VisionSet

Default RCD question

On behalf of a mate:

I'm part way through re-wiring the garage.

How do I fit a central RCD circuit breaker type thing so that I don't have
to plug my ciruit breaker into every drill, welder, etc?

I would like to be able to replace one fuse(old fashioned fuse wire type)
in my consumer unit with an RCD type MCB - cant find anyone who does a plug
in type.

If you like I'll copy your question to usenets uk.d-i-y

- OK. - I guess the answer will be fit a new consumer unit to the house
that incorperates said item.
(which would be ideal but is hard in that it creates far more work than I'd
like it to)

--
Mike W

VisionSet wrote:
On behalf of a mate:

I'm part way through re-wiring the garage.

How do I fit a central RCD circuit breaker type thing so that I don't have
to plug my ciruit breaker into every drill, welder, etc?

I would like to be able to replace one fuse(old fashioned fuse wire type)
in my consumer unit with an RCD type MCB - cant find anyone who does a plug
in type.

Can't do exactly what you want: an RCD needs to be in line with both the
live and neutral lines, so it can do its "what goes out must come back"
(im)balance detection thing. But easy to do what you generally want:
put a suitable standalone RCD at a suitable location. "Suitable standalone"
RCD would be like one of these:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ex/Wylex_Rcds/

along with its own Enclosure. "Suitable location" - electrically, in line
with the supply to the garage. Physically, either next to the consumer
unit in the house, or (better) where the garage supply enters. To avoid
the lights all going out when the RCD trips, many of us prefer to put a
small subsidiary CU into the garage, which has an RCD or an RCBO (an
all-in-one circuit-breaker and RCD) for sockets only, leaving the lights
on in the event of a trip on the power circuits.

HTH - Stefek
Pete C

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 12:54:17 GMT, "VisionSet"
wrote:

On behalf of a mate:

I'm part way through re-wiring the garage.

How do I fit a central RCD circuit breaker type thing so that I don't have
to plug my ciruit breaker into every drill, welder, etc?

Hi,

Look for a 'garage consumer unit'.

cheers,
Pete.