Blair Malcolm

Default Septic Tank query

My house is 10 years old and the septic tank fitted was one intended for 4
houses which the builder had spare at the time and fitted it. I use a Septic
Tank conditioner called Septico every 4 months which results in no smells.
My wife thinks I should get it emptied but I think that the conditioner is
keeping the contents active and helps to break down the solids.
There are only two of us in the house.
Could I have ideas on the subject please.
Blair

--
Blair Malcolm

Peter Crosland

Although they vary emptying every two years would be a rule of thumb. Given
that yours is four times the normal size then it would be worth doing
particularly since it would provide an opportunity to inspect it. Provided
you don't put excessive bleach or other cleaners down the pan they should
not require any conditioner. Using biological washing powder does not help
matters.

Peter Crosland

Grunff

Blair Malcolm wrote:

My house is 10 years old and the septic tank fitted was one intended for 4
houses which the builder had spare at the time and fitted it. I use a Septic
Tank conditioner called Septico every 4 months which results in no smells.
My wife thinks I should get it emptied but I think that the conditioner is
keeping the contents active and helps to break down the solids.
There are only two of us in the house.
Could I have ideas on the subject please.

All septic tanks need emtying. It may take you 10 years to fill yours,
but you can't wait that long because by that time the solids at the
bottom will be really, really solid. Empty it every 2-4 years.

--
Grunff
Broadback

Steve Firth wrote:

Grunff wrote:

All septic tanks need emtying. It may take you 10 years to fill yours,
but you can't wait that long because by that time the solids at the
bottom will be really, really solid. Empty it every 2-4 years.

Just had ours emptied after eleven years. The man from the company asked
why we were emptying it, because there was little sludge and it was all
working fine. Before it was emptied, it never stank, after emptyign it
honked like nobodies business for several weeks. So I don't think I'll
empty it again, ever.

Septic tanks fill very rapidly, depending (obviously) on amount of waste
sent down the drains. We are talking weeks if a large family, not
months let alone years. However the point is that the "overflow"
providing it is treated properly (eg no bleaches, biological detergents)
then should be clear water, which then goes into a soak away, causing no
problems.
As a child I lived in a bungalow built in 1938 with a septic tank, which
was not emptied for the first time until the early 50s, it never gave
any problems.
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:55:40 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

after emptyign it
honked like nobodies business for several weeks

Did you refill it with a bug kit after emptying ? I've done that and
never had a problem.
--
Smert' spamionam

John

wrote:

after emptyign it
honked like nobodies business for several weeks

Did you refill it with a bug kit after emptying ? I've done that and
never had a problem.

All you need to do is chuck a bit of "high" road kill, such as a deat cat or
rabbit, in to reintroduce some bacteria.

Mike

wrote:

after emptyign it
honked like nobodies business for several weeks

Did you refill it with a bug kit after emptying ? I've done that and
never had a problem.

All you need to do is chuck a bit of "high" road kill, such as a deat cat

or
rabbit, in to reintroduce some bacteria.

Or just go and have a crap. Far more in that.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:43:11 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

Or just go and have a crap. Far more in that.

Wrong sort - that's the quick route to stinky septics.

--
Smert' spamionam
Mike

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 20:43:11 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

Or just go and have a crap. Far more in that.

Wrong sort - that's the quick route to stinky septics.

That sort will dominate anyway - that's what most of the matter in there
will be. Any micro-organism will seek to destroy all others it cannot
co-operate with. General view round here (100s of septics) is that all
these silly throw-ins don't make any difference. And no, ours doesn't smell
at all.