Mike Cowley

Default Deep throat F clamps

looking for F clamp with 240mm throat (min) and 200mm or greater depth.

I've tried suppliers in the excellent FAQ but with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Background
I'm building a bass drum (56cm dia, 60cm depth) from plywood.
To join the cut edges of the cylinder of ply I need to secure a 60cm
backing strip with six equally apaced F clamps. I already have four
120mm deep clamps but need deeper ones to hold nearer the centre.
Alternatives to this method are also welcome.
Cicero

"Mike Cowley" wrote in message
. ..
looking for F clamp with 240mm throat (min) and 200mm or greater depth.

I've tried suppliers in the excellent FAQ but with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Background
I'm building a bass drum (56cm dia, 60cm depth) from plywood.
To join the cut edges of the cylinder of ply I need to secure a 60cm
backing strip with six equally apaced F clamps. I already have four
120mm deep clamps but need deeper ones to hold nearer the centre.
Alternatives to this method are also welcome.

=============
I can't quite picture what you're doing but band clamps might help. They're
long pieces of fabric which wrap around the workpiece and can be tensioned.
They will hold irregular shapes so might do your job. A bit like the
old-fashioned 'spanish windlass' principle. They're available from places
like 'Focus' etc.

Cic.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:05:02 +0000, (Mike
Cowley) wrote:

looking for F clamp with 240mm throat (min) and 200mm or greater depth.

I've tried suppliers in the excellent FAQ but with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Background
I'm building a bass drum (56cm dia, 60cm depth) from plywood.
To join the cut edges of the cylinder of ply I need to secure a 60cm
backing strip with six equally apaced F clamps. I already have four
120mm deep clamps but need deeper ones to hold nearer the centre.
Alternatives to this method are also welcome.

Have a look at Bessey clamps -
www.bessey.de

Their TGNT series come in a size range covering what you are asking
for.

I don't have any of this particular series, but do have a variety of
other Bessey clamps and they are very good, so I would be surprised if
there was any problem with these.

I saw some at the Axminster tool show last week (I think). Axminster
themselves only seem to have the 400x300 model (at £64) but would
probably order the smaller one for you. In Germany, the smaller
300x200 is about €50, so probably about £35 here.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
mrcheerful

"Mike Cowley" wrote in message
. ..
looking for F clamp with 240mm throat (min) and 200mm or greater depth.

I've tried suppliers in the excellent FAQ but with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Background
I'm building a bass drum (56cm dia, 60cm depth) from plywood.
To join the cut edges of the cylinder of ply I need to secure a 60cm
backing strip with six equally apaced F clamps. I already have four
120mm deep clamps but need deeper ones to hold nearer the centre.
Alternatives to this method are also welcome.

can you use wood strips to press the joins together with the clamps you have
at the edges?

mrcheerful

Rob Morley

In article , "Mike
Cowley" says...
looking for F clamp with 240mm throat (min) and 200mm or greater depth.

I've tried suppliers in the excellent FAQ but with no luck.

Thanks

Mike

Background
I'm building a bass drum (56cm dia, 60cm depth) from plywood.
To join the cut edges of the cylinder of ply I need to secure a 60cm
backing strip with six equally apaced F clamps. I already have four
120mm deep clamps but need deeper ones to hold nearer the centre.
Alternatives to this method are also welcome.

How about this?

Make a frame from two long bits and two short bits of 4x2 and a few
coach bolts (or use 12mm ply and screws on both sides for the end
pieces). Cut a load of small wedges and drive them between the beams to
apply pressure. You could probably apply the glue then pin everything
to the bottom beam to hold it in place while you drive the wedges. Use
paper or plastic sheet to stop the shell from sticking to the jig.

Here ends todays "good idea" :-)

| |
| 0 4x2 0 |
|_________________________________________________ _________|
| 4x2 | _|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|__|X|_ | 4x2 |
+-----+--| \ | / |--+-----+
| | wedges | 4x2 |
| 0 | | 0 |
+--------| |--------+
| |
| |

+-------------+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| 4x2 |
| |
| |
| |
| |
+----+-------------+-----+
| _ -|
| wedge _ - |
| _ - |
| _ - wedge |
-------------+----------------
_____________|_______________ drum shell
| | joining strip
+---+-------------+--+
| |
| |
| |
| |
| 4x2 |
| |
| |
| |
| |
Mike Cowley

Many thanks for your contributions.
I think I'll go with a combination of the clamps I have and the ideas
from mrcheerful and Rob (excellent artwork), using wedges in the centre
area.

So refreshing to dive into a newsgroup and get prompt sensible answers
that do actually answer the question with no abuse.

Thanks and best wishes to all of you.

Mike