Brian

Default Fitting wall lights in the bedroom ?

How easy is it to install two wall lights onto our bedroom wall?
Access to the loft space is easy and I can find the present wiring
for the central ceiling light and switch, which will remain, but I
want to put two reading lights on the wall . The wall is a plaster and
straw lath cavity wall, old but reasonably sound and will take light
loads such as lights fittings.
Thanks

Brian
BigWallop

"Brian" wrote in message
om...
How easy is it to install two wall lights onto our bedroom wall?
Access to the loft space is easy and I can find the present wiring
for the central ceiling light and switch, which will remain, but I
want to put two reading lights on the wall . The wall is a plaster and
straw lath cavity wall, old but reasonably sound and will take light
loads such as lights fittings.
Thanks

Brian

Find where the studs are. Pick the two studs between which you want to
position the light fitting. Then slide the lid off plastic trunking down
between the studs and behind the lathes.

Cut the hole to take the back box for the light fitting, then hunt in the
hole for the lid off the plastic trunking. Hopefully you'll have pushed the
lid down to where the fitting is going to go.

You'll also need switching to control the separate lights. So you can cut
another hole down beside the bed at the height you need, then continue the
wiring passed the light fitting to the hole for the switch.

Do you know if you can pick up a continuous supply in the loft for the new
lights? Maybe from a junction box on the lighting circuits?

Do you need switching on both sides of the bed to control both lights from
either side?

Do you know how two way switching works?

Do you know what rating of cable you'll need for this job?

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Fixing a wall plate on a dense concrete block wall Jas Virdee UK diy 5 July 28th 04 09:00 AM
"Damp" internal wall - initial measurements made. Any ideas? Clive Long,UK UK diy 5 January 30th 04 09:28 AM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited jeff Home Ownership 1 August 20th 03 12:06 AM