Ian Stirling

Default How much/how big are raw sheets of glass.

I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm delivered?
Thanks.
Can't seem to find an answer online.
N. Thornton

Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm delivered?
Thanks.
Can't seem to find an answer online.

Alt.solar.thermal is good for this. In short I cant see any advantage
to triple glazing, which makes me question your design philosophies.
Are you using a mesh absorber? Is it for water or air? Are you using
any concentration?

For exterior use plain glass is liable to break. Wired or laminated
are better, though more money.

Regards, NT
Ian Stirling

N. Thornton wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote in message ...
I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm delivered?
Thanks.
Can't seem to find an answer online.

Alt.solar.thermal is good for this. In short I cant see any advantage
to triple glazing, which makes me question your design philosophies.
Are you using a mesh absorber? Is it for water or air? Are you using
any concentration?

Basically just test panels at the moment, to compare things.
(though these will be made from glass I have lying around, rather than
buying new)
I also plan to attempt to evacuate some panels, though this will
probably just result in flying glass

For exterior use plain glass is liable to break. Wired or laminated
are better, though more money.

If properly supported, and not hit by stuff, it shouldn't.

Thansk.
G&M

Ian Stirling wrote in message

I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm

delivered?
Thanks.

Don't buy new. It is possible to get misted up sliding patio door units for
next to nothing from many installers. Either use these as is or open them
up and clean them out.

N. Thornton

"G&M" wrote in message ...
Ian Stirling wrote in message

I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm

delivered?
Thanks.

Don't buy new. It is possible to get misted up sliding patio door units for
next to nothing from many installers. Either use these as is or open them
up and clean them out.

good one - they'll be toughened or lam as well.

NT
Ian Stirling

N. Thornton wrote:
"G&M" wrote in message ...
Ian Stirling wrote in message

I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm

delivered?
Thanks.

Don't buy new. It is possible to get misted up sliding patio door units for
next to nothing from many installers. Either use these as is or open them
up and clean them out.

good one - they'll be toughened or lam as well.

Indeed.
And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2
to make them clear again.
Bob Mannix

"Jan Wysocki" wrote in message
Is anyone able to answer the Subject part of the OP's question?
I.e what are standard sizes for uncut sheets of glass?

--
Jan

From memory, looking to the rear of the glass merchants last time I was
there, they seemed to be about 2400x1200, ie the same as a sheet of
plasterboard, but possibly bigger. Pilkington's *make* float glass up to 3m
wide so that would probably be the ultimate limit on the smallest dimension.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Ian Stirling

Bob Mannix wrote:

"Jan Wysocki" wrote in message
Is anyone able to answer the Subject part of the OP's question?
I.e what are standard sizes for uncut sheets of glass?

From memory, looking to the rear of the glass merchants last time I was
there, they seemed to be about 2400x1200, ie the same as a sheet of
plasterboard, but possibly bigger. Pilkington's *make* float glass up to 3m
wide so that would probably be the ultimate limit on the smallest dimension.

Oh thanks, I'd almost given up

I think I'll leave the 'special order from pilkington' route, as I suspect
it may be a little expensive
N. Thornton

N. Thornton wrote:
"G&M" wrote in message ...

Don't buy new. It is possible to get misted up sliding patio door units for
next to nothing from many installers. Either use these as is or open them
up and clean them out.

good one - they'll be toughened or lam as well.

Indeed.
And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2
to make them clear again.

why CO2 tho? Plain air works I believe.

NT

Chris Hodges

N. Thornton wrote:
Indeed.
And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2
to make them clear again.

why CO2 tho? Plain air works I believe.

Plain _dry_ air would, but it's probably easier (==cheaper) to get hold
of CO2 than dry (enough) air.

Chris

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk
Ian Stirling

Chris Hodges wrote:
N. Thornton wrote:
Indeed.
And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2
to make them clear again.

why CO2 tho? Plain air works I believe.

Plain _dry_ air would, but it's probably easier (==cheaper) to get hold
of CO2 than dry (enough) air.

CO2 is almost as good (or slightly better, I can't remember) than Argon.

Heat conduction in a gas is dependant on the molecular weight.
N2 is 18, O2 is 16, and CO2 is 48.
I think Ar is 45, though I'm pulling that from dodgy memory.

I suspect argon is used instead of CO2, as CO2 may react slowly with
the aluminium along with trace moisture.

Butane would be even better, with a molecular weight of 58, but has
some obvious problems

You could fairly easily get the air dry enough.
Take a large block of ice, thread some tubing through it, put it in
the freezer, then blow air (slowly) through the tubing.
Most of the moisture will freeze out on the walls.
Good enough for double glazing anyway.

Pete C

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 16:11:21 GMT, Chris Hodges
wrote:

And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2
to make them clear again.

why CO2 tho? Plain air works I believe.

Plain _dry_ air would, but it's probably easier (==cheaper) to get hold
of CO2 than dry (enough) air.

Hi,

Welding argon would help the thermal performance a bit which can be
important for a solar panel.

If the edges are taped with foil tape there is a good chance the DG
unit won't mist up again.

cheers,
Pete.
N. Thornton

N. Thornton wrote:

CO2 is almost as good (or slightly better, I can't remember) than Argon.

Heat conduction in a gas is dependant on the molecular weight.
N2 is 18, O2 is 16, and CO2 is 48.
I think Ar is 45, though I'm pulling that from dodgy memory.

I suspect argon is used instead of CO2, as CO2 may react slowly with
the aluminium along with trace moisture.

Butane would be even better, with a molecular weight of 58, but has
some obvious problems

You could fairly easily get the air dry enough.
Take a large block of ice, thread some tubing through it, put it in
the freezer, then blow air (slowly) through the tubing.
Most of the moisture will freeze out on the walls.
Good enough for double glazing anyway.

interesting. Butane sounds good too, theres no mechanism to spark it
inside dg, and if it leaks the concentration and amount are going to
be non problems.

NT

G&M

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
I'm considering a double or triple glazed solar collector.
What size are glass sheets typically supplied at?
8*4'?
(will be adequately supported)
What sort of ballpark price would I pay for 10 sheets of 2/6 mm
delivered?
Thanks.

Don't buy new. It is possible to get misted up sliding patio door

units for
next to nothing from many installers. Either use these as is or open

them
up and clean them out.

good one - they'll be toughened or lam as well.

Indeed.
And only need a couple of holes drilled and pumped through with CO2
to make them clear again.

Are the solar collectors going to worry about the slightly frosted view ?