Jimboy

Default Is it worth getting a 50 quid compound mitre saw

I'm going to replace my bannisters so am going to have to make quite a
lot of 45 degree cuts and would like to get a powered mitre saw.
Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and can't really afford to spend
much. Is it worth getting the 50 quid Ferm one from Screwfix (or any
similarly priced one) or should I save the money until I can get
something decent and do it all manually?

Cheers

Bert Coules

I'd have thought that unless you're an absolute whizz with a handsaw, even a
cheap power saw will give you a better result, especially over a large
number of repetitive cuts. If you do a few test cuts first to check out
the Ferm, you'll be able to adjust for any inaccuracies in the angle or
whatever.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

news.aaisp.net.uk

Hi Jimboy,

I would say, buy it!
I got one from Wickes a few years ago and use it all the time.
If it broke I would certainly replace it.
YMMV

Stephen

om...

Jimboy wrote:
I'm going to replace my bannisters so am going to have to make quite a
lot of 45 degree cuts and would like to get a powered mitre saw.
Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and can't really afford to spend
much. Is it worth getting the 50 quid Ferm one from Screwfix (or any
similarly priced one) or should I save the money until I can get
something decent and do it all manually?

I got the even cheaper one that Screwfix had for £29.99 (Spanish sort
of name that I can't remember). It served me well until a couple of
weekends ago when I tried to cut a bit of 4" x 2" at an angle it
couldn't quite cope with. The guard stuck in the wood, I pushed
harder to get it to cut, the guard got itself out of the way and the
saw dug suddenly into the wood and stalled. That in itself probably
wouldn't have been disastrous except that the shock load appears to
have broken a tooth in the gearing so that, although it still cuts, it
makes a horrendous noise.

For £29.99 it's given me good service and would be still if I hadn't
misused it.

I now have an SIP sliding whatsit saw which can cut up to 12" x 2" or
thereabouts.

--
Chris Green
Jimboy

Thanks for all the advice. As I'm most definitely not a whizz with a
handsaw I've got the Argos one, should save me a load of time.

Thanks again

Bert Coules

Andy Hall wrote:

If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper job...

That smacks a little of snobbery. With care and patience and an awareness
of the tool's limitations it's perfectly possible to do a "proper job", even
one involving repeated cuts, with an inexpensive mitre saw.

Bert
http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:50:15 -0000, "Bert Coules"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper job...

That smacks a little of snobbery.

No it isn't - just practical experience of using a cheap mitre saw and
then a decent one.

With care and patience and an awareness
of the tool's limitations it's perfectly possible to do a "proper job", even
one involving repeated cuts, with an inexpensive mitre saw.

The limitations are repeatability of angle and cutting position. They
are simply poor on this class of saw. If you are prepared to accept
the position of a cut being a couple of mm out and a degree or two out
as being a good job then fine, a saw in this class may be good enough.

Personally I think that that's a poor job but make no apology for
wanting to achieve good results.

If you want to see the difference, go and try out a Makita LS1013 or
DeWalt DW708 and compare with one of these £50 jobs.

I use a mitre saw a great deal so invested in a Makita LS1013. It
cuts spot on every time. However, at a cost approaching £500, it
would not be a sensible purchase for a one time staircase job.

This does not mean that one should not use this quality of saw and
achieve a good job, so in this case, renting a decent saw makes a lot
of sense.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:07:20 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Andy Hall am typed:

I'm going to replace my bannisters so am going to have to make quite
a lot of 45 degree cuts and would like to get a powered mitre saw.
Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and can't really afford to
spend much. Is it worth getting the 50 quid Ferm one from Screwfix
(or any similarly priced one) or should I save the money until I can
get something decent and do it all manually?

Cheers

It depends on how good a job you want to do.

A saw in this price bracket will not give very repeatable cuts.

If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper job,
then you would be better off by far by renting a decent mitre saw for
a day.

Oh my god he's off again.......

Have you actually tried cutting a whole staircase set of spindles,
rails and newel posts accurately with a £25-50 saw and then measured
the angles and lengths.?

This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.
If the lengths of the spindles are wrong by a mm or two or the angles
by a degree or two, the staircase, when finished, will look like
absolute crap.

Buying a decent mitre saw, which will probably be needed anyway to get
enough capacity to cut the newel posts and possibly the rails, may
well not make sense. Renting one in this case rather than making a
pig's ear makes eminent sense.

Alternatively B&Q do a cheepie for £26, or I think with a laser sight guide
£29.
http://tinyurl.com/5a9dy

If you rely on a laser sight guide on this type of saw, then it will
make an already innaccurate cut even worse. They are a gimmick on
this level of product.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
IMM

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:

If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper job...

That smacks a little of snobbery.

You figured this one out straight away.

Mark

Andy Hall am typed

I'm going to replace my bannisters so am going to have to make
quite a lot of 45 degree cuts and would like to get a powered
mitre saw. Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and can't really
afford to spend much. Is it worth getting the 50 quid Ferm one
from Screwfix (or any similarly priced one) or should I save the
money until I can get something decent and do it all manually?

Cheers

It depends on how good a job you want to do.

A saw in this price bracket will not give very repeatable cuts.

If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper
job, then you would be better off by far by renting a decent mitre
saw for a day.

Oh my god he's off again.......

Have you actually tried cutting a whole staircase set of spindles,
rails and newel posts accurately with a £25-50 saw and then measured
the angles and lengths.?

This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.

God almighty how do you think they were made in Victorian times, with a
handsaw and mitre block.
My father would never let an apprentice near a powered saw until they had
proved they could cut an angle by hand.

*ANY* tool is only as good as the person using it, if you need to spend £500
on a powered saw to achieve accurately fare enough.
I can't boost that I possess one of these, but can boost that I can still
cut the angle on a 7 ins skirtingboard to fit around a corner with a
HANDSAW.
We will never see eye to eye on this tool quality equals finished quality
issue, I do this for a living day in day out , what do you do ?

--
Mark

Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 00:35:20 GMT, "Mark" wrote:

Andy Hall am typed

..

Have you actually tried cutting a whole staircase set of spindles,
rails and newel posts accurately with a £25-50 saw and then measured
the angles and lengths.?

This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.

God almighty how do you think they were made in Victorian times, with a
handsaw and mitre block.

That would be infinitely preferable to using one of the cheap shed
saws but would take a little longer.

My father would never let an apprentice near a powered saw until they had
proved they could cut an angle by hand.

*ANY* tool is only as good as the person using it, if you need to spend £500
on a powered saw to achieve accurately fare enough.

That is true to an extent, but a good mitre saw will give repeatably
better results than a cheap shed one.

The same is true of a number of other tools such as jig saws.

You might want to go and try out some good quality mitre and jig saws
- the results are spectacularly better.

I can't boost that I possess one of these, but can boost that I can still
cut the angle on a 7 ins skirtingboard to fit around a corner with a
HANDSAW.

That's fine. Unfortunately not everybody is able to do that either
through lack of skill or lack of practice.

The question was about how to achieve a good result for a one off job.
For most people, using a handsaw, unless used in a good mitre box will
not achieve a good result, so your point about your being able to cut
180mm skirting with a handsaw is not that relevant.

A low end powered mitre saw won't either because the mechanisms have
too much slop to give repeatable results.

A good quality powered mitre saw will give repeatable and good results
but clearly does not make sense to buy for a day's work unlikely to be
repeated. Therefore renting one makes much better sense than buying
something at about the same price that won't.

We will never see eye to eye on this tool quality equals finished quality
issue,

It can have a great deal to do with it and certainly does in this
case.

I do this for a living day in day out , what do you do ?

A variety of things and I also do work with wood. When I do, I
prefer to do so with good quality tools which I find certainly do help
to achieve good results.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper job...

That smacks a little of snobbery. With care and patience and an
awareness of the tool's limitations it's perfectly possible to do a
"proper job", even one involving repeated cuts, with an inexpensive
mitre saw.

The first one of these I bought from B&Q was pretty bad - it wouldn't do
repeatable accurate cuts. Too much play somewhere. Ok for rough work.

I bought a bigger one, and that is ok giving repeatable cuts - although
you have to check it each time with a protractor if wanting a 90 degree
etc - the scale isn't accurate enough.

A decent make will have indents for the common angles which will be
accurate. You really do get what you pay for.

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
Alternatively B&Q do a cheepie for £26, or I think with a laser sight
guide £29.

A laser guide won't help sloppy bearings. Won't help anything, actually.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper
job...

That smacks a little of snobbery.

You figured this one out straight away.

But he's not talking about hacksaws.

--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mark wrote:
God almighty how do you think they were made in Victorian times, with a
handsaw and mitre block.

In a word, skill.

My father would never let an apprentice near a powered saw until they had
proved they could cut an angle by hand.

That's pros. We're amateurs. Some will develop excellent skills, some
won't. And a good power tool *might* help the unskilled. A poor power tool
*might* be able to be compensated for with skill. But a poor power tool
and poor skills?

*ANY* tool is only as good as the person using it, if you need to spend
£500 on a powered saw to achieve accurately fare enough. I can't boost
that I possess one of these, but can boost that I can still cut the
angle on a 7 ins skirtingboard to fit around a corner with a HANDSAW. We
will never see eye to eye on this tool quality equals finished quality
issue, I do this for a living day in day out , what do you do ?

My skills are so so. But some time ago, I made a record player plinth out
of veneered chipboard, and got the use of a pro workshop. Where there was
a De Walt 3 phase radial arm saw. Lock it to 45 degrees either way and you
got a *perfect* mitre. Lock it to 90, and a perfect right angle. All
without much skill. And no chipping of the veneer.

My 150 quid PPPro just isn't in the same class.

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Tony Eva

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
A laser guide won't help sloppy bearings. Won't help anything, actually.

I'll second that. My cheapo circular saw from Argos has a laser guide:
switch it on and you get a neat little red line on the wood in front of
the saw. Too bad it's about 1mm away from the actual saw cut, and about
3 degrees off the blade line...

Needless to say, I don't use it much (the laser, that is. The saw is
fine for quick and dirty jobs).

--
Tony
Jim Alexander

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.
If the lengths of the spindles are wrong by a mm or two or the angles
by a degree or two, the staircase, when finished, will look like
absolute crap.

That's nonsense. Its the length of the fillet that governs that and they
can easily all be cut to the same length. Agree that the spindle length
needs to accurate enough to fit against the fillet, but the angle? Nah.

FWIW I made up a mitre block from scrap timber.

Jim A

IMM

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
IMM wrote:
If you don't want to buy a decent saw, but do want to do a proper
job...

That smacks a little of snobbery.

You figured this one out straight away.

But he's not talking about hacksaws.

Go away!......you don't say......wow!

Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:41:00 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.
If the lengths of the spindles are wrong by a mm or two or the angles
by a degree or two, the staircase, when finished, will look like
absolute crap.

That's nonsense.

No it isn't.

Its the length of the fillet that governs that and they
can easily all be cut to the same length.

Provided that the saw is up to it.

Agree that the spindle length
needs to accurate enough to fit against the fillet, but the angle? Nah.

Of course the angle is important. If it's incorrect, the spindles
don't make the correct angles with the rails and the job will look
like a bodge.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Jim Alexander

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:41:00 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.
If the lengths of the spindles are wrong by a mm or two or the angles
by a degree or two, the staircase, when finished, will look like
absolute crap.

That's nonsense.

No it isn't.

Pantomime season approaching - Oh yes it is.

Its the length of the fillet that governs that and they
can easily all be cut to the same length.

Provided that the saw is up to it.

More nonsense, its easy to ensure multiple fillet pieces are all cut to the
same length. A hand saw will suffice.

Agree that the spindle length
needs to accurate enough to fit against the fillet, but the angle? Nah.

Of course the angle is important. If it's incorrect, the spindles
don't make the correct angles with the rails and the job will look
like a bodge.

Never done one myself nonsense. The spindles only requre to butt up against
the fillet pieces. Verify with a spirit level that the spindle is vertical.

Jim A

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
IMM wrote:
That smacks a little of snobbery.

You figured this one out straight away.

But he's not talking about hacksaws.

Go away!......you don't say......wow!

Which compound mitre saw do you possess? Given your usual lack of
knowledge of all things practical it might be of interest to know?

--
*A backward poet writes inverse.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Agree that the spindle length
needs to accurate enough to fit against the fillet, but the angle? Nah.

Of course the angle is important. If it's incorrect, the spindles
don't make the correct angles with the rails and the job will look
like a bodge.

On some bannister types, the handrail is grooved to the width of the
spindles. That groove is then filled by fillets which only need to be cut
square and to length. But if the spindles aren't accurately cut in the
first place, it will never be as rigid as it could be.

--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:06:54 -0000, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
This is an application where accuracy is critical to a good outcome.
If the lengths of the spindles are wrong by a mm or two or the angles
by a degree or two, the staircase, when finished, will look like
absolute crap.

That's nonsense.

No it isn't.

Pantomime season approaching - Oh yes it is.

It's behind you........

Its the length of the fillet that governs that and they
can easily all be cut to the same length.

Provided that the saw is up to it.

More nonsense, its easy to ensure multiple fillet pieces are all cut to the
same length. A hand saw will suffice.

A hand saw and simple jig would certainly suffice, but that wasn't the
question. That was about the use of a cheap power saw. These
don't have the mechanical quality to produce cuts of repeatable
accuracy and angle.

Agree that the spindle length
needs to accurate enough to fit against the fillet, but the angle? Nah.

Of course the angle is important. If it's incorrect, the spindles
don't make the correct angles with the rails and the job will look
like a bodge.

Never done one myself nonsense. The spindles only requre to butt up against
the fillet pieces. Verify with a spirit level that the spindle is vertical.

The angles and lengths must be accurate to achieve all of that.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Capitol

Andy Hall wrote:

If you want to see the difference, go and try out a Makita LS1013 or
DeWalt DW708 and compare with one of these £50 jobs.

My experience of this does not agree with yours, I've used both a
cheapo Screwfix and the expensive De Walt, and for repeatability of cut
and accuracy, there was nothing to choose between them. IME the blade
type and trueness, plays a far greater part than the price of the saw.
Either can be made to cut at say 85.5 deg angles and as the setting and
operation is a manual operation, care is called for. Modern alloy based
tools are always IME more flexible than old cast iron ones, and there is
very little to choose between makes IMO, other than power levels.

Regards
Capitol
Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:49:41 +0000, Capitol
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

If you want to see the difference, go and try out a Makita LS1013 or
DeWalt DW708 and compare with one of these £50 jobs.

My experience of this does not agree with yours, I've used both a
cheapo Screwfix and the expensive De Walt, and for repeatability of cut
and accuracy, there was nothing to choose between them. IME the blade
type and trueness, plays a far greater part than the price of the saw.

You must have had a dud blade or perhaps there was a setting problem.

I looked at both the DeWalt 708 and the Makita LS1013. I bought
the Makita, because the slide action was smoother than the DW and it
is more sturdy, although it has a 250 rather than 300mm blade

Cuts are spot on repeatable and there is also an adjustable depth stop

Either can be made to cut at say 85.5 deg angles and as the setting and
operation is a manual operation, care is called for.

That's always true.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

dave

(Andrew) wrote in message om...
"Mark" wrote in message ...
Andy Hall
am typed:

I'm going to replace my bannisters so am going to have to make quite
a lot of 45 degree cuts and would like to get a powered mitre saw.
Unfortunately I'm broke at the moment and can't really afford to
spend much. Is it worth getting the 50 quid Ferm one from Screwfix
(or any similarly priced one) or should I save the money until I can
get something decent and do it all manually?

Cheers

Alternatively B&Q do a cheepie for £26, or I think with a laser sight guide
£29.
http://tinyurl.com/5a9dy

On no account trust the lasers on these things. I have one from Argos
which cuts perfect, repeatable right angles (all I really wanted it
for) but the laser line is about 5 degrees out.

Andrew

I took a peek at the cheap ones mentioned from argos and b and q . The
blade doesn't look like it would produce a fine cut and if you are
cutting soft wood it might produce some tear out. It also doesn't look
like it has any 'positive stops'.If it just has a screw to locate the
angle then personally I wouldn't like that. I am no expert but a good
mitre box ( not a plastic b and q one, may be the chippy on this board
may make one up for you :-) and decent quality handsaw might be good
enough and probably the best value, again if you are pants at
carpentry then this might not be suited to you. For some power tools
spending a few extra quid would be worthwhile ,in the longer run, if
you are going to extend the range of woodwork you do.
Not an expert, just my opinion.

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

If you want to see the difference, go and try out a Makita LS1013 or
DeWalt DW708 and compare with one of these £50 jobs.

My experience of this does not agree with yours, I've used both a
cheapo Screwfix and the expensive De Walt, and for repeatability of cut
and accuracy, there was nothing to choose between them. IME the blade
type and trueness, plays a far greater part than the price of the saw.

You must have had a dud blade or perhaps there was a setting problem.

He said they *both* worked well so your response doesn't make sense!

--
Chris Green
IMM

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

If you want to see the difference, go and try out a Makita LS1013 or
DeWalt DW708 and compare with one of these £50 jobs.

My experience of this does not agree with yours, I've used both

cheapo Screwfix and the expensive De Walt, and for repeatability of cut
and accuracy, there was nothing to choose between them. IME the blade
type and trueness, plays a far greater part than the price of the saw.

Good point. Put top quality blade in a cheapo and it must be improved.

You must have had a dud blade or perhaps there was a setting problem.

He said they *both* worked well so your response doesn't make sense!

Exactly.

Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:33:34 -0000, "IMM" wrote:

wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

If you want to see the difference, go and try out a Makita LS1013 or
DeWalt DW708 and compare with one of these £50 jobs.

My experience of this does not agree with yours, I've used both

cheapo Screwfix and the expensive De Walt, and for repeatability of cut
and accuracy, there was nothing to choose between them. IME the blade
type and trueness, plays a far greater part than the price of the saw.

Good point. Put top quality blade in a cheapo and it must be improved.

Typically, but not necessarily.

You must have had a dud blade or perhaps there was a setting problem.

He said they *both* worked well so your response doesn't make sense!

Exactly.

Your responses seldom make sense......

Compound mitre Cut LR Woodworking 2 July 14th 04 01:24 AM
Anyone recommend a compound mitre circular saw? Al Reynolds UK diy 2 December 17th 03 12:59 AM
Large coving mitre box? Philip Kime UK diy 8 November 19th 03 12:26 AM
compound mitre saws Mike Woodworking 2 July 11th 03 03:47 AM