EricP

Default Makro Nupower Drill (Incredible Price)

8/12/04 offer.

24 Volt Cordless. 2 Batteries. Only £14.99

If anyone is tempted by this "incredible price", take a tip and buy
yourself a hand drill, it will out perform this one by a long way.

Basically, this drill is absolute crap and they must be dumping it.

It doesn't hold a charge for any time, and if you charge it for 1
hour, it lasts 5 minutes drilling into soft walls with a 2mm bit. An
18 hour charge is not much better.

Also it has the torque of an 85 year old arthritic granny.

Al Reynolds

"EricP" wrote:
24 Volt Cordless. 2 Batteries. Only £14.99

If anyone is tempted by this "incredible price", take a tip and buy
yourself a hand drill, it will out perform this one by a long way.

Basically, this drill is absolute crap and they must be dumping it.

It doesn't hold a charge for any time, and if you charge it for 1
hour, it lasts 5 minutes drilling into soft walls with a 2mm bit. An
18 hour charge is not much better.

Also it has the torque of an 85 year old arthritic granny.

Cue long discussion veering between the two camps:
(i) you get what you pay for - spend £100 on a drill
(ii) but I can buy 4 of these for the same money so why bother.

Al

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
EricP writes:
8/12/04 offer.

24 Volt Cordless. 2 Batteries. Only £14.99

If anyone is tempted by this "incredible price", take a tip and buy
yourself a hand drill, it will out perform this one by a long way.

Basically, this drill is absolute crap and they must be dumping it.

It doesn't hold a charge for any time, and if you charge it for 1
hour, it lasts 5 minutes drilling into soft walls with a 2mm bit. An
18 hour charge is not much better.

Also it has the torque of an 85 year old arthritic granny.

I bought a similar one from CPC, 24V, 1 battery, 3-5 hour recharge.
(They also had another combo -- same drill but with 2 batteries
and a 1 hour charger). I wasn't expecting it to be brilliant,
it's not a 1000W SDS drill, but it doesn't seem to have the problems
yours has. Actually, I was using it a few days ago with a 6 x 450mm
masonary bit to nearly full length a number of times, and it worked
fine. I don't know how long the battery lasts, because I've never
managed to run it flat. Check how long you are supposed to charge
the battery -- mine warns you not to exceed 5 hours or you'll damage
it. I know they do different charge rate versions, so your's might
not be the same. Failing that, take it back as faulty.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Michael Mcneil

"EricP" wrote in message

I think I will try to take it back, it's not much use for anything
else. (

You do know these things sometimes need running in don't you?

You may have a faulty charger. You don't need a 3 to 5 hour wait for a
recharge so exchange it for the 1 hour charge version.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 00:35:22 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

"EricP" wrote in message

I think I will try to take it back, it's not much use for anything
else. (

You do know these things sometimes need running in don't you?

You may have a faulty charger. You don't need a 3 to 5 hour wait for a
recharge so exchange it for the 1 hour charge version.

Exchange for cash would be a better option.....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Michael Mcneil

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

Exchange for cash would be a better option.....

Unless one is preternaturally unable to see that sort of stuff as much
other than beer tokens.

What could be a fairly useful tool might easily turn out to be a fairly
heavy session in that case.

Kalico

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:34:31 GMT, EricP wrote:

[snip]

I think I will try to take it back, it's not much use for anything
else. (

I've used these cheap NuTool power tools for some time now and found
them very good for the price.

If they were more expensive then they would be rubbish for the money.

However, they do give a 2 year guarantee and I have always found Makro
fine about taking them back. My best yet was returning an SDS drill
to Makro after 20 months of total abuse.

Of course they did not sell that model any more so happily refunded
the money. I then walked down the aisle and bought a later, more
powerful version for £10 less than the previous model.

Being paid £10 for best part of 2 years use is not bad economics!

If you use these tools everyday and things like weight are important
then spend more money. If they are used occasionally for DIY use then
you cannot beat the throw-away concept of their price.

Rob

Replace 'spam' with 'org' to reply
Badger

Kalico wrote:
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 16:34:31 GMT, EricP wrote:

[snip]

I think I will try to take it back, it's not much use for anything
else. (

I've used these cheap NuTool power tools for some time now and found
them very good for the price.

If they were more expensive then they would be rubbish for the money.

We bought them for work, the students wreck things so cheap throw aways
are better lasting 3-6 months than expensive ones.
Got me a nutool 24v for Scouting/portable radio operations/ odd diy
where the corded is a pain, 6 months on its still fine.
One of the NTL installers I know only buys nutool from makro now as all
his expensive stuff either got nicked or damaged by his workmates, if a
30 quid drill goes walkies/fails its not such a problem as a 300 quid
bosch...Esp. as he carries 2 in the van.
StealthUK

CPC are doing a 36v Cordless SDS in their current mailshot for £36.99 plus vodka.
Just thought I'd mention it. :-)

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

fine. I don't know how long the battery lasts, because I've never
managed to run it flat. Check how long you are supposed to charge
the battery -- mine warns you not to exceed 5 hours or you'll damage
it. I know they do different charge rate versions, so your's might
not be the same. Failing that, take it back as faulty.

On the same battery subject,
When I bought my 18V Ryobi from screwfix, one battery was fine, the
other didn't take a charge (well, the charger thought it was charged
after ony 5 minutes)

After half a dozen power discharge/recharge cycles, it now takes a full
charge, and I can't tell which was the dodgy one anymore.

Might be the same problem.

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Andy Hall

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:51:47 GMT, EricP wrote:

8/12/04 offer.

24 Volt Cordless. 2 Batteries. Only £14.99

If anyone is tempted by this "incredible price", take a tip and buy
yourself a hand drill, it will out perform this one by a long way.

Basically, this drill is absolute crap and they must be dumping it.

It doesn't hold a charge for any time, and if you charge it for 1
hour, it lasts 5 minutes drilling into soft walls with a 2mm bit. An
18 hour charge is not much better.

Also it has the torque of an 85 year old arthritic granny.

... and the shop smells uncared for.....