them
(original and replacements) have failed. I cannot believe this, as Pegler are
supposed to be high quality, and I've had them from batches three years apart.
My system was all-new throughout and was flushed and inhibited with Sentinel
products so the TRVs have had the best environment to work in (or in this case
not work in!).

When I get the time and energy I will be replacing all 11 TRVs with Drayton
TRV4s which I used in my previous house and only had one head failure but no
valve body failures. I guess Pegler have been resting on their reputation for
too long now, along with the likes of MK etc. Once fine British companies, but
no more.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gromit m writes:
[...]

I vaguely recall one of the manufacturers' TRVs (might have been Pegler)
turned out to be incompatible with inhibitor. Another poster here got
them all replaced for free due to this.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2017 15:44, Gromit wrote:
[...]

Take off the thermostatic head, slacken the inner brass nut half a turn,
depress the pin a few times to make sure free, tighten up nut, replace
head. Job done.

Works on all my Peglar TRV's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Take off the thermostatic head, slacken the inner brass nut half a
turn, depress the pin a few times to make sure free, tighten up nut,
replace head. Job done.

Works on all my Peglar TRV's.

Surely if they are not turning off with the decorator cap it implies the
rubber washer has disintigrated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2017 09:35, DerbyBorn wrote:

Take off the thermostatic head, slacken the inner brass nut half a
turn, depress the pin a few times to make sure free, tighten up nut,
replace head. Job done.

Works on all my Peglar TRV's.

Surely if they are not turning off with the decorator cap it implies the
rubber washer has disintigrated.

No, not at all. If the pin is stuck (which most of mine have at some
point) then no amount of reasonable force seems to free it. But just
relaesing the inner nut half a turn always does free it - don't know
why. Having freed the pin and applied a bit of WD40 never had the
problem again on the same valve. just giving you my experience with
Peglar TRV's.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely if they are not turning off with the decorator cap it implies the
rubber washer has disintigrated.

No, not at all. If the pin is stuck (which most of mine have at some
point) then no amount of reasonable force seems to free it. But just
relaesing the inner nut half a turn always does free it - don't know
why. Having freed the pin and applied a bit of WD40 never had the
problem again on the same valve. just giving you my experience with
Peglar TRV's.

I would have thought the decorators cap - to screw down, must be depressing
the plunger all the way as that is its role. If the plunger is right down
then why wouldn't it turn off?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2017 15:28, DerbyBorn wrote:

Surely if they are not turning off with the decorator cap it implies the
rubber washer has disintigrated.

No, not at all. If the pin is stuck (which most of mine have at some
point) then no amount of reasonable force seems to free it. But just
relaesing the inner nut half a turn always does free it - don't know
why. Having freed the pin and applied a bit of WD40 never had the
problem again on the same valve. just giving you my experience with
Peglar TRV's.

I would have thought the decorators cap - to screw down, must be depressing
the plunger all the way as that is its role. If the plunger is right down
then why wouldn't it turn off?

That's the problem - the pin gets stuck mid travel - not when it is
closed, hence putting the decorators cap and tightening as much as
possible will not shift it. I do not know why they stick at a partially
open to fully open position, but 6 (out of 14) of my Peglar (Terrier)
TRVs have done that so far - I installed them around 5 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Bennet, kenned wrote:
Tried your "inner nut half turn" advice on my Pegler TRV. Worked first shot.
No need to drain down system - was a bit worried about water going everywhere
but this operation was performed without seeing a single drop.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Milleniumaire, Alicia Weston wrote:
Yeah I have about 10 of the damn things and I have had the same problem with
about 4 of them. Very disappointed with the quality

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Bennet, Dave. A. wrote:
Good advice Andy, works a treat. Thank you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Whenever you have to reply via this broken interface, always cut and past
the reply as as well as not caring what year it is it breaks the trhead as
well.
brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Dave. A." m wrote in
message ...
replying to Andy Bennet, Dave. A. wrote:
Good advice Andy, works a treat. Thank you.
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TSP TSP is offline

replying to Andy Bennet, TSP wrote:
That worked a treat. Thanks so much Andy Bennett. Perfect advice to easily
resolve Pegler TRV with pin stuck fully open. Ive tried searching all over,
and no one else gave this advice. So simple.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Now all we need is to fix Home owners club usenet interface to quote the
post people reply to and sort their messages by year not just month and
life might be more bearable...
:-)

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"TSP" m wrote in message
replying to Andy Bennet, TSP wrote:
That worked a treat. Thanks so much Andy Bennett. Perfect advice to easily
resolve Pegler TRV with pin stuck fully open. I've tried searching all
over,
and no one else gave this advice. So simple.
--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Bennet, B W. wrote:
Thanks just tried this trick and seems to have worked. If only Id known as
previously Ive replaced 4 or 5 peeler trvs. . Cheers

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...es-106238-.htm