Chris Ashley

Default Cleaning tiled floor?

What's the best way of cleaning a tiled floor? I've tried those cheap
electrostatic 'mop' things which you attach a floor wipe to but
they're no good. As it's a flat I don't have anywhere to store a real
mop. Are those expensive flash ones which use fluid bottles any good?

Also, what to do about stained tiles? Can I use bleach or will this
damage them?

Thanks in advance - apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup to post
to.

Chris
Mary Fisher

"Chris Ashley" wrote in message
What's the best way of cleaning a tiled floor? I've tried those cheap
electrostatic 'mop' things which you attach a floor wipe to but
they're no good. As it's a flat I don't have anywhere to store a real
mop. Are those expensive flash ones which use fluid bottles any good?

Also, what to do about stained tiles? Can I use bleach or will this
damage them?

Thanks in advance - apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup to post
to.

Chris

It's a problem. I don't think there's an *easy* way to get a 100%
satisfactory finish. I get down on my honkers with a cloth and any cleaning
medium - Flash is good. Then I get down again with a thoroughly rinsed cloth
and wipe it over. Then I do that again.

Any other way leaves streaks, I've tried over many years and I'm not
prepared to live with that. If floor is mucky it's mucky, if it's meant to
be clean it has to be.

And I do the same with the laminate floor in the sitting room when there are
little piles of chicken **** on it. It's the only way.

Mary

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It's a problem. I don't think there's an *easy* way to get a 100%
satisfactory finish. I get down on my honkers with a cloth and any
cleaning medium - Flash is good. Then I get down again with a
thoroughly rinsed cloth and wipe it over. Then I do that again.

Any tips for an outdoor quarry tile path, Mary? It's quite new so looks
better clean. The rest of the York stone paving in the garden I prefer
weathered. Can't be bothered with a power washer.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Grunff

Mary Fisher wrote:

And I do the same with the laminate floor in the sitting room when there are
little piles of chicken **** on it. It's the only way.

????

--
Grunff
Grunff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Any tips for an outdoor quarry tile path, Mary? It's quite new so looks
better clean. The rest of the York stone paving in the garden I prefer
weathered. Can't be bothered with a power washer.

Pressure washer :-)

--
Grunff

Mary Fisher

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Any tips for an outdoor quarry tile path, Mary?

No, I don't have one. If I did I suspect we'd use the pressure washer. But a
sweeping brush clears everything we're bothered about on the garden paths.

Mary

It's quite new so looks
better clean. The rest of the York stone paving in the garden I prefer
weathered. Can't be bothered with a power washer.

Pressure washer :-)

--
Grunff

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
Any tips for an outdoor quarry tile path, Mary?

No, I don't have one. If I did I suspect we'd use the pressure washer.
But a sweeping brush clears everything we're bothered about on the
garden paths.

Does with me too for everywhere else. But this is the front path. The
original Victorian one was red black and cream tiles in a chequer pattern,
but very uneven with many broken. So I completely re-made it using the
closest match in tiles I could find. And it looks good. But even better
clean.;-)

Trouble with things like a pressure washer is finding somewhere to store
it when not in use. No garage, etc.

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Grunff

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble with things like a pressure washer is finding somewhere to store
it when not in use. No garage, etc.

I bought my very first one last summer, and have to say that now I've
owned one, I wouldn't be without one. The amount of time it saves is
staggering.

If I didn't have a garage, it'd go under the kitchen sink.

--
Grunff
Mary Fisher

"Grunff" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Trouble with things like a pressure washer is finding somewhere to store
it when not in use. No garage, etc.

I bought my very first one last summer, and have to say that now I've
owned one, I wouldn't be without one. The amount of time it saves is
staggering.

Ours isn't used much but it's not only time saving but very efficient for
the jobs it is most used for: the annual cleaning of the carport roof and
the occasional cleaning of the Eglu - an all plastic henhouse. QWe've also
used it for cleaning groundsheets after very muddy sites, the caravan and
the greenhouse.

If I didn't have a garage, it'd go under the kitchen sink.

I'd be prepared to put ours under the bed if necessary. We'd have to
re-organise the boxes of wine but in the cause of tidiness we could make
space ... ;-)

Mary

--
Grunff

Mark S.

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:35:25 +0000, Grunff wrote:

Mary Fisher wrote:

And I do the same with the laminate floor in the sitting room when there are
little piles of chicken **** on it. It's the only way.

????

Presumably the chickens shelter in the front room while Mary jet
washes the hen house? ;-)

Mark S.

Mary Fisher

Mary Fisher wrote:

And I do the same with the laminate floor in the sitting room when there
are
little piles of chicken **** on it. It's the only way.

????

Presumably the chickens shelter in the front room while Mary jet
washes the hen house? ;-)

Nice one but no, we sometimes bring them in, for instance if it's dark or
raining and grandchildren want to see them. We've also occasionally had them
in when they haven't been well or (twice and two different hens) they've
gone swimming in the pond and have had to be washed and dried ...

It's not a big flock. Two Wyandotte bantams - but they still do what hens
do!

Mary

Mark S.

The Natural Philosopher

Chris Ashley wrote:

What's the best way of cleaning a tiled floor? I've tried those cheap
electrostatic 'mop' things which you attach a floor wipe to but
they're no good. As it's a flat I don't have anywhere to store a real
mop. Are those expensive flash ones which use fluid bottles any good?

Also, what to do about stained tiles? Can I use bleach or will this
damage them?

Thanks in advance - apologies if this is the wrong newsgroup to post
to.

Chris

Get on yer knees with a variety of sponge scourers, a bucket of warm
water witha floor cleaing solution in it, and a bottle of acetone or
paint remover for any ground in organic stuff.

We also have a magic mop, but I forget where we got iot. Squeezable
shard sponge. Sililar things are available from ships chandlers for
cleaning yacht decks. Tey are able to hold vast qunatities of dirty water...