Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Riz1

Default embarrasingly basic thermostatic radiator valves question!

Hi.
I liked the principle if having thermostatic radiator vales fitted as
i had the problem in my house that some rooms got stiflingly hot while
others remained relatively cool/just right [different amounts of heat
retention].

I also hoped this would help lower my fuel bills.
A friend of the family builder duly fitted for me and i note he has
fitted the Wickes TRVs..
I had simply assumed these would work [rather like a room thermostat]
by you waiting til the room gets to the desired temp and then moving
the dial until it just "clicks" off.

However these bascically have a dial numbered from 1 to 5 [and no
discernable noise of them "shutting" now matter if i swung the dial
from 1 extreme to the other]. I didnt patiently see if they work by
seeing if a radiator got cooler [ie no hot feed in] if i turned the
dial down to 1 or * but basically i don tknow how they work! Do i
randomly try different numbers in each room until i manage to match a
"number" with a comfirtable temp?

Do these valves simply work by restricting the amount of hot water
that enters depending on how high a setting is selected [and if no how
would that differ from the normal turn-screw valves that were on
there?]

I appreciate helping me solve this simple but perplexing matter.
Thanks