DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Under patio heating (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/7766-under-patio-heating.html)

Mary Fisher April 17th 04 09:42 PM

Under patio heating

wrote in message
I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

I hate you all!

Mary, the Finns are also great tango dancers too. Drunken bums, but

great
tango dancers.

I haven't danced the tango for almost fifty years - and have no desire to
either. It's the scenery, the food and that sort of thing which appeals to
me about Scandinavia.

In fact the all Finland tango dancing champion was killed a few years
back by hitting an Elk which because of the heavy body on top of long
legs crash straight through the windscreen of cars which is why Volvos
have driving lights on all the time, its so the Elk can see them and get
out of the way.

Oh I know about elk and their danger to cars, in Norway at least. I bought
an elk skin from a Norwegian Viking about ten years ago. I sold it last year
for the same price plus a therapeutic massage ...

The massage had no effect ... but at least I don't have that shiny, long
haired elk skin which is no good for anything except hanging on a wall any
more.

It's no good for anything because the hair is so slippery (fine on an elk,
snow slides off) that you can't walk on it and you can sleep on it because
you slide up or down depending on which way you're facing.

Mary

Mary

--
David

Mary Fisher April 17th 04 09:43 PM

Under patio heating

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

I saw an elk in the centre of Stockholm a couple of years ago. It
had wandered in and got lost.

They are enormous animals with quite small spindly legs for their
size. Unfortunately, this does result in the body of several
hundred kilos being at a level just over the bonnet height.

As far as the lights are concerned, I am not sure that this was an elk
issue. In fact daytime lights are required in all the Nordic
countries - even Denmark which is relatively south.

And Iceland which has going on for 24 hour light in summer.

Mary

geoff April 17th 04 10:42 PM

Under patio heating

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

[...]

So, no carpet burns there then

--
geoff

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 11:06 AM

Under patio heating

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

[...]

I can't imagine what you mean ...

Mary

--
geoff

The Natural Philosopher April 18th 04 03:22 PM

Under patio heating

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Andy Hall April 18th 04 04:21 PM

Under patio heating

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:22:52 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Not my experience at all, but there you go....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 04:29 PM

Under patio heating

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Not my experience at all, but there you go....

Nor mine - only been to Iceland mind you. To date.

The people were delightful, the weather - er - exciting in its
unpredictability, the scenery splendid, the food fabulous ... but I've only
been in high summer when even at midnight it's hardly grey. The Norwegians
and Swedes I know are among my best friends. A bit weird sometimes but
certainly not boring.

Mary

G&M April 18th 04 06:35 PM

Under patio heating

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

Went to Luleu, Sweden inside the Arctic Circle for a week long conference
during mid-summer week courtesy of Ercisson and the one thing it wasn't was
grey. In fact some grey, or to be more precise black would have been
appreciated as by the Wednesday one really would like to get some sleep
other than by alcohol overuse. Unfortunately it actually gets brighter
around midnight as the angle of the sun seems to make the light skim across
the land. Never understood why the hotel only had thin pink curtains.
Would have though deep velvet curtains ideal for summer and winter.

But a wonderful country - looking forward to next visit.

Andy Hall April 18th 04 07:20 PM

Under patio heating

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:35:55 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

Went to Luleu, Sweden inside the Arctic Circle for a week long conference
during mid-summer week courtesy of Ercisson and the one thing it wasn't was
grey.

Midsummer week..... Sounds like a boonie to me ;-)

In fact some grey, or to be more precise black would have been
appreciated as by the Wednesday one really would like to get some sleep
other than by alcohol overuse. Unfortunately it actually gets brighter
around midnight as the angle of the sun seems to make the light skim across
the land. Never understood why the hotel only had thin pink curtains.
Would have though deep velvet curtains ideal for summer and winter.

But a wonderful country - looking forward to next visit.

Yes it is....

geoff April 18th 04 07:28 PM

Under patio heating

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding
most of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Must be a different Scandinavia from the one I've visited

And Norwegian discos ...

All the girls 14 yo or less, not a single male capable of standing up
without assistance
--
geoff

[email protected] April 18th 04 07:30 PM

Under patio heating

In article , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

Costs a fortune to get drunk though...

--
David

geoff April 18th 04 07:40 PM

Under patio heating

In message ,
writes
In article , Andy Hall
writes
[...]

Not if you know the right people ...

--
geoff

G&M April 18th 04 08:12 PM

Under patio heating

wrote in message
In article , Andy Hall
writes

Andy Hall April 18th 04 08:20 PM

Under patio heating

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 19:30:07 +0100,
wrote:

Costs a fortune to get drunk though...

Not if you know where to go and who to go with........

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 08:36 PM

Under patio heating

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:35:55 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Went to Luleu, Sweden inside the Arctic Circle for a week long conference
during mid-summer week courtesy of Ercisson and the one thing it wasn't

was
grey.

Midsummer week..... Sounds like a boonie to me ;-)

er - a boonie?

In fact some grey, or to be more precise black would have been
appreciated as by the Wednesday one really would like to get some sleep
other than by alcohol overuse. Unfortunately it actually gets brighter
around midnight as the angle of the sun seems to make the light skim

across
the land. Never understood why the hotel only had thin pink curtains.
Would have though deep velvet curtains ideal for summer and winter.

I don't need darkness to sleep, in UK our bedroom curtains are thin and
white, the nasty sodium lights outside mean that we could - if we were
intent on doing so - read through the night, with some difficulty I admit.
But if I'm tired I sleep - anywhere.

What amused me was looking out at midnight from a B&B and seeing someone
painting his fence.

But a wonderful country - looking forward to next visit.

Yes it is....

sigh

Mary

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 08:36 PM

Under patio heating

wrote in message

Iceland

But a wonderful country - looking forward to next visit.

Yes it is....

Costs a fortune to get drunk though...

There are other things in life ...

Mary

--
David

Andy Hall April 18th 04 09:52 PM

Under patio heating

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 20:36:14 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:35:55 +0100, "G&M" wrote:

Went to Luleu, Sweden inside the Arctic Circle for a week long conference
during mid-summer week courtesy of Ercisson and the one thing it wasn't

was
grey.

Midsummer week..... Sounds like a boonie to me ;-)

er - a boonie?

Boondoggle. Generally means busy-work but in the business context
an activity or conference that is really something else.

Also an abbreviation for Boondocks meaning a remote and rural area.

IMM April 18th 04 10:17 PM

Under patio heating

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

But with great social systems that are the envy of the world.

IMM April 18th 04 10:21 PM

Under patio heating

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding
most of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Must be a different Scandinavia from the one I've visited

And Norwegian discos ...

Maxie, what did you dance? Disco dancing? Morris dancing. Did your bells
on your pants go down well?

IMM April 18th 04 10:23 PM

Under patio heating

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

I hate you all!

Mary, the Finns are also great tango dancers too. Drunken bums, but

great
tango dancers.

I haven't danced the tango for almost fifty years - and have no desire to
either. It's the scenery, the food and that sort of thing which appeals to
me about Scandinavia.

Mary, what does not stand out about Scandinavia is the food.

geoff April 18th 04 10:32 PM

Under patio heating

In message , IMM
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding
most of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Must be a different Scandinavia from the one I've visited

And Norwegian discos ...

Maxie, what did you dance? Disco dancing? Morris dancing. Did your bells
on your pants go down well?

Well, I'm an ex-morris dancer, and bell pads go on the legs not on the
arse.

--
geoff

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 10:39 PM

Under patio heating

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
..

Midsummer week..... Sounds like a boonie to me ;-)

er - a boonie?

Boondoggle. Generally means busy-work but in the business context
an activity or conference that is really something else.

Also an abbreviation for Boondocks meaning a remote and rural area.

Clear as lava ...

Mary

G&M April 18th 04 10:42 PM

Under patio heating

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
Midsummer week..... Sounds like a boonie to me ;-)

er - a boonie?

Boondoggle. Generally means busy-work but in the business context
an activity or conference that is really something else.

Certainly was that.

Though the midges had to be seen to be believed. I'm normally immune to
them (even in Scottish Islands) but these had me looking like the Alps.

G&M April 18th 04 10:43 PM

Under patio heating

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

I haven't danced the tango for almost fifty years - and have no desire

either. It's the scenery, the food and that sort of thing which appeals

me about Scandinavia.

Mary, what does not stand out about Scandinavia is the food.

Oh it does. Venison this, herring that. Just wonderful.

And it was the Swedes who invented "Death by Chocolate"

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 10:47 PM

Under patio heating

"geoff" wrote in message

Well, I'm an ex-morris dancer,

geoff

Why an ex?

Mary

Andy Hall April 18th 04 10:54 PM

Under patio heating

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:23:05 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

wrote in message
I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

I hate you all!

Mary, the Finns are also great tango dancers too. Drunken bums, but

great
tango dancers.

I haven't danced the tango for almost fifty years - and have no desire to
either. It's the scenery, the food and that sort of thing which appeals to
me about Scandinavia.

Mary, what does not stand out about Scandinavia is the food.

Have you ever actually been there?

geoff April 18th 04 10:59 PM

Under patio heating

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Well, I'm an ex-morris dancer,

geoff

Why an ex?

Because before I was out every night folk clubs, morris practice,
ceilidh band practice or playing every weekend and then left the UK for
9 years (during which time I started a Morris side in Indonesia)

When I returned, I had lost the commitment as I has a business to build
up. Now I've become a boring old fart who spends too much time in
uk.d-i-y, UKRM etc

basically, I hit saturation point and have trouble getting back into it

--
geoff

Mary Fisher April 18th 04 11:14 PM

Under patio heating

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Well, I'm an ex-morris dancer,

geoff

Why an ex?

Because before I was out every night folk clubs, morris practice,
ceilidh band practice or playing every weekend and then left the UK for
9 years (during which time I started a Morris side in Indonesia)

When I returned, I had lost the commitment as I has a business to build
up. Now I've become a boring old fart who spends too much time in
uk.d-i-y, UKRM etc

basically, I hit saturation point and have trouble getting back into it

Pity. I like all that bladder slapping.

Mary

--
geoff

IMM April 18th 04 11:39 PM

Under patio heating

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , IMM
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and

light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding
most of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Must be a different Scandinavia from the one I've visited

And Norwegian discos ...

Maxie, what did you dance? Disco dancing? Morris dancing. Did your

bells
on your pants go down well?

Well, I'm an ex-morris dancer,

Did you fall off the bonnet of the Morris?

IMM April 18th 04 11:42 PM

Under patio heating

wrote in message
I usually do. (Remembering of course that Finland is not in
Scandinavia).......

I hate you all!

Mary, the Finns are also great tango dancers too. Drunken bums, but
great
tango dancers.

I haven't danced the tango for almost fifty years - and have no desire

either. It's the scenery, the food and that sort of thing which appeals

me about Scandinavia.

Mary, what does not stand out about Scandinavia is the food.

Have you ever actually been there?

Denmark (Copenhagen), Norway (Oslo) and Sweden (Stockholm, seeing Ericsson).
Not that impressed.

Andy Hall April 19th 04 12:54 AM

Under patio heating

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:42:33 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Mary, what does not stand out about Scandinavia is the food.

Have you ever actually been there?

Denmark (Copenhagen), Norway (Oslo) and Sweden (Stockholm, seeing Ericsson).
Not that impressed.

I don't suppose they were.

The Natural Philosopher April 19th 04 12:56 PM

Under patio heating

Mary Fisher wrote:

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding most
of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Not my experience at all, but there you go....

Nor mine - only been to Iceland mind you. To date.

Ah iceland. I suspect iceland is completely different. I am thinking
denamark and sweden mostly.

The people were delightful, the weather - er - exciting in its
unpredictability, the scenery splendid, the food fabulous ... but I've only
been in high summer when even at midnight it's hardly grey. The Norwegians
and Swedes I know are among my best friends. A bit weird sometimes but
certainly not boring.

Again norwegians are a different animal. Seafarers,. Good peoples. Its
teh stodgy sweden/denmark lot plus parts of finland latvia and estonia etc.

The Natural Philosopher April 19th 04 12:57 PM

Under patio heating

G&M wrote:

[...]

Its only wonderful for about one week of the year.

You happened to be there that week.

The Natural Philosopher April 19th 04 12:58 PM

Under patio heating

Andy Hall wrote:

In the winter time when the sun is relatively low in the sky and light
levels low, there is a tendency for the trees and road to appear to
merge in a uniform greeny grey.

EVERYTHING in scandinavia tends to a uniform greeny grey, icluiding
most of the so called food, and especially the people.

I've never met a duller, more politically correct, mob, by and large.

Must be a different Scandinavia from the one I've visited

And Norwegian discos ...

All the girls 14 yo or less, not a single male capable of standing up
without assistance

A friend of mine ramarked that Finland was full of gorgeous girls until
they got to 25, at which point they mutated into spheres.

The Natural Philosopher April 19th 04 12:59 PM

Under patio heating

G&M wrote:

"IMM" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
.net...

I haven't danced the tango for almost fifty years - and have no desire

either. It's the scenery, the food and that sort of thing which appeals

me about Scandinavia.

Mary, what does not stand out about Scandinavia is the food.

Oh it does. Venison this, herring that. Just wonderful.

venison is fine, but 48 ways of preparing herring that ends up tasting
jusy like herring is boring.

And it was the Swedes who invented "Death by Chocolate"

G&M April 19th 04 07:42 PM

Under patio heating

"IMM" wrote in message

Have you ever actually been there?

... and Sweden (Stockholm, seeing Ericsson).
Not that impressed.

If you mean the Ericsson factory to the north of town (city ?) I tend to
agree. Looks like Glasgow on a rainy day.

But in the centre Stockholm is superb.

G&M April 19th 04 07:44 PM

Under patio heating

G&M wrote:

[...]

No. I love it every time I'm there.

But don't think I'd want to move, couldn't stand the heating or alcohol
bills !

IMM April 19th 04 07:45 PM

Under patio heating

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message

Have you ever actually been there?

... and Sweden (Stockholm, seeing Ericsson).
Not that impressed.

If you mean the Ericsson factory to the north of town (city ?) I tend to
agree. Looks like Glasgow on a rainy day.

But in the centre Stockholm is superb.

OK, 100 times better than Manchester, which doesn't say much, and nothing to
write home about.

Now Paris...

G&M April 19th 04 08:30 PM

Under patio heating

"IMM" wrote in message
... and Sweden (Stockholm, seeing Ericsson).
Not that impressed.

If you mean the Ericsson factory to the north of town (city ?) I tend to
agree. Looks like Glasgow on a rainy day.

But in the centre Stockholm is superb.

OK, 100 times better than Manchester, which doesn't say much, and nothing

write home about.

Now Paris...

Again
centre : superb
outskirts : well ............

IMM April 19th 04 08:57 PM

Under patio heating

"G&M" wrote in message

"IMM" wrote in message
... and Sweden (Stockholm, seeing Ericsson).
Not that impressed.

If you mean the Ericsson factory to the north of town (city ?) I tend

agree. Looks like Glasgow on a rainy day.

But in the centre Stockholm is superb.

OK, 100 times better than Manchester, which doesn't say much, and

nothing
write home about.

Now Paris...

Again
centre : superb
outskirts : well ............

Paris has a small footprint and the centre is quite large. "Overall",
probably the finest city in the world. The only minus point is that there
are few open spaces in or near the centre.