Rafal

Default LV downlighter touching the timber joist

Hi all,

After cutting downlighter holes in the ceiling I have found that two of them
will be touching the ceiling timber frame /bad planning, I know/.
The die cast downlighter is going to get extremely hot.
Is it safe?

Rafal

Lurch

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:22:17 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Rafal"
strung together this:

Hi all,

After cutting downlighter holes in the ceiling I have found that two of them
will be touching the ceiling timber frame /bad planning, I know/.
The die cast downlighter is going to get extremely hot.
Is it safe?

Whilst I'm not recommending that it will be OK as it is you may be
alright. To be on the safe side you want something to reflect the heat
from the joist, a piece of plasterboard or some of that heatproof
matting as used by plumbers will do the job.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.
Set Square

Rafal wrote:

Hi all,

After cutting downlighter holes in the ceiling I have found that two
of them will be touching the ceiling timber frame /bad planning, I
know/.
The die cast downlighter is going to get extremely hot.
Is it safe?

Rafal

No! Read the installation instructions for the downlighters. They will
specify a minimum clearance between the light and the nearest woodwork -
probably 50mm.

I know from experience that it needs a *lot* of planning - before cutting
the holes - to find suitable positions for these things - particularly when
(as I have) you have an L-shaped room with the joists at one end running at
right angles to those at the other end!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

N. Thornton

"Rafal" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

After cutting downlighter holes in the ceiling I have found that two of them
will be touching the ceiling timber frame /bad planning, I know/.
The die cast downlighter is going to get extremely hot.
Is it safe?

Questionable. Some sheet metal on the wood could be used to prevent
direct touch and to spread the heat out, but I couldnt assure you all
will be well. Heat may cause the wood to try to deform too. Doesnt
sound very good.

Regards, NT
Arthur

You could experiment with some ideas.
If you find a thin enough piece of asbestos by tacking it to a piece of
similair size piece of timber.
Then play a blow torch on it for 5/10/20 minutes this should simulate and
excede the
most extreme effects of your situation.

Arthur.

"Rafal" wrote in message
Hi all,

After cutting downlighter holes in the ceiling I have found that two of

them
will be touching the ceiling timber frame /bad planning, I know/.
The die cast downlighter is going to get extremely hot.
Is it safe?

Rafal

Lurch

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:28:58 +0000 (UTC), in uk.d-i-y "Arthur"
strung together this:

piece of asbestos

Hmmm???????
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Conservatory in Timber Mark B UK diy 7 October 31st 03 04:55 PM
Garage - timber for roof trusses Paul UK diy 1 August 18th 03 09:27 AM
more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Is tanalised timber green? Eric Cartman UK diy 14 July 18th 03 05:26 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM