Philip

Default Idiots guide to exterior floodlighting?

Anyone know of such a thing please.
I am at a loss as I have minimal knowledge of this subject.
I am looking for discharge luminaires with a rough equivalence to 1000w
tungsten/halogen. These will be controlled by either time switches or
dusk/dawn sensors.
Must give a white, not amber/yellow, light.
I've googled for hours and find myself more confused than ever. No doubt I
am not putting the right search in but I don't really know what I'm looking
for.
Tungsten/halogen I vaguely understand as that is what I use now. Several
luminaires are well past the use-by date. So I would like to replace them
with more modern and efficient units.
Son, Sox, HQI, metal halide ! The choices seem bewildering but, as yet, I
am unable to find a simple explanation or comparison of different types.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Philip.

Stephen Dawson

"Philip" wrote in message
[...]

How far are you trying to light ??
You should be looking at either HQI or Metal Halide fittings, may be 400W,
and you can buy these with a prewired photocell.

Regards

Steve Dawson

Ben

Stephen Dawson wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message

[...]

I believe metal halide has about the same efficiency as fluorescent
(i.e. about 4 times better than tungsten/halogen) so you'd be looking at
about 250W. For a cool white go for a colour temperature of around
4000K. A lower temperature (around 3000K) will give what is confusingly
referred to as a warmer white (more like tungsten/halogen). Any higher
than 5000K will start to look too blue.
John

Some good guidance he

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/astrosoc/cfds/installing.html

--

Regards

John

"Ben" wrote in message
Stephen Dawson wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message

[...]

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Ian Stirling

Philip wrote:
Anyone know of such a thing please.
I am at a loss as I have minimal knowledge of this subject.
I am looking for discharge luminaires with a rough equivalence to 1000w
tungsten/halogen. These will be controlled by either time switches or
dusk/dawn sensors.

Just remember that a 1000W light (of a similar beam shape) will only reach
3 times the distance of a 100W one.
Several small lights can often be much cheaper to run, as well as
producing less light pollution.

raden

In message , John
writes
Some good guidance he

http://www.star.le.ac.uk/astrosoc/cfds/installing.html

And for those challenged by how to post to usenet

http://alt-usage-english.org/ucle/ucle3.html

The information contained in this post
may not be published in, or used by
http://www.diyprojects.info

--
geoff
Stefek Zaba

Ian Stirling wrote:

Just remember that a 1000W light (of a similar beam shape) will only reach
3 times the distance of a 100W one.
Several small lights can often be much cheaper to run, as well as
producing less light pollution.

They also have the added benefit of being more resilient - you can lose
one or two bulbs in a 10-light with much less effect than if you've only
two or three lights. Against that is the increased frequency with which
bulbs will pop, mind...

Stefek
Philip

"Ben" wrote in message
Stephen Dawson wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message

[...]

Many thanks for all the replies.
Our application is aimed at both safety and security. Our work continues in
the open after dark.
Not too much bothered by the temperature of the light, just that the
light be white rather than yellow / amber.
The area to be illuminated is approx. 3500 sq.m.
At present we use 12 x 1000w tungsten halogen lamps around the periphery.
These are now quite aged, becoming unreliable and generally inadequate for
our requirements. Too many blind spots.
The present system has, like Topsy, growed and growed.
Now considering a central lighting/cctv tower of about 12-15m height for
main
illumination with, probably, 8 discharge lamps of an equivalence to 1000w
tungsten halogen. Additional illumination as required would be located
around the periphery with discharge lamps of lesser output.
Again, many thanks,

Philip.

Ian Stirling

Philip wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message
Stephen Dawson wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message

Anyone know of such a thing please.
I am at a loss as I have minimal knowledge of this subject.
I am looking for discharge luminaires with a rough equivalence to 1000w
tungsten/halogen. These will be controlled by either time switches or
dusk/dawn sensors.

snip
Many thanks for all the replies.
Our application is aimed at both safety and security. Our work continues in
the open after dark.
Not too much bothered by the temperature of the light, just that the
light be white rather than yellow / amber.

Yellow is some twice the efficiency of white.

The area to be illuminated is approx. 3500 sq.m.

So, 60*60m?
I suppose task lighting at each machine/station isn't an option?
(if there are such)

At present we use 12 x 1000w tungsten halogen lamps around the periphery.
These are now quite aged, becoming unreliable and generally inadequate for
our requirements. Too many blind spots.
The present system has, like Topsy, growed and growed.
Now considering a central lighting/cctv tower of about 12-15m height for
main
illumination with, probably, 8 discharge lamps of an equivalence to 1000w
tungsten halogen. Additional illumination as required would be located
around the periphery with discharge lamps of lesser output.
Again, many thanks,

This may cause more problems, with the light being more glarey, with
ultra-hard defined shadows.

Might 4 2Kw equivalent towers work?
If I was working there, I'd be interested in having my own light on each
of the towers, and a remote.
So, if I was having problems seeing, I could just remotely control a
spotlight to point at me with a little joystick.

Alternatively, you might consider that if you run cables between the
four towers, you can then hang lights from these.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ian Stirling writes:
illumination with, probably, 8 discharge lamps of an equivalence to 1000w
tungsten halogen. Additional illumination as required would be located
around the periphery with discharge lamps of lesser output.
Again, many thanks,

This may cause more problems, with the light being more glarey, with
ultra-hard defined shadows.

Might 4 2Kw equivalent towers work?

Something else if you are using multiple lamps is to have them
on multiple outreach arms which could increase the effective lamp
source size to upto 6 metres, which would reduce ultra-hard defined
shadows.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ben

Ian Stirling wrote:
Yellow is some twice the efficiency of white.

Only low pressure sodium though - high pressure sodium is the same
efficiency as metal halide. Apparently low pressure sodium appears even
brighter than it is aswell due to the eye being particularly sensitive
to that colour. They still look horrible though.
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Ben writes:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Yellow is some twice the efficiency of white.

Only low pressure sodium though - high pressure sodium is the same
efficiency as metal halide.

Um, metal halide is only about half the efficiency of high
pressure sodium. It's about the same as standard fluorescent
lamps, except for the lower power lamps where it reduces
(as with most discharge lamps).

Apparently low pressure sodium appears even
brighter than it is aswell due to the eye being particularly sensitive
to that colour. They still look horrible though.

They are the most efficient lamp source in common use.
(Actually, they are so efficient they barely generate
enough heat to vaporise the sodium -- hence their long
run-up time and construction resembling a thermos flask.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Peter

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Apparently low pressure sodium appears even
brighter than it is aswell due to the eye being particularly sensitive
to that colour. They still look horrible though.

They are the most efficient lamp source in common use.
(Actually, they are so efficient they barely generate
enough heat to vaporise the sodium -- hence their long
run-up time and construction resembling a thermos flask.)

And I think they are favored by astronomers, because of the narrow
wavelength band can be filtered out.

Peter D