Tim Downie

Default Grumbling fan oven bearings

How long can I expect my fan over motor to last now that it's started to
make grumbling noises? Is it going to die soon or can they grumble for
years?

Tim

--
Remove the obvious to reply by email.

Richard Sterry

Tim Downie wrote:
How long can I expect my fan over motor to last now that it's started to
make grumbling noises? Is it going to die soon or can they grumble for
years?

Tim

Difficult to answer, but when mine started doing it (previous house) I took
it out and lubricated the bearings - problem solved.

Rick

Ian Stirling

Tim Downie wrote:
How long can I expect my fan over motor to last now that it's started to
make grumbling noises? Is it going to die soon or can they grumble for
years?

Fans can last for years in this state, or die fairly soon.
I find that opening these sort of things up, and adding a tiny, tiny
smear of grease helps for 6 months to a few years.
Pay attention to sealing of the bearing, if it had tape or something
over it, clean scrupulously, before replacing similar tape.

High temperature grease is probably easiest to find in your local car shop.
A little goes a long way.
Harry Bloomfield

Tim Downie wrote on 19/04/2004 :
How long can I expect my fan over motor to last now that it's started to
make grumbling noises? Is it going to die soon or can they grumble for
years?

Tim

After putting up with our fan oven making lots of noise for months, I
pulled it apart to that it was the fan blades which were loose and
making the noise. I simply tightenend the screws, end of noise.

The fan is mounted directly on the motor, so it will be the motor
bearings grumbling. It could last for many years or it might seize
tomorrow. As someone else suggested, try and get a bit of HMP grease
into the motor bearings. Not easy, as they are usually sintered bronze
bushes.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org