Fred

Default regularise loft conversion

I have recently moved into this house where the attic bedroom has been
completed long ago without any paperwork whatsoever to indicate
building regs. The council has told me (before I bought) to have no
records and no interest in this sort of problem whatsoever. How much
of a problem is that? I mean surely I will put some insulation up -
it's frightening how cold a house gets with no loft insulation. And
eventually I will do some reroofing (in maybe three or four years -
need to raise the money first). So I think in order to live in the
house, I do not need building regs or major work if you like, but in
the longer term, with ultimate selling in mind, I would want to do
whatever work I do to standards, so that I can get closer to building
regs eventually and when I do decide to call out the BCO he won't have
that much to complain. In short: where can I find precise indications
of the regs regarding loft conversions, and do they apply in my case -
house built 19th c. conversion done before 1990.

Fred
David M

Fred wrote:
[...]

You can find the full regs here

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...hcst?n=240&l=2

http://tinyurl.com/qjn7

You will primarily need to exmanine docs A, B and L.

A google for loft conversion regulations will throw up come local council
documents which summarise the main points.

The main issue, as I understand it, is that once you start doing the work
and get BCO involved then you have to meet all the necessary regulations,
you can't just upgrade the insulation and then tell them, as they will then
want to see plans and documents for the full conversion.

While it may be relatively easy and desirable to upgrade insulation, the
real issue with loft conversions become the structural supports, and
ensuring they meet the regs. Then assuming the house is two storeys you
generally have to make all doors on the ground and 1st floors fire doors.

In any event if you plan on getting full BCO approval it will be worthwhile
getting a structural engineer in to have a look and check out the if the
current flooring and supports are adequate.

cheers

David
MikeS

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Fred,

Insulation is one of the things that comes under the building regulations
unless the work was done before this sort of thing was made mandatory. If
you want to bring the house up to modern standards your local councils
building inspectors or architects office may be helpful and have pamphlets
available. Be aware if you insulate your loft you must make provision to
prevent interstitual condensation in the insulation this is where advise
from the departments mentioned is helpful. It is for your protection and
will add value yo your property and save rotting wood due to an unvenilated
roof space.
MikeS