Lobster

Default Dates for Part P?

I know Part P "comes into effect" on January 1 but can someone clarify what
this actually means... eg if I start rewiring a house before January 1 (ie
very shortly, which is my intention) and it's not going to be complete by
then, do I have to rush off to the council on 2 Jan and put in a building
regs notice?

If not, how long I have I got to complete the project, and would I need some
form of proof (if so what?) as to when I started the work?

(Sorry I know this has been covered here before but I can't find it amidst
the plethora a Part P posts!)

Thanks
David

Ben Blaukopf

Lobster wrote:
I know Part P "comes into effect" on January 1 but can someone clarify what
this actually means... eg if I start rewiring a house before January 1 (ie
very shortly, which is my intention) and it's not going to be complete by
then, do I have to rush off to the council on 2 Jan and put in a building
regs notice?

If not, how long I have I got to complete the project, and would I need some
form of proof (if so what?) as to when I started the work?

Well, quite. No one prior to Jan 1st will have proof of when they
started the work. So it seems to me that unless it can be shown that
the work was done after Jan 1st, then there's no problem. I shall be
changing various arrangements in my kitchen in December - doesn't really
bother me if I'm not done by January (from a legal point of view, that
is! I'd just as soon get the work done as quickly as possible).

Ben

Andy Wade

Lobster wrote:

I know Part P "comes into effect" on January 1 but can someone clarify what
this actually means...

There are transitional provisions in Regulation 3 of the SI[1] which
vary depending on the type of work and whether other notifiable work is
involved. The most relevant is probably Regulation 3(6) which says:

"(6) In relation to building work of a description added to Schedule 2A
by regulation 2(10) (installation of fixed low or extra-low voltage
electrical installations in dwellings) where the contract for the work
was entered into before 1st January 2005 and the work was completed
before 1st April 2005, the principal Regulations shall continue to apply
to that building work as if the amendments made by regulation 2(8) had
not been made."

So you only have to make a contract with yourself (is that possible?)
before 1st Jan. and finish the work before 1st April and you'll be OK.

[1] http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/s...4/20041808.htm
--
Andy
Mike

"Ben Blaukopf" wrote in message
Lobster wrote:
I know Part P "comes into effect" on January 1 but can someone clarify

what
this actually means... eg if I start rewiring a house before January 1

(ie
very shortly, which is my intention) and it's not going to be complete

by
then, do I have to rush off to the council on 2 Jan and put in a

building
regs notice?

If not, how long I have I got to complete the project, and would I need

some
form of proof (if so what?) as to when I started the work?

Well, quite. No one prior to Jan 1st will have proof of when they
started the work. So it seems to me that unless it can be shown that
the work was done after Jan 1st, then there's no problem.

This implies an awful lot of common sense on the part of the authorities.
Best bet is to take a photo of the work started, then put it in an envelope,
seal it such that one would have to rip it to open, then post either to
yourself or your solicitor BUT don't open it when it arrives.

Andy Hall

Lobster wrote:
[...]

One should probably have a cyanide capsule fitted by the dentist just
in case the BCO comes round to check.

They have ways of making you talk :-)

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mike

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

This implies an awful lot of common sense on the part of the authorities.
Best bet is to take a photo of the work started, then put it in an

envelope,
seal it such that one would have to rip it to open, then post either to
yourself or your solicitor BUT don't open it when it arrives.

One should probably have a cyanide capsule

Yes

fitted by the dentist

No

just in case the BCO comes round to check.

He gets the capsule !!

Al Reynolds

"Andy Wade" wrote:
Lobster wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that. As far as I am aware, you can't make
a contract with yourself, or not one that would bear much
examination anyway. Just get one of your relatives to
contract you to do the work. They don't have to own the
house.

Al

Googolplex

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Or alternatively, post an empty unsealed envelope to yourself, then when
it arrives store it safely. Once you start your work next year, take a
photo and put it in the envelope and seal it.
IMM

Lobster wrote:

[...]

...and have a photo with a date stamp on it.

Mike

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Hmm yeah. Okay it has to go to your solicitor to be believed then.

IMM

Lobster wrote:

[...]

Or buy old coloured cable right now.

Andy Hall

This implies an awful lot of common sense on the part of the

authorities.
Best bet is to take a photo of the work started, then put it in an

envelope,
seal it such that one would have to rip it to open, then post either

yourself or your solicitor BUT don't open it when it arrives.

Or alternatively, post an empty unsealed envelope to yourself, then when
it arrives store it safely. Once you start your work next year, take a
photo and put it in the envelope and seal it.

Hmm yeah. Okay it has to go to your solicitor to be believed then.

Or buy old coloured cable right now.

What a performance !

By the time all that's done, it would be cheaper to do a building
notice and pay for an inspection, probably.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Al Reynolds

"Andy Hall" wrote:

By the time all that's done, it would be cheaper to do a building
notice and pay for an inspection, probably.

More importantly, doing it yourself with a building notice
and paying for the inspection will still work out cheaper
than paying some sparky who is "licensed" to do the work
purely on the basis of a fee, and not on an assessment of
their skills. Plus you have the added advantage of knowing
what's there and that you did it properly.

Al

Mike

"Al Reynolds" wrote in message
"Andy Hall" wrote:

By the time all that's done, it would be cheaper to do a building
notice and pay for an inspection, probably.

More importantly, doing it yourself with a building notice
and paying for the inspection will still work out cheaper
than paying some sparky who is "licensed" to do the work
purely on the basis of a fee, and not on an assessment of
their skills. Plus you have the added advantage of knowing
what's there and that you did it properly.

Problem for now will be most building control departments will have little
idea of good practice in electrical work and will want a 'professional
opinion'. They should pay for this if they want it but time and time again
(on other issues) they try to make out it's your responsibility.