Lorna

Default New plaster

Just had an extension built and the internals have been plastered. Some is
dark brown, some light. Assume that the dark means it's wet so I'm waiting
for it to go light before we paint. Two things :
1) People have told us to add water to the paint. Why should this be done?
What will happen if we dont? How much water should be added?
2) Can we paint straight onto the plaster or do we need to rough it up to
make the paint stick?

BigWallop

"Lorna" wrote in message
Just had an extension built and the internals have been plastered. Some is
dark brown, some light. Assume that the dark means it's wet so I'm waiting
for it to go light before we paint. Two things :
1) People have told us to add water to the paint. Why should this be done?
What will happen if we dont? How much water should be added?
2) Can we paint straight onto the plaster or do we need to rough it up to
make the paint stick?

New plaster will soak up a lot of paint before you get a proper finish on
it. Diluting the emulsion paint is a way to prevent you using gallons of
paint on the plaster before you begin to see a good finish.

The best method of all is to cover the walls with a good lining paper before
applying painted finishes. Make the wallpaper paste thin enough to soak
into the paper and allow it to stretch out a bit before offering the paper
to the wall. Once the paper is dried out properly, seal it with one or two
coats of dilute cheap emulsion paint, any colour as long as it's white.
Follow this with two coats of the colour of emulsion paint you want.

This gives you the option to change the walls back to the plaster and
starting again in a few years when your sick of the colour scheme. By
removing the lining paper with a steam stripper, it's easier than trying to
scrape the paint off and damaging the plaster again.

Christian McArdle

The best method of all is to cover the walls with a good lining paper
before
applying painted finishes.

The idea of having my walls plastered and then butchering the lovely smooth
seamless surface with paper I simply can't understand.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

1) People have told us to add water to the paint. Why should this be done?
What will happen if we dont? How much water should be added?

This seals the plaster. The plaster will be very thirsty and will drink the
extra water, leading to less cracking than would occur with an artificial
drying out of the paint film before it is ready.

2) Can we paint straight onto the plaster or do we need to rough it up to
make the paint stick?

No roughing up. Some give the surface a quick sand, but I don't bother.

Go to your nearest Dulux Trade centre and ask for Supermatt emulsion in the
colour of your choice. This is an excellent paint that is specifically
designed for new plaster and allows it to breathe. Apply a first coat of
diluted Supermatt. I use white, as it can cover walls and ceilings
simultaneously and is off the shelf. Then one or two coats of the Supermatt,
doing ceilings first so the paint splatter on the walls doesn't matter. I
normally intend to use 2 coats, but find that 1 coat appears to have already
done the trick.

A roller produces the best finish without horrible brush marks. (Paint
spraying might be better still, but requires expensive equipment and much
preparation).

Christian.

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Lorna" writes:
Just had an extension built and the internals have been plastered. Some is
dark brown, some light. Assume that the dark means it's wet so I'm waiting
for it to go light before we paint. Two things :
1) People have told us to add water to the paint. Why should this be done?

Thinning the paint helps carry it into the surface of the plaster
and make it stick.

What will happen if we dont?

The plaster will suck the water/solvent straight out of the paint
without drawing any of the body of the paint into the plaster surface,
and the paint won't stick to the wall. Often this causes the first
coat to come off when you try to apply a second coat, and/or all the
layers to wear or even fall off the wall at a later date.

How much water should be added?

It will normally say on the tin -- something like 10%. If the plaster
is very smooth and polished, add a bit more than this.

2) Can we paint straight onto the plaster or do we need to rough it up to
make the paint stick?

This depends how polished it is. You can polish up plaster like a sheet
of glass, but then it's difficult to make the paint stick. If there are
any hightly polished areas, you might want to take the shine off with
sandpaper first.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mo Thanku

I am no expert on the subject but we just had the whole house
replastered 6 rooms once the plaster dried, we primed seal it with
Dulux plaster sealer.

With the lining papper it seems like all the hassel of wallpapering is
still there.

Best reagrds

"Lorna" wrote in message ...
Just had an extension built and the internals have been plastered. Some is
dark brown, some light. Assume that the dark means it's wet so I'm waiting
for it to go light before we paint. Two things :
1) People have told us to add water to the paint. Why should this be done?
What will happen if we dont? How much water should be added?
2) Can we paint straight onto the plaster or do we need to rough it up to
make the paint stick?

Lurch

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:00:44 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
strung together this:

The idea of having my walls plastered and then butchering the lovely smooth
seamless surface with paper I simply can't understand.

Baffled me too.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd
PM

"BigWallop" wrote in message
.uk...

This gives you the option to change the walls back to the plaster and
starting again in a few years when your sick of the colour scheme. By
removing the lining paper with a steam stripper, it's easier than trying

scrape the paint off and damaging the plaster again.

Why would you strip the paint off rather than just painting over it?

Michael Mcneil

"PM" wrote in message

Why would you strip the paint off rather than just painting over it?

Cause it's covered in paper underneath, dummy. Can't you read?

You don't need to sand it unless it is highly polished.
Just give it a week from new and paint it with a couple of coats of
trade emulsion. That stuff comes in white or magnolia. You can add a
small pot of trial acrylic sample to change it if you like.

After a few months, paint it any colour you like. The cheap trade
emulsion allows the plaster to breathe whilse it dries fully.

Lorna

"Michael Mcneil" wrote in message
news:8168d03e471d6296926af9559db162a7.45219@mygate .mailgate.org...
"PM" wrote in message

Why would you strip the paint off rather than just painting over it?

Cause it's covered in paper underneath, dummy. Can't you read?

You don't need to sand it unless it is highly polished.
Just give it a week from new and paint it with a couple of coats of
trade emulsion. That stuff comes in white or magnolia. You can add a
small pot of trial acrylic sample to change it if you like.

After a few months, paint it any colour you like. The cheap trade
emulsion allows the plaster to breathe whilse it dries fully.

Is that because the trade emulsion is watered down anyway or am I being too
cynical?
It does sound like a sensible way to go to use cheap trade paint and cover
it a couple of months later with what we want when it's all settled.

I hadn't intended on redecorating for years after doing the first coat - I
hate moving furniture around :-)

Thanks for the advice - most helpful.

Peter

video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
Tips Needed on Plastering Bodysnatcher UK diy 7 August 10th 04 01:36 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM