Dave

Default Downlighter advice req. Mains or LV? How many?

Planning on fitting some downlighters in the kitchen and hallway ceilings.
Kitchen is 3.25m x 2.20m (worktop in a U-shape, wallunits on two walls) and
hallway is L-shaped - 2.45m x 1.85m with 0.90m x 0.95m taken off one corner.
Not worried about the ability to dim them, just want to switch them on and
off. Our ceilings are quite low (2.3m) so I have a feeling we would need
need a number of downlights spaced out around the areas involved to ensure
that the light produced is evenly spread out. Was thinking about having
three downlights in the hallway and four/five downlights in the kitchen (all
with wide beam bulbs).

Looking for recommendations on whether to use mains voltage (240v) lights or
low voltage (12v) lights and also depending on the type used how many would
be required to sufficiently light the areas without casting lots of shadows.
At the minute I am swaying towards LV ones.

Plus point I have for the mains downlighters is that they are easier to wire
up but on the down side they have a high wattage - 50W or 35W. I am also led
to believe the bulbs don't last as long as LV ones.

Plus points I have for the low voltage downlighters is that the bulbs last
longer and are more energy efficient. I am also told they give off a whiter
light. On the downside these may be a 'little' harder to wire up, and a
transformer needs to be used, but this shouldn't be too hard in my case as
the floorboards are already up in the rooms above. The trouble I have with
the LV lights is that I haven't got a clue how much light they produce!

Any advice welcomed.

Dave

Richard Porter

On 20 Oct 2004 "Dave" wrote:

Plus point I have for the mains downlighters is that they are easier
to wire up but on the down side they have a high wattage - 50W or
35W. I am also led to believe the bulbs don't last as long as LV
ones.

Get the Panasonic mains flourescent reflector bulbs in downlighters.
80mm size, 20w, protrude enough to give a spread of light rather than a
small pool on the floor.

--
Richard Porter
Mail to username ricp at domain minijem.plus.com
Christian McArdle

Looking for recommendations on whether to use mains voltage (240v) lights
or
low voltage (12v) lights

If you must install halogen downlighters, then install LV. Mains ones are an
environmental catastrophe, whilst LV ones are only an environmental
disaster.

Christian.

N. Thornton

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message et...
Looking for recommendations on whether to use mains voltage (240v) lights

or
low voltage (12v) lights

If you must install halogen downlighters, then install LV. Mains ones are an
environmental catastrophe, whilst LV ones are only an environmental
disaster.

Christian.

same deal financially as well. Cost of fittings is generally very
small compared to run cost with multibulb halogen setups.

And if you can, put them on 2 switches so you can select 3 different
brightness levels. Much more comfortable, and costs less too.

Mains bulbs cost more, dont last as long, break more easily, and are
less efficient.

NT
Gayton

[quote="Christian McArdle

If you must install halogen downlighters, then install LV. Mains ones
are an
environmental catastrophe, whilst LV ones are only an environmental
disaster.

Christian.[/quote]

I though halogen lights used far less electricity compared to normal
lights.

Rob Morley

In article , "Gayton" disgusted@easy-
dot-com.no-spam.invalid says...
[quote="Christian McArdle

If you must install halogen downlighters, then install LV. Mains ones
are an
environmental catastrophe, whilst LV ones are only an environmental
disaster.

Christian.[/quote]

I though halogen lights used far less electricity compared to normal
lights.

They just produce a bit more light than conventional incandescents
because they can run hotter without burning out.
Marcus Foreman

In message
Richard Porter wrote:

(Snip)

Get the Panasonic mains flourescent reflector bulbs in downlighters.
80mm size, 20w, protrude enough to give a spread of light rather than a
small pool on the floor.

Where is it possible to find these bulbs - the Panasonic site has no mention
of lighting.

--
Marcus
To reply use marcus at frenchay dot demon dot co dot uk