John W

Default Under the bath earthing

I am about to refit a bathroom and the two 3/4" pipes to the bath each have
an earth wire attached. I am going to convert to 22mm and use a push fit
flexible hose for ease as time is short. Are there any issues with the
earthing, as the push fit looks to be plastic and will prevent the braid
from earthing the taps. Do I have to run another earth wire to the "other"
side of the flexible hose (300mm)?

TIA
John

ARWadsworth

"John W" wrote in message
I am about to refit a bathroom and the two 3/4" pipes to the bath each

have
an earth wire attached. I am going to convert to 22mm and use a push fit
flexible hose for ease as time is short. Are there any issues with the
earthing, as the push fit looks to be plastic and will prevent the braid
from earthing the taps. Do I have to run another earth wire to the "other"
side of the flexible hose (300mm)?

No.

Just refit or replace the earth clamps to the new 22mm pipes. There is no
need to cross the flexihose with an earth wire if the hose is the final
connection to the tap.

Adam

Christian McArdle

I am about to refit a bathroom and the two 3/4" pipes to the bath each
have
an earth wire attached. I am going to convert to 22mm and use a push fit
flexible hose for ease as time is short.

The best solution is to run plastic for a metre (or more), if you can cut
back the copper further and use plastic pipework. Then remove all
supplementary bonding from the bath (if metal) or taps themselves. This is
safer than running with copper and supplementary bonding.

Christian.

Martin Angove

In message ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

"John W" wrote in message
I am about to refit a bathroom and the two 3/4" pipes to the bath each

have
an earth wire attached. I am going to convert to 22mm and use a push fit
flexible hose for ease as time is short. Are there any issues with the
earthing, as the push fit looks to be plastic and will prevent the braid
from earthing the taps. Do I have to run another earth wire to the "other"
side of the flexible hose (300mm)?

No.

Just refit or replace the earth clamps to the new 22mm pipes. There is no
need to cross the flexihose with an earth wire if the hose is the final
connection to the tap.

300mm (a foot or so) is not generally regarded as being enough of a
break to completely isolate one side from the other due to the water
inside the pipework. As Christian suggests, the best thing would be to
use a meter or more of plastic which is likely to be enough.

Be careful though; if this is a metal bath (pressed steel or cast iron
for example) then you may get stray earthing through non-indended paths
such as the metal pipework touching a leg, or the bath being fixed to
structural metalwork in the building. Under these circumstances (i.e.
where you are not able to guarantee that the bath is completely isolated
from anything "earthy", then supplementary bonding is the only option,
and yes, I'd jumper the plastic sections. Don't forget the wire to the
bath itself as the earth through the taps (and plastic washers / enamel
etc.) may not be up to much.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
ARWadsworth

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

"John W" wrote in message
[...]

Agreed, but we are (I hope) talking about flexible push fit tap connectors
for the final connection from copper pipework to the taps. If the pipes
supplying the plastic/flexible hose are bonded then you can ignore the
jumping of the hose with an earth lead to the taps. If it is a metal bath
then this would of course also need to be bonded to the pipes.

Be careful though; if this is a metal bath (pressed steel or cast iron
for example) then you may get stray earthing through non-indended paths
such as the metal pipework touching a leg, or the bath being fixed to
structural metalwork in the building.

Yes. A metal bath should be bonded to the new 22mm supply pipes (unless as
said earlier it is supplied by plastic pipes longer than 1 metre)

Under these circumstances (i.e.
where you are not able to guarantee that the bath is completely isolated
from anything "earthy", then supplementary bonding is the only option,
and yes, I'd jumper the plastic sections. Don't forget the wire to the
bath itself as the earth through the taps (and plastic washers / enamel
etc.) may not be up to much.

How do you bond a tap on a bath? There is no room to get anything other than
a 22mm basin wrench into the small void.

Adam

Martin Angove

In message ,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

"Martin Angove" wrote in message

300mm (a foot or so) is not generally regarded as being enough of a
break to completely isolate one side from the other due to the water
inside the pipework. As Christian suggests, the best thing would be to
use a meter or more of plastic which is likely to be enough.

Agreed, but we are (I hope) talking about flexible push fit tap connectors
for the final connection from copper pipework to the taps.

I'm not sure you can imply this from the OP. FWIW, my initial mental
picture was of the OP leaving the existing taps with a short tail of
3/4" and then using a flexi to connect to the new 22mm incoming. Under
these circumstances I'd suggest it is both possible and debateably
desirable to jumper a short length of plastic.

If the pipes
supplying the plastic/flexible hose are bonded then you can ignore the
jumping of the hose with an earth lead to the taps.

And of course under most circumstances it's nigh on impossible to bond
that close to the tap anyway, as you say later :-)

Interesting question that then... it is entirely possible, under
circumstances where the final connection to the tap is a short length of
plastic, for the tap to be "earthy" via the conduction of the water, but
not part of the supplementary bonding due to a: impossibility of
attaching an earth to the tap and b: plastic washers and so on isolating
it from the bonded body of a metal bath.

Hmmm... Even if the bath were plastic/GRP etc. it wouldn't work unless
the plastic section of pipe was, as suggested, some 1m or so.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... I'm not schizophrenic. It's this guy beside me!