Ian Stirling

Default Cable IDs

Peter Ramm wrote:
I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

But how would you write the text on the fur?

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter Ramm wrote:
I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

Commonly self adhesive strip in different colours with the number repeated
along it - 555555555 - etc.

You get better looking clip on plastic numbers - but I've not seen them
suitable for TW&E.

--
*Money isn't everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
David Lawson

http://www.canford.co.uk

Search for cable markers.

But you have to buy 100 off each number. And the tapered tool.

"Peter Ramm" wrote in message
I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

Any suggestions?

(Went in RS today to buy some bits - asked for a catalogue and came
home with a full boxed set of 5 - an awful lot of light reading ;-)
--
Pete Ramm
LID

Stamp out Spam - See my anti-spam pages:
http://www.spamfreezone.org

Owain

"Ian Stirling" wrote
| Peter Ramm wrote:
| There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself"
| types - but I want something which will look the d's bs.
| But how would you write the text on the fur?

Shave and tattoo.

Owain

Owain

"Peter Ramm" wrote
| I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on
| the external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally
| I would like to put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing
| the various sites but can't find anything big enough.
| There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself"
| types - but I want something which will look the d's bs.
| Any suggestions?

Brother make a range of gorgeous little labelling machines that print on a
variety of tapes. The print is sealed within the tape so it's scratch- and
fade-resistant. That's what the pro's use. (But the pro's can get their
tapes on expenses. There is an ongoing cost to using a labelling machine.)

Alternatively, a sheet of labels through the computer printer with some
clear plastic book-cover (or wide sellotape) over them.

Owain

Vortex

"Peter Ramm" wrote in message
I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

Any suggestions?

(Went in RS today to buy some bits - asked for a catalogue and came
home with a full boxed set of 5 - an awful lot of light reading ;-)
--
Pete Ramm
LID

Stamp out Spam - See my anti-spam pages:
http://www.spamfreezone.org

I recommend a Brother p-touch labeller. Great for professional labelling of
anything/everything.

IIRC they start at about 20 quid. I think this must be the current range:

http://www.brother-store.co.uk/Merch...tegory_Code=LM

David

Steve Walker

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:23:48 +0100, Peter Ramm wrote:

I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

Any suggestions?

(Went in RS today to buy some bits - asked for a catalogue and came
home with a full boxed set of 5 - an awful lot of light reading ;-)

Numbered rings are not normally used for this, instead markers are placed
on a carrier and the carrier is then attached to the cable with two cable
ties. Take a look in the RS catalogue for Ovalgrip LFH Cable Markers or
take a look at the RS website, under Cable and Connectors / Cable
Accessories / Markers / Markers and select the second page and look for it
there. I can only see the markers there, but the picture shows the carrier,
so you'll know what to look for. but I don't know where to find it!

Steve W
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Peter Ramm writes:
I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

Any suggestions?

I find a biro writes very well on the PVC sheath.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Rick Dipper

wrote:

I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors). Ideally I would like to
put numbered "rings" on - I've been browsing the various sites but
can't find anything big enough.
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

Any suggestions?

(Went in RS today to buy some bits - asked for a catalogue and came
home with a full boxed set of 5 - an awful lot of light reading ;-)

Biro, just write on the cable, works better with white cable.

Or masking tape, wrap it round, and stick it to itsself.

Rick

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Peter Ramm wrote:
There are obviously loads of "tie on/write it on yourself" types - but
I want something which will look the d's bs.

The other way is to do something neat that you like on your computer,
print it out, stick it in place and cover with clear heat shrink sleeving.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Andy Wade

Peter Ramm wrote:

Any suggestions?

The already-mentioned Brother label printer (or similar) with clear
heatshrink sleeving over makes a nice job.

--
Andy
Ian Stirling

wrote:

I would like to put some cable IDs on 2.5 and 1.0T&E (ie on the
external cable - not on internal conductors).

Many thanks for responses - I'm going to give the "print out on PC"
and clear heat shrink sleeving a go.

Longevity of various PC printing methods varies widely.
As does performance under damp.
If you think that inkjet stuff may get even slightly damp, then some sort
of clear lacquer on the paper may be a good idea to help mitigate
bleeding.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Many thanks for responses - I'm going to give the "print out on PC"
and clear heat shrink sleeving a go.

Longevity of various PC printing methods varies widely.

Certainly ink jet colours change quite quickly even when laminated. Is
laser any better?

But black print should say legible for quite a long time?

--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Peter

Owain wrote:
"Peter Ramm" wrote

Brother make a range of gorgeous little labelling machines that print on a
variety of tapes. The print is sealed within the tape so it's scratch- and
fade-resistant.

The labels from my brother p-touch do fade. I've used (orginal brother
supplies) black print on white and blue print on white tapes. This has
happened to both labels outside and in direct daylight and (to a lesser
extent) to labels I've printed for folders inside.

You can still read the labels of course, but they have faded.

Peter D
Ian Stirling

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Ian Stirling wrote:
Many thanks for responses - I'm going to give the "print out on PC"
and clear heat shrink sleeving a go.

Longevity of various PC printing methods varies widely.

Certainly ink jet colours change quite quickly even when laminated. Is
laser any better?

But black print should say legible for quite a long time?

Black from inkjets can degrade, especially older models.

The longest would probably be something like dot-matrix with carbon
black ink, on acid free paper.

For laser, I don't really know.
It's going to be better than at least some inkjets, and if kept out
of the light should be pretty durable.
I'd worry about ink bleeding, even when laminated on inkjets over
long periods (20 years plus).
If laminated laser should be at least legible for a century.