david thorpe

Default pot holes in track

I've got a track leading to my place, fields either side, grass
growing in the middle where car tyres never go.

It seems to be gravel just bedded in to the earth underneath and
compacted by vehicles paassing over it. But it's developing a few
potholes.

Does anyone know the best way of filling them in? I have a feeling
that just filling them with stones won't do it. Or will it?

David
Peter Stockdale

"david thorpe" wrote in message
I've got a track leading to my place, fields either side, grass
growing in the middle where car tyres never go.

It seems to be gravel just bedded in to the earth underneath and
compacted by vehicles paassing over it. But it's developing a few
potholes.

Does anyone know the best way of filling them in? I have a feeling
that just filling them with stones won't do it. Or will it?

David

Fill the holes with the same stuff as the non holey bit - gravel if that's
what it is - don't just use "stones"

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

N. Thornton

david thorpe wrote in message . ..
I've got a track leading to my place, fields either side, grass
growing in the middle where car tyres never go.

It seems to be gravel just bedded in to the earth underneath and
compacted by vehicles paassing over it. But it's developing a few
potholes.

Does anyone know the best way of filling them in? I have a feeling
that just filling them with stones won't do it. Or will it?

David

depends how its made to start with. Probably the simplest road is just
gravel. Much better is cement (as dry powder) followed by stones, and
roll it. The cement stops the stones sinking into the mud.

NT
nightjar

"david thorpe" wrote in message
I've got a track leading to my place, fields either side, grass
growing in the middle where car tyres never go.

It seems to be gravel just bedded in to the earth underneath and
compacted by vehicles paassing over it. But it's developing a few
potholes.

Does anyone know the best way of filling them in? I have a feeling
that just filling them with stones won't do it. Or will it?

Use well-compacted MOT (road sub-base material). It contains a mix of stones
and clay, which work together to hold everything in place.

Colin Bignell

The Natural Philosopher

david thorpe wrote:

I've got a track leading to my place, fields either side, grass
growing in the middle where car tyres never go.

It seems to be gravel just bedded in to the earth underneath and
compacted by vehicles paassing over it. But it's developing a few
potholes.

Does anyone know the best way of filling them in? I have a feeling
that just filling them with stones won't do it. Or will it?

It will, but most will jump out.

Best material is road grade limestone, which crushes to fit.

You keep doing it untill its finsished crushing with the traffic.

David

Rick Dipper

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:22:19 +0200, david thorpe
wrote:

I've got a track leading to my place, fields either side, grass
growing in the middle where car tyres never go.

It seems to be gravel just bedded in to the earth underneath and
compacted by vehicles paassing over it. But it's developing a few
potholes.

Does anyone know the best way of filling them in? I have a feeling
that just filling them with stones won't do it. Or will it?

David

I have a similar issue, I just fill with any old rubbish. Between the
animal deposits, and the leaves, there is no way to keep a gravel
track clean. My master plan is to spend 11K on concrete, and probably
a similar ammount to lay it, snd solve the issue for ever.

Rick

david thorpe

My master plan is to spend 11K on concrete, and probably
a similar ammount to lay it, snd solve the issue for ever.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I like your idea, Rick but it'll take at at least 3 days to save up
22k and I'd like to do the work tomorrow......

David
Conrad Edwards

david thorpe wrote in message . ..
My master plan is to spend 11K on concrete, and probably
a similar ammount to lay it, snd solve the issue for ever.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I like your idea, Rick but it'll take at at least 3 days to save up
22k and I'd like to do the work tomorrow......

David

Limestone aggregate..and drive your car over it to compact it.
Builders merchants sell it for about £20/ton plus delivery plus charge
for big bags (refundable on next order).
B&Q sell it for a couple of quid for a 25kg? bag.

Accurate Holes in Concrete? (Slightly Bogus Metal Content) Doug White Metalworking 12 August 28th 04 06:20 PM
Dark Kitchen / Track Lighting? Quidnunc Home Repair 12 January 19th 04 12:32 AM
Boring dog holes... Silvan Woodworking 5 November 4th 03 07:10 PM
Foundation holes jim Home Repair 0 August 14th 03 04:10 PM
screw holes in maple hardwood floor blue Woodworking 10 July 16th 03 07:18 PM