Harry Bloomfield

Default Grumbling fan oven bearings

Tim Downie wrote on 19/04/2004 :
How long can I expect my fan over motor to last now that it's started to
make grumbling noises? Is it going to die soon or can they grumble for
years?

Tim

After putting up with our fan oven making lots of noise for months, I
pulled it apart to that it was the fan blades which were loose and
making the noise. I simply tightenend the screws, end of noise.

The fan is mounted directly on the motor, so it will be the motor
bearings grumbling. It could last for many years or it might seize
tomorrow. As someone else suggested, try and get a bit of HMP grease
into the motor bearings. Not easy, as they are usually sintered bronze
bushes.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org