r.p.mcmurphy

Default Spots for zone 2?

doing me bathroom up. swmbo wants halogen spots...b&q have some suitable
for zone 3...but it looks like i need em for zone 2. am ordering from TLC a
pull cord dimmer so would like to order from them. are low voltage spots
zone 2 compatible?

Steve

Mike

"r.p.mcmurphy" wrote in message
doing me bathroom up. swmbo wants halogen spots...b&q have some suitable
for zone 3...but it looks like i need em for zone 2. am ordering from TLC

pull cord dimmer so would like to order from them. are low voltage spots
zone 2 compatible?

Most say not but I cannot work out why. I took a typical electronic
transformer apart and it seemed adequately insulated. But if you get a
proper transformer instead (e.g. Wickes) then I can't see how it won't be
compatible.

John Rumm

r.p.mcmurphy wrote:

doing me bathroom up. swmbo wants halogen spots...b&q have some suitable
for zone 3...but it looks like i need em for zone 2. am ordering from TLC a
pull cord dimmer so would like to order from them. are low voltage spots
zone 2 compatible?

You ought to get IP65 rated spots:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...gen/index.html

These will resist even direct water jets.

They can go in zone 2 (or Zone 1 even since they meet the regs
requirment of SELV and IPX4 or better).

--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm

Mike wrote:

Most say not but I cannot work out why. I took a typical electronic
transformer apart and it seemed adequately insulated. But if you get a
proper transformer instead (e.g. Wickes) then I can't see how it won't be
compatible.

Point your shower at it.... if the fitting fills up with water and the
bulb goes bang (perhaps even showering you with hot glass in the
process), then you can be fairly safe in assuming it was not compatible ;-)

The issue is more one of the fitting being waterproof, rather than the
voltage being dangerous. Having said that you may find a good many
transformers are not intended to offer any protection from water, so if
the fitting lets water past, and you have a local transformer with mains
on the other side of it stuck in close proximity to the fitting, then
you have a problem with the electrical side as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Mike

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

Most say not but I cannot work out why. I took a typical electronic
transformer apart and it seemed adequately insulated. But if you get a
proper transformer instead (e.g. Wickes) then I can't see how it won't

be
compatible.

Point your shower at it.... if the fitting fills up with water and the
bulb goes bang (perhaps even showering you with hot glass in the
process), then you can be fairly safe in assuming it was not compatible

;-)

The issue is more one of the fitting being waterproof, rather than the
voltage being dangerous. Having said that you may find a good many
transformers are not intended to offer any protection from water, so if
the fitting lets water past, and you have a local transformer with mains
on the other side of it stuck in close proximity to the fitting, then
you have a problem with the electrical side as well.

But the typical 12volt halogen works underwater - my pond is full of them.