Eric Cartman

Default Cat5e Faceplate Wiring.

Hi

Im renovating my house so putting in a patch panel in the loft, 4
Pair, single core Cat5e and wall sockets. I have gone through the
uk.d.i.y archives and checked the web and I understand there are two
main wiring schemes, 568A and 568B.

However the faceplates I have, (bought at CEF), are marked with a 568B
colour coded sticker. The layout on the sticker (
http://www.geocities.com/classic_bot/ ) does not seem to match the
568B wiring scheme, example he
http://kraycabling.com/technical_inf...ack_wiring.htm

Although it does state on the webpage it is for kray jacks I did
assume that pins would be in the same place on all Cat5(e) jacks.

As you can see in my pic the pairs are all grouped side by side. I
cant see any pin numbers on the unit either.

Should I just wire up and match the colour coding on the socket and
then copy this at the patch panel end?

Thanks all.
Christian McArdle

Should I just wire up and match the colour coding on the socket and
then copy this at the patch panel end?

Yes. Don't get too bogged down in how the manufacturer decided to route the
cable from the socket to the terminals.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On 23 Nov 2004 23:48:34 -0800, (Eric
Cartman) wrote:

[...]

You should follow the colour coding. PCB layouts and connctor
construction on different brands of socket vary.

If you are doing a fair number, it's a good idea to get hold of a CAT5
cable continuity tester so that you can make sure that all connections
are through and correctly made.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Michael Chare

Michael Chare

"Eric Cartman" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The bits I have appear to conform to T568B. You should use the same scheme at
both ends.

Whilst I would expect the marked colour codes to conform to the marked standard,
there is no harm in checking with a multimeter. I checked all my terminations
with a multimeter anyway.

Michael Chare

Andy Barron

Im renovating my house so putting in a patch panel in the loft, 4
Pair, single core Cat5e and wall sockets. I have gone through the
uk.d.i.y archives and checked the web and I understand there are two
main wiring schemes, 568A and 568B.

This web site may help.

http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm

Andy