Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Kathy Ober

Default oily spots on clothes from washer

Help! My washing maching is leaving oily spots (like vegetable oil) on my
clothes. It is very random, and sometimes leaves lots of spots on a lot of
clothes, and sometimes just a few tiny spots on one piece of clothing. I've
had the repairman look at it, and so far he's replaced the transmission and
the agitator.....but no luck. I've taken the washing machine apart and
cleaned it, and even switched detergents several times. At one point I
thought my dryer sheets were responsible and switched to fabric softener,
but that wasn't it. I'm not sure what else to try other than to just buy
another washer. Can anyone help??

Dan O.

Kathy Ober wrote

My washing maching is leaving oily spots (like
vegetable oil) on my clothes. It is very random,
and sometimes leaves lots of spots on a lot
of clothes, and sometimes just a few tiny spots
on one piece of clothing.

I've had the repairman look at it, and so far he's
replaced the transmission and the agitator....
but no luck. I've taken the washing machine apart
and cleaned it, and even switched detergents
several times.

At one point I thought my dryer sheets were
responsible and switched to fabric softener,
but that wasn't it.

Have you *absolutely* determined that the stains are coming from the washer
and not the dryer? Have you inspected the clothing before putting them into
the dryer and seen the spots?

Do the stains wash out or are they permanent?

What make and model number is your washer? You can find tips for locating
the model number on your appliances in the 'Repair Parts' section of my site
linked below.

TKM wrote in message ...

If your machine is a top loader, then the likely source
of the oil is the seal at the top of the agitator shaft.

Usually those would be new if the transmission was replaced like the OP
said.

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=clothes+washer

=Ð~~~~~~

Kathy Ober

Well, I'm not absolutely sure they're coming from the washer...but the dryer
seems to be clean.

I've not seen the spots out of the washer, but the clothes are still wet,
and these are light spots.

Most of the time the stains come out after a second or third washing, but
sometimes they stay for good.

I have a Maytag Performa washer. I'll check the model number and check your
website. Thanks!

Kathy Ober wrote