Ian Stirling

Philip wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message
Stephen Dawson wrote:
"Philip" wrote in message

Anyone know of such a thing please.
I am at a loss as I have minimal knowledge of this subject.
I am looking for discharge luminaires with a rough equivalence to 1000w
tungsten/halogen. These will be controlled by either time switches or
dusk/dawn sensors.

snip
Many thanks for all the replies.
Our application is aimed at both safety and security. Our work continues in
the open after dark.
Not too much bothered by the temperature of the light, just that the
light be white rather than yellow / amber.

Yellow is some twice the efficiency of white.

The area to be illuminated is approx. 3500 sq.m.

So, 60*60m?
I suppose task lighting at each machine/station isn't an option?
(if there are such)

At present we use 12 x 1000w tungsten halogen lamps around the periphery.
These are now quite aged, becoming unreliable and generally inadequate for
our requirements. Too many blind spots.
The present system has, like Topsy, growed and growed.
Now considering a central lighting/cctv tower of about 12-15m height for
main
illumination with, probably, 8 discharge lamps of an equivalence to 1000w
tungsten halogen. Additional illumination as required would be located
around the periphery with discharge lamps of lesser output.
Again, many thanks,

This may cause more problems, with the light being more glarey, with
ultra-hard defined shadows.

Might 4 2Kw equivalent towers work?
If I was working there, I'd be interested in having my own light on each
of the towers, and a remote.
So, if I was having problems seeing, I could just remotely control a
spotlight to point at me with a little joystick.

Alternatively, you might consider that if you run cables between the
four towers, you can then hang lights from these.