Martin Evans

Default central heating on all the time

Hi We have oil fired boiler Camray quartet with one pump and two acl
lifestyle 2 port valves, everything has been working fine last few years but
now boiler and pump running constantly even with programmer set to off for
both HW and CH only way I can stop running is to turn of main supply to
system. Any ideas what problem could be.

Malc

"Martin Evans" wrote in message
Hi We have oil fired boiler Camray quartet with one pump and two acl
lifestyle 2 port valves, everything has been working fine last few years

but
now boiler and pump running constantly even with programmer set to off for
both HW and CH only way I can stop running is to turn of main supply to
system. Any ideas what problem could be.

I think the controller's knackered. Probably the relay/s have welded on. I
suppose it's possible that a tank stat could give the same result but
without checking diagrams I wouldn't know. If you've got a meter can you get
it onto the terminals in the controller with the controller on and see if
the outputs are being switched. which controller is it by the way?

--
Malc

raden

In message , Martin Evans
writes
Hi We have oil fired boiler Camray quartet with one pump and two acl
lifestyle 2 port valves, everything has been working fine last few years but
now boiler and pump running constantly even with programmer set to off for
both HW and CH only way I can stop running is to turn of main supply to
system. Any ideas what problem could be.

Have the contacts in the programmer welded themselves together ?

--
geoff
John

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Martin Evans
writes
Hi We have oil fired boiler Camray quartet with one pump and two acl
lifestyle 2 port valves, everything has been working fine last few years
but
now boiler and pump running constantly even with programmer set to off for
both HW and CH only way I can stop running is to turn of main supply to
system. Any ideas what problem could be.

Have the contacts in the programmer welded themselves together ?

If there are two valves it suggests an S plan system so the current drawn
through the programmer contacts is negligible (valve motor only) I'd suggest
the contacts in one of the motorised valve limit switches might be the
culprit. In each valve cable there will be an orange wire and a grey wire
from the limit switches. These will be connected together in the wiring
centre terminal box (orange to orange and grey to grey) with a live feed to
(usually) the grey wires and a switched supply from the orange wires to the
boiler and the pump. Carefully seperate one grey at a time from the terminal
(isolating while doing this or you will get the little men up your arm) and
try each time to see when the short circuited one is found. You then have a
choice of changing the microswitch which is a buggering about task or
changing the valve head if its of a vintage with a removable head and a five
wire swap, just keep a note of where the old wire colours went before
pulling them apart.

The Natural Philosopher

Martin Evans wrote:

Hi We have oil fired boiler Camray quartet with one pump and two acl
lifestyle 2 port valves, everything has been working fine last few years but
now boiler and pump running constantly even with programmer set to off for
both HW and CH only way I can stop running is to turn of main supply to
system. Any ideas what problem could be.

Stuck motorised valve.

Same here. Must replace it.
Simple job.
So far its responded to hammer blows..

The Natural Philosopher

John wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Martin Evans
writes

[...]

I my case its teh valve motor nd gear train that is the problem, not the
switch. In order to actually have the rads getting hot, the valve must
be stuck open, not just the switch shorted.

If teh switch shorts but teh valve closes you get pum.boiler running but
short cycling and no hot rads..

John

John wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Martin Evans
writes

[...]

I read the ops post as the boiler and pump running but nothing about the
rads or hot water being "on"

Martin Evans

hot water and radiators are all hot

"John" wrote in message

John wrote:

"raden" wrote in message

In message , Martin Evans
writes

[...]

John

"Martin Evans" wrote in message
hot water and radiators are all hot

So the valves are both open? Have you taken a look into the wiring centre
and tested to see whether the motor "open" signals are present on the wiring
to the valve motors (brown wires in the multicore flexibles)
Just to help a little a standard s-plan valve head uses brown (or in the
case of Danfoss valves brown&white) as the motor supply, blue as motor
neutral, green&yellow as earth, grey and orange are connected to the limit
switch which closes contact when the valve is open. A few such as Honeywell
also have a white wire which is used with an alternative changeover contact
limit switch for use in a c-plan system.
If the brown wires are live then the problem will be outside the valve motor
heads and the programmer needs more investigation always assuming that there
aren't any external influences such as frost stats.