TonyK

Default Removing silicon (not sealant!)

I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray on the belt of a
tumble drier so the damn thing slips on the drum and it doesn't spin with
anything more than a damp rag in it.

Is there a normal household cleaner I can spray on it to help remove the
silicon without the new belt degrading? Copiuos quantities of paper towel
has removed the excess but its still slipping.

TIA

Steve Jones

TonyK wrote:
I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray on the belt of a
tumble drier so the damn thing slips on the drum and it doesn't spin with
anything more than a damp rag in it.

Is there a normal household cleaner I can spray on it to help remove the
silicon without the new belt degrading? Copiuos quantities of paper towel
has removed the excess but its still slipping.

TIA

I would try flour or talcolm powder, you may be surprised.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"TonyK" writes:
I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray on the belt of a
tumble drier so the damn thing slips on the drum and it doesn't spin with
anything more than a damp rag in it.

Is there a normal household cleaner I can spray on it to help remove the
silicon without the new belt degrading? Copiuos quantities of paper towel
has removed the excess but its still slipping.

I had a problem after a garage waxed my windscreen (which means
the wipers can't disperse the water). No amount of washing with
white spirit seemed to get it off. In the end, I called up Triplex
who made it. It is quite difficult to remove from glass as it
actually forms a weak chemical bond, but it is possible. Was told
to wash vigourously with white spirit and to dry by blotting the
white spirit off without rubbing. This would require a few rounds
and to expect to use up a whole kitchen roll or I wasn't doing it
right.

However, to the part of this which is appropriate to you, it's
impossible to get it out of rubber, so I must remove the wiper
blades from contact with the glass before starting, and fit new
blades which must not contact the glass until all the silicone is
removed. The rubber would store enough silicone to recoat the
glass many times over.

So, don't be surprised if you need a new belt, and don't forget
to thoroughly clean the pullies too.

--
Andrew Gabriel
fred

In article ,
Steve Jones writes
TonyK wrote:
I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray on the belt of a
tumble drier so the damn thing slips on the drum and it doesn't spin with
anything more than a damp rag in it.

Is there a normal household cleaner I can spray on it to help remove the
silicon without the new belt degrading? Copiuos quantities of paper towel
has removed the excess but its still slipping.

TIA

I would try flour or talcolm powder, you may be surprised.

Yup, plus alcohol to get any off the drum then as a final assist give it a
spray of 'belt dressing' to restore the gripiness of the belt. Avail from a
motor factor. Used to be known as 'belt grip' and used as a cure to slight
fan belt slips.
--
fred

TonyK

"Steve Jones" wrote in message
TonyK wrote:
I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray on the belt of a
tumble drier so the damn thing slips on the drum and it doesn't spin

with
anything more than a damp rag in it.

Is there a normal household cleaner I can spray on it to help remove the
silicon without the new belt degrading? Copiuos quantities of paper

towel
has removed the excess but its still slipping.

TIA

I would try flour or talcolm powder, you may be surprised.

TY worked a treat. Missus is happy again.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:23:55 -0000, "TonyK"
wrote:

I have inadvertantly got silicon based lubricant spray

Try the stuff that removes silicone sealant. I've no idea what's in
it, but that and a lot of paper towels cleaned up a silicone lubricant
contamination problem that I had.