Neal Jones

Default Performance Power not crap shocker!

I needed a random orbital sander in a hurry. so rather than conduct my
usual lengthy, and somewhat pathetic internet research, I went to the
Shed and got Performance Power 420 watt job.

It's excellent. Really sturdy. It has the velcro style base plate
which beats the whatsit out of my old B&D effort.

Plus it was only twelve quid. I've already used it loads - if it
breaks now I'll toss it and get another.
NUJ
Grunff

Neal Jones wrote:

I needed a random orbital sander in a hurry. so rather than conduct my
usual lengthy, and somewhat pathetic internet research, I went to the
Shed and got Performance Power 420 watt job.

It's excellent. Really sturdy. It has the velcro style base plate
which beats the whatsit out of my old B&D effort.

Heh. When I first read about random orbit sanders, I was very sceptical.
I didn't really want to add another sander to my vast range or crappy
orbital sanders which don't really sand at all.

I was in B&Q one day, and I saw the PP random orbit sander for £18. I
thought what the heck, let's try it. Took it home, tried it, and whaddya
know - it actually worked! For the first time, a sander other than my
belt sander actually worked!! I was most pleased. I used it to sand
wood. For exactly 2 hours. Then it stopped 'random orbiting', it just spun.

So it went right back to B&Q, and I bought at Bosch PEX400 instead. This
is a very similar tool in design. It performs in much the same way, with
the following differences:

1. It has a much, much better dust collector.
2. It vibrates a lot less.
3. It hasn't stopped working yet.

I've used the Bosch for maybe 60 hours so far. Superb.

Plus it was only twelve quid. I've already used it loads - if it
breaks now I'll toss it and get another.

Keep your receipt. When it breaks, get a Bosch.

--
Grunff
Andy Hall

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:33:48 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Neal Jones wrote:

[...]

Similar experience. I started with a B&D one and it failed in the
same way - the random orbit didn't.

I replaced it with a Metabo SXE450 and that has the same attributes of
excellent dust collection into a bag or to extraction and an ability
to set 3mm or 6mm orbits.

In terms of vibration I can do a day's work with it and have no
sensation of tingling fingers at the end.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rod Hewitt

Andy Hall wrote in
:

Neal Jones wrote:

[...]

And does anyone have experience of the Axminster RAS125 Random Orbit
Sander?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=31298

Quite a bit cheaper than the PEX400AE (and the SXE450!) - but is it that
much worse?

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
Grunff

Rod Hewitt wrote:

And does anyone have experience of the Axminster RAS125 Random Orbit
Sander?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=31298

Quite a bit cheaper than the PEX400AE (and the SXE450!) - but is it that
much worse?

Not tried it, but as much as I like Axminster, I'm not a fan of their
White range (at least not the hand tools - some of the bigger stuff is
good value). I had one of their 18V combis for a while, and frankly that
sucked.

--
Grunff

Rod Hewitt

Grunff wrote in :

Not tried it, but as much as I like Axminster, I'm not a fan of their
White range (at least not the hand tools - some of the bigger stuff is
good value). I had one of their 18V combis for a while, and frankly
that sucked.

Thanks Grunff.

--
Rod

www.annalaurie.co.uk
IMM

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
Grunff wrote in :

Not tried it, but as much as I like Axminster, I'm not a fan of their
White range (at least not the hand tools - some of the bigger stuff is
good value). I had one of their 18V combis for a while, and frankly
that sucked.

Argos have one £10.75 in a sale, which will be about the same quality, if
not better, than the white one.

Old Man Winter Will Hit Us Tonight! Maryjoe Home Repair 29 February 2nd 04 06:26 AM
Power supplies are burning out jbr Electronics Repair 19 January 22nd 04 05:47 AM
Vampire Appliances Watson A.Name - Watt Sun Electronics Repair 71 October 23rd 03 12:02 PM
power flushing Andy Hall UK diy 4 September 9th 03 11:59 PM