Owain

Default Even the pros can't get a builder

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1246242004

ADVISING couples on the best way to turn their homes into the epitome of
style comes easily to TV makeover expert Anna Ryder Richardson. ... But now
the Changing Rooms presenter has told how her dream of transforming the
former headquarters of the Scottish Football Association into her own home
has turned into a nightmare.
Ms Ryder Richardson bought the five-storey terraced property in the West
End of Glasgow for £600,000 with the intention of turning it into a dream
home for her and her partner, Colin MacDougall. But two and a half years on,
she is still living in a rented house because she is unable to find builders
willing to take on the mammoth renovation. ...
Ms Ryder Richardson said: "Two and a half years ago we bought this huge
terraced house in one of Glasgow's loveliest crescents from the SFA - and I
admit I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew. I don't regret it,
but it's been an enormous learning curve and the builders are only just
going in now. "Initially it was such a big project we really didn't know
where to start. But now we have a quantity surveyor in charge and he's put
it into perspective for us. One of the biggest problems has been finding a
building firm that's large enough to take on the job - builders kept saying
it was too big for them. But our surveyor has put it out to tender to six
different builders, work is set to begin any minute and it's actually going
to happen."

Owain

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Owain wrote:
One of the biggest problems has been finding a building firm that's
large enough to take on the job - builders kept saying it was too big
for them. But our surveyor has put it out to tender to six different
builders, work is set to begin any minute and it's actually going to
happen."

Suppose there might be little between the average jobbing builder who
works on ordinary houses and the large companies who do new builds, etc?

--
*I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Al Reynolds

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Owain wrote:
One of the biggest problems has been finding a building firm that's
large enough to take on the job - builders kept saying it was too big
for them. But our surveyor has put it out to tender to six different
builders, work is set to begin any minute and it's actually going to
happen."

Suppose there might be little between the average jobbing builder who
works on ordinary houses and the large companies who do new builds, etc?

Nah - I reckon the builders would have loved the
job but got cold feet when they realised that any
mistakes they made might well end up on TV...

Al

Chris Doran

I am reminded of a story told me by a retired builder:

It seems his wife got tired of the fact that he never got around to
any of the repairs required to their own home, so in exasperation she
'phoned another builder for a quote. Naturally, the person who
answered the call was the other builder's wife who said she had the
same problem. So they agreed to do each other's repairs as normal work
jobs, an arrangement which lasted for years.

Chris