Statics

Default Basic Anodizing Question

Yes and yes. 6061 is a very common alloy for anodizers to do.

What's the application?

StaticsJason

"gglines" wrote in message
Is aluminum anodizing tough enough to withstand a dishwasher? Will 6061
anodize well?

Thanks,

George

Glenn Ashmore

6061 is anodized all the time but how it stands up to a dishwasher
depends on the SWMBO's opinion. I landed in some serious dodo when I
washed a couple of "antique" aluminum jelly glasses.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Bob May

The anodization lasts pretty well in the dishwasher but any color added to
the coating will come out with repeated washings. The spun cups from the
'50s lost a lot of their color when washed several times but the anodizing
itself still remained.
Almost any of the aluminums take anodizing well and 6061 is a standard for
the electronics industry for parts and most of those parts are anodized to
keep from corroding.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

gglines

"Statics" wrote in message
Yes and yes. 6061 is a very common alloy for anodizers to do.

What's the application?

StaticsJason

Kitchen gadget. Dishwasher safe would be best. Given the other responses,
looks like I'm forced to go to stainless.

Thanks,

George

gglines

Very helpful - thank you very much!

"Statics" wrote in message
.. .

"gglines" wrote in message

"Statics" wrote in message
Yes and yes. 6061 is a very common alloy for anodizers to do.

What's the application?

StaticsJason

Kitchen gadget. Dishwasher safe would be best. Given the other

looks like I'm forced to go to stainless.

Thanks,

George

Maybe so. Just be aware that there are many different annodizing

processes
out there with widely varying corrosion protection levels. For example, a
level of anodizing can even be done in a bath of Coca-Cola (phosphoric

acid
anodizing). There are chromic, phosphoric, and sulphuric acid processes
just to name a few. There is also a 'hard coat' specialty process that
produces a very tough surface but it may not be cosmetically suited to

your
project (produces a dull coat). For proper hard coat anodizing, the
sulfuric acid bath is kept very cool and it's done at much higher voltage
than usual.

For an example photo of anodized kitchen ware, see:
http://www.fortwayneanodizing.com/01.../anodizing.htm

At one time Fort Wayne would anodize sample parts sent in for free to
prospective clients. Haven't done business with them so I cannot speak

for
their quality.

hth,

StaticsJason

Statics

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Is there any advantage to phosphoric acid anodizing over the more common
sulfuric?

Ted

No, sulfuric produces a tougher coating. Sulfuric acid is cheap and widely
available. Good durability and economics make it the most common choice for
mechanical parts.

I understand phosphoric is occasionally used as a base coating for
electroplating (at least so says an older ALCOA publication).

StaticsJason

Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs UK diy 5 March 26th 04 01:36 AM
Basic electrical question MattP UK diy 32 February 6th 04 08:42 PM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Pipe thread question, NPT vs NPSF, MIP, FIP and IPS Jeff Wisnia Metalworking 1 August 9th 03 04:20 AM
Anodizing Questions c Metalworking 4 July 23rd 03 04:40 AM