ian mayo

Default Treating Wendy House

Hi all,
we've bought an ex-display Wendy House from a Shed Company. The house has
been out all season, and needs treating sooner rather than later.

Since it's a play-house we'd like to paint it in nice kid's colours, but it
appears that the only good preservatives are in dull fence colours.

Talking to the paint-expert in B & Q Depot, he said we could use a nice
Ronseal colour, the apply a clear varnish. We don't really want shiny walls
however.

The Ronseal brochure says that their "Garden Makeover" paints include a wax
preservative.

Do you real experts out there think that a wax-based colourant needs a
top-coat of varnish?

We'd like to get 10 years out of the Wendy house, and would be happy to
treat it annually.

Cheers,

Ian.

Christian McArdle

Since it's a play-house we'd like to paint it in nice kid's colours, but
it
appears that the only good preservatives are in dull fence colours.

If you want solid colour, use paint. Something like Dulux Trade
Weathershield Quick Drying Satin, on top of the preservative primer and
undercoat. It'll last multiples of the length of shed & fence preservative
and comes in no less than 620 colours. Avoid dark colours if possible. Light
colours are longer lasting, as they reflect more UV.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:38:15 -0000, "ian mayo"
wrote:

[...]

Try having a look at Jotun paints products. I have a garden
building that I wanted to treat with a good quality finish which would
last as well as not being too dull or synthetically bright or glossy..

I used their Trebitt product, which should last you until the kids are
almost grown up. For my application, I wanted quite neutral colours
but this product can be coloured to anything you like. I used three
coats and the finish is approximately satin and slightly translucent.
I sprayed it, but it could be brushed.

The UK site www.jotun.co.uk, is not very good, but the original
Norwegian one is. Go to www.jotun.no then click on 'Male ute'
followed by 'Farge og Ideer' and then click on some of the links.
There is an online colour tool as well.

You can contact their UK number by phone and they will send you a
colour chart. http://www.thornhamsupplies.co.uk/index.html is one
of several UK suppliers.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM
A challenge for old house lovers Mike Mitchell UK diy 322 September 30th 04 12:29 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
Living in house while adding second floor HouseDreamer Home Repair 3 August 12th 03 03:52 AM