Rob H

Default Removing scratches from brushed steel chimney hood

Hello

We've just had a new kitchen put in and we had a few scratches on our
brushed steel extractor chimney hood (not deep, but surface ones that made
the surface shiny). The chap fitting it used something looking like
sandpaper (black) and soap to magic them out. I was highly sceptical but it
worked. Anyway, we've since had to take the extractor down and unfortunately
we've put 3 new similar scratches in it.

I can't find this "magic" product (if there is any particular product), so I
wonder if anyone either knows what it is or how I can get them out
otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Rob H
P.S. Asking the person concerned is not an option!

ady2°°4©

"Rob H" wrote in message
Hello

We've just had a new kitchen put in and we had a few scratches on our
brushed steel extractor chimney hood (not deep, but surface ones that made
the surface shiny). The chap fitting it used something looking like
sandpaper (black) and soap to magic them out. I was highly sceptical but

it
worked. Anyway, we've since had to take the extractor down and

unfortunately
we've put 3 new similar scratches in it.

I can't find this "magic" product (if there is any particular product), so

wonder if anyone either knows what it is or how I can get them out
otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Rob H
P.S. Asking the person concerned is not an option!

sound like your trying to describe wet & dry paper you will find some at
halfords or any car place..

Rob H

sound like your trying to describe wet & dry paper you will find some at
halfords or any car place..

Is that all it was! Makes sense.

Thanks!

Rob H

Grunff

Rob H wrote:

Is that all it was! Makes sense.

Before you apply any abrasive to your brushed SS surface, experiment a
little on an offcut (ant steel merchant will let you have a bit).
Getting scratches out without making visible new ones, or polishing the
surface flat is nigh on impossible.

--
Grunff
Harvey Van Sickle

On 08 Oct 2004, Rob H wrote

Hello

We've just had a new kitchen put in and we had a few scratches on
our brushed steel extractor chimney hood (not deep, but surface
ones that made the surface shiny). The chap fitting it used
something looking like sandpaper (black) and soap to magic them
out. I was highly sceptical but it worked. Anyway, we've since had
to take the extractor down and unfortunately we've put 3 new
similar scratches in it.

I can't find this "magic" product (if there is any particular
product), so I wonder if anyone either knows what it is or how I
can get them out otherwise?

Thanks in advance.

Rob H
P.S. Asking the person concerned is not an option!

I wonder if he's used one of those light abrasive pastes one uses for
removing light scratches on car bodywork? (The stuff you can buy in
a tube in Halford's.)

Just a thought.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

The Natural Philosopher

ady2°°4© wrote:

"Rob H" wrote in message

[...]

Yup. Soapy water and up to 600 grade grit will get you back to a brushed
finish.

If you want satin or mirror its down to a buffing mop and T-cut.

In article , Harvey Van Sickle
writes
[...]

Cutting fluid?
Don't waste your money.
Wet grade emery cloth, steel wool, household cleaning stuff of
progressively less grittiness e.g. Vim, CiF, toothpaste, oil (frying oil
will do).
If it is brushed in one direction, use a rule or square so you keep with
the lay of the existing 'grain'.
Remove all Zeds in e-mail address to reply.
Harvey Van Sickle

On 10 Oct 2004, Z wrote
In article , Harvey Van
Sickle
writes

-snip-

I wonder if he's used one of those light abrasive pastes one uses
for removing light scratches on car bodywork? (The stuff you can
buy in a tube in Halford's.)

Just a thought.

Cutting fluid?
Don't waste your money.
Wet grade emery cloth, steel wool, household cleaning stuff of
progressively less grittiness e.g. Vim, CiF, toothpaste, oil
(frying oil will do).

The oil: is that before or after you've done the chips in it?

Sorry, couldn't resist...

--
Cheers,
Harvey
Rob H

If you want satin or mirror its down to a buffing mop and T-cut.

I'll give this a go, as although the scratches are now out, there is clearly
a dull 'patch', so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

Thanks

Rob H

The Natural Philosopher

Rob H wrote:

If you want satin or mirror its down to a buffing mop and T-cut.

I'll give this a go, as although the scratches are now out, there is clearly
a dull 'patch', so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

It will.
Take bloody ages tho.

Thanks

Rob H