Joe

In message , Peter
writes

I have a problem with the use of directory, referring to the file
structure on a computer. You see a directory is a list of things with
further attributes, i.e. a phone directory, or a office personal
directory etc. In computer speak a directory should refer to the list
of users/systems/etc in the organization/domain/etc... Microsoft have
there Active Directory and there's the equlivents in other OS's such as LDAP.

AD *is* an implementation of LDAP, along with Kerberos and a few MS
'personalisations' to avoid compatibility.
--
Joe
Capitol

Not yet.
Capitol

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:
In article , Capitol
wrote:

If you're lucky.

Had enough now of your antisocial posting "style".

*plonk*

Capitol

Andy Hall wrote:

The two come together. There are cash machines that use NT4 as part
of their operation. I was quite concerned when I learned that.

Get even more worried, all cross channel ferries navigation systems
AIUI use MS Windows as the OS!!

Regards
Capitol
raden

In message , Capitol
writes

Andy Hall wrote:

The two come together. There are cash machines that use NT4 as part
of their operation. I was quite concerned when I learned that.

Get even more worried, all cross channel ferries navigation
systems AIUI use MS Windows as the OS!!

Worried about that?

I'm more worried about the UK nuclear submarine fleet having Win2k as
it's operating system

"new hardware found, please insert your installation CD with the CORRECT
serial number, to install your WMD)!"

--
geoff
Peter

Andy Hall wrote:

The two come together. There are cash machines that use NT4 as part
of their operation. I was quite concerned when I learned that.

I have seen a Natwest Cash M/C (Oxford Road, Manchester) with the
windows desktop and start bar. Unfortunately none of the buttons
interacted with the desktop and there wasn't a "dispense £20" icon :-(

One thing that struck me was that the ATM had a full colour screen, but
at the time they all used poxi green graphics on a black background.

Bob Eager

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:54:30 UTC, "Tim" wrote:

In OS terms it *is* a directory. Within unix filesystems, a directory
is merely a structured file containing the names and inode-numbers of the file's
data + header section. The inode is a structure which further defines
which logical blocks on the disk random bits of the file are stored. So to
open a file, the OS consults the directory-file to find out where the
actual file lives.

So there is a good historic reason why the name came to be, long before
Bill Gates was out of his nappy :-/

And probably before Ken Thompson was out of his diaper!

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
:::Jerry::::

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
snip

More than with the filing-cabinet/folder/file metaphor that Microsoft
wants us to use - how often do you find folders within folders within
folders in the real world? But then MS has always been a bit challenged
when it comes to designing useful file systems.

But if you have a lot of documentation the filling cabinet / draw it's self
might well become, in effect, a folder within a large much larger directory
(filing system) IYSWIM. So, yes, you can get folders within 'folders', it's
just that they don't look like folders - more like draws or complete
cabinets etc.

stuart noble

So, is there a newsreader that skips quoted text, and that would make
top/bottom posting irrelevant? Maybe newer versionsof OE? I'm still on

4.72

Gravity can display a fixed number of quoted lines (default four, but
you can set it to zero) and you can toggle this feature with a single
key-press while reading.

Sounds useful, but then I may get to see the gist of The Andy/IMM
threads..... Does make you wonder about the time the world spends scrolling
quotes, and the resources that are wasted.

G&M

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
snip

More than with the filing-cabinet/folder/file metaphor that Microsoft
wants us to use - how often do you find folders within folders within
folders in the real world? But then MS has always been a bit challenged
when it comes to designing useful file systems.

They nicked that bit from Apple because people said it was what they wanted.

:::Jerry::::

"G&M" wrote in message

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
snip

More than with the filing-cabinet/folder/file metaphor that Microsoft
wants us to use - how often do you find folders within folders within
folders in the real world? But then MS has always been a bit

challenged
when it comes to designing useful file systems.

They nicked that bit from Apple because people said it was what they

wanted.

They might well have done, but Gates and Co. made it affordable, something
Apple could have done and could still do but for some reason they seem
unable to do...

G&M

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
snip

More than with the filing-cabinet/folder/file metaphor that

Microsoft
wants us to use - how often do you find folders within folders

within
folders in the real world? But then MS has always been a bit

challenged
when it comes to designing useful file systems.

They nicked that bit from Apple because people said it was what they

wanted.

They might well have done, but Gates and Co. made it affordable, something
Apple could have done and could still do but for some reason they seem
unable to do...

Because they prefer the low volume high profit margin business. Generally
Apple users are switched on technically and know how to turn a computer on
and use it so support costs are much lower.

:::Jerry::::

"G&M" wrote in message

":::Jerry::::" wrote in message

"G&M" wrote in message

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect it was more a case of ripping off big business to start with and
now having to keep prices artificially high so that it appears that Apple
have something that MS or Linux based boxes doesn't. The same is starting to
happened in the high end software sector, many software companies are having
to tread very carefully not to alienate their existing customers when they
release software to compete with cheaper products that do the same job for
less - talk about a catch 22, keep your exciting customer base and slowly
die or compete with the market and show your loyal customers just how much
they have been ripped off over the years !..

Buxnot

to@d wrote:
"Huge" wrote in message
"G&M" writes:

"Huge" wrote in message
"G&M" writes:

"Dave Stanton" wrote in message
news
Which reader . We don't all subscribe to MS.

But the OP does, and that is who IMM was directing his comment
to !...

To be pedantic, it would not hurt to have said ' in IE you
do....'

To be even more pedantic, one could mention the right piece of
software as well, i.e. "OE"

Who cares? They're all ****.

Rather a sweeping generalisation.

Err, no. All Microsoft software is ****. I'm quite happy to go into
details if you wish, but I suspect that would bore most other readers
of this newsgroup.

see what I mean about not cutting the rubbish above.
just so busy squabbling like kids , I give up, cut dont cut I dont
care that much, i just wont bother reading past page 1.

This hasn't been cut purposly to show what I mean.

uncut post

toad

I havnt included any sigs, as it seems to upset some.

It all fits on my screen. Just.