Jethro

Default 2 CH questions

Hi all

We have currently 8 rooms-size rads (in a bungalow) on our Vaillant Turbomax
combi.
SWMBO would like 2 extra rads ... a little one in the porch, and a little
chromey ladder one in the spare loo.
Am I right in thinking the boiler should be able to power two more rads OK ?
As for fitting :

1) switch off boiler
2) drain CH
3) tap in, and fit plumbing
4) re-fill system. & bleed
5) check for leaks
6) ensure lockshields are tight
7) start up
8) bleed
9) check 2 new rads are getting as hot as the others by judicious opening of
the lockshield.
10) drain a bit
12) add inhibitor

(9) is an idiots understanding of CH balancing.

The system is 2 years old, and had inhibitor

advice gratefully received

mike. buckley

In message , Jethro
writes
[...]

On the subject of draining - is it common not to have a drain point? My
system doesn't seem to have one and I've had to do the best I can with a
bit of hose. I'm blaming the previous bodging owners (4 spurs off one
socket - grrrrr)....

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Set Square

Jethro wrote:

Hi all

We have currently 8 rooms-size rads (in a bungalow) on our Vaillant
Turbomax combi.
SWMBO would like 2 extra rads ... a little one in the porch, and a
little chromey ladder one in the spare loo.
Am I right in thinking the boiler should be able to power two more
rads OK ?

How long is a piece of string? Your question is impossible to answer without
adding up the outputs of all your existing radiators, and comparing the
result with the boiler output to see how much spare capacity you have.

Having said that, if the boiler has been spec'd to give a good hot water
flow rate, it probably has more than enough capacity for the CH - but you
can't be absolutely sure without doing the sums.

As for fitting :

1) switch off boiler
2) drain CH
3) tap in, and fit plumbing
4) re-fill system. & bleed
5) check for leaks
6) ensure lockshields are tight
7) start up
8) bleed
9) check 2 new rads are getting as hot as the others by judicious
opening of the lockshield.
10) drain a bit
12) add inhibitor

That's basically it. Depending on the pipe layout, you may be able to
isolate the section where you're connecting your additional radiators
without draining the whole lot, and losing all the inhibitor.

(9) is an idiots understanding of CH balancing.

There's a bit more to it than that! Adding new rads will change the flow to
the existing rads to some extent, so you may have to adjust some these too
in order to get the balance right. Aim to get the same temperature drop
across all the rads.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Phil Addison

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 11:46:04 +0000 (UTC), "Jethro"
wrote:

[...]

You could try the FAQ, or alternatively read the FAQ, and failing that
there is always the FAQ as a starting point.

By the way, see the FAQ.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/rad-balance.html

The system is 2 years old, and had inhibitor

advice gratefully received

Err.... the FAQ?

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/