jasonoc

Default anyone dealt with discountcentralheating.co.uk?

Hiya all. Just tried to order from www.discountcentralheating.co.uk (a
boiler) and they say that they will only accept CASH on delivery. No
cheques or visa. This sounds a bit odd to me and i was wondering if
anyone here has ordered from this company? before.
Thanks in advance.

Jason
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
jasonoc wrote:
Hiya all. Just tried to order from www.discountcentralheating.co.uk (a
boiler) and they say that they will only accept CASH on delivery. No
cheques or visa. This sounds a bit odd to me and i was wondering if
anyone here has ordered from this company?

If they are trying to keep costs to a minimum, this would help. Cheques
and credit cards both cost.

--
*I like cats, too. Let's exchange recipes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Andy Hall

On 19 Oct 2004 09:31:53 -0700, (jasonoc)
wrote:

Hiya all. Just tried to order from
www.discountcentralheating.co.uk (a
boiler) and they say that they will only accept CASH on delivery. No
cheques or visa. This sounds a bit odd to me and i was wondering if
anyone here has ordered from this company? before.
Thanks in advance.

Jason

In that case avoid like the plague.

You are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations that apply to
on-line traders. However they don't seem to have their terms and
conditions of business on their web site so could claim that they only
sell to commercial customers and hence avoid these regulations.

The more serious point is that they don't accept credit cards which
means that you don't have any protection under the Consumer Credit
Act.

I can understand not accepting cheques because they don't know who you
are and the validity of the cheque. There are ways for traders to
validate cheques, though. One could offer to give them a cheque for
clearance ahead of delivery, but given the situation, I would not
dream of doing that.

Given that in consumer law your contract is with the immediate
supplier and not the manufacturer, then if anything goes wrong, you
have very little redress.

Since there are ways to accept payment for on-line transactions with
credit card via a bureau or even PayPal, there is absolutely no excuse
for an on-line trader not to accept credit card payments. They may
argue that there is a cost involved, and there is - 3 to 6%.
It really makes no sense to make this kind of saving if it results in
a major hassle to address an issue

They are not significantly cheaper than typical on line suppliers
either.

For example, a Worcester Bosch 40HE condensing boiler costs £1175 inc
flue kit and VAT from this outfit.

You can buy the same thing from Discounted Heating (who do accept
cards and have some track record) for £967 + £52 for flue (exc.)
Total £1197.

Given the circumstances, I would look elsewhere, including your local
heating merchant - ask if they can match the price.

..
..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Dan delaMare-Lyon

On 2004-10-19, Andy Hall wrote:

Given the circumstances, I would look elsewhere, including your local
heating merchant - ask if they can match the price.

Failing that - take a look at plumbworld.co.uk - if they have what you
want - buy it using the greasypalm.co.uk portal (I'll refer you if you
like mail me) and you'll get something like 2.5% cashback of the balue
of the purchase. That might - on balance - equate to the same.

I can't get back to Andy's post now as it's "gone" - but their prices
on his Worcester range seem competetive - someone feel free to call me
a plonker and that I need my eyes testing though

I've used em as have quite a few here now and they've been pretty
good.

Cheers
Dan.
Christian McArdle

and they say that they will only accept CASH on delivery. No cheques or
visa.

I wouldn't dream of not using a credit card for this sort of purchase. All
major electrical purchases should be made with a credit card, as the credit
company are equally liable in the event of a problem as the supplier. And I
know Barclaycard aren't going bust any time soon, so there will be someone
left to sue.

Christian.

jasonoc

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message ...
In article ,
jasonoc wrote:
Hiya all. Just tried to order from www.discountcentralheating.co.uk (a
boiler) and they say that they will only accept CASH on delivery. No
cheques or visa. This sounds a bit odd to me and i was wondering if
anyone here has ordered from this company?

If they are trying to keep costs to a minimum, this would help. Cheques
and credit cards both cost.

thanks for feedback guys, i will be avoiding.

Jason.
Tony Bryer

In article , Jasonoc
wrote:
Hiya all. Just tried to order from www.discountcentralheating.co.uk
(a boiler) and they say that they will only accept CASH on
delivery. No cheques or visa. This sounds a bit odd to me and i was
wondering if anyone here has ordered from this company? before.

I got my combi from them in February. They didn't actually specify
*used* notes and I did wonder whether I would open the carton to
find 20 bricks in it but all was fine. And, unlike some I could
mention, they delivered exactly when they said they would. I paid
£750inc for my Glow-worm 24Cxi which was the best price I could get
by a good margin but see that they are now charging £800, whilst
Plumbworld are £825 so there's not much of a saving.

As to sale of goods rights my reckoning is that although it would be
your legal right to do so you would be mad to remove a faulty boiler
and send it back for a replacement. Any sensible person would call on
the maker's warranty and any reputable maker will send an engineer
out to sort a faulty unit without fuss.

Christian McArdle

As to sale of goods rights my reckoning is that although it would be
your legal right to do so you would be mad to remove a faulty boiler
and send it back for a replacement.

Certainly, cash on delivery is safer than cheque and wait. At least you know
you've got the goods before the money leaves your hands.

Christian.

Tony Bryer

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
Certainly, cash on delivery is safer than cheque and wait. At
least you know you've got the goods before the money leaves your
hands.

The firms not to deal with (as more than a few leather sofa
purchasers found) are those who want payment up front and give you
the line about having to pay by cash or cheque because of the cost of
processing card payments. And - though I suspect most people here
already know this - most debit cards do not give you the same
protection as credit cards.

Owain

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote
| If they are trying to keep costs to a minimum, this would help.
| Cheques and credit cards both cost.

So does cash. It's expensive to insure and having vehicle drivers carrying
cash presents Health'N'Safety problems.

There is also the risk that someone might give the delivery driver a load of
colour photocopies in exchange for a shiny new boiler.

Owain

Graham Tavener

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Jasonoc
wrote:
[...]

I just bought a Vaillant combi from www.discountedheating.co.uk (note the
discount'ed') and it was very cheap compared to plumbworld and
discountheating. For example the Glow-worm 24Cxi is £679.15 inc vat and
delivery.
They accept cards and I was happy with their service as I had to order a few
Vaillant flue parts that were not listed on the web site, but they were able
to get them at cheap prices compared to plumbworld. Funny thing is the
boiler and flue parts were delivered from the local plumb centre, but were
much cheaper than they were quoting, shows the markup that plumb centre add
on.

No affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.

Graham

Tony Bryer

In article , Graham Tavener wrote:
I just bought a Vaillant combi from www.discountedheating.co.uk
(note the discount'ed') and it was very cheap compared to
plumbworld and discountheating. For example the Glow-worm 24Cxi
is £679.15 inc vat and delivery.

I think you'll find that the CXi price excludes the flue and
manifold which add another £157.45 inc

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm