Rick Dipper

Default Getting an RSJ into Place

I need to get a 7m 254*102*25 RSJ ridge purlin into place, this is
gonna weigh in at at least 350kg, so me and the girlfriend wont be
able to lift it onto the roof.

The "normal" way I guess is with a crane, but I can't get a crane to
the house, nor can I get a big enough teleporter or excavator in.

There is a window below the RSJ at both ends, the tops of the windows
are not build yet.

The current plan is to get the thing in through the window (we can
drag it with the bobcat), then using scaffolding and pullies lift it
up, building the scaffold underneeth to stop it dropping. When we get
to the top of the windows we can put the bricks in under it.
My worry with this plan is that the scaffold will have to hold if for
some days while all the brickwork sets, and a big storm may not be
good for the situation.

Is this the way is normally done, or is there some trick that I have
not thought of yet ?

Thanks
Rick

Peter Crosland

Get some professional help before someone is seriously injured or killed!

Peter Crosland

R Taylor

Peter Crosland wrote:
Get some professional help before someone is seriously injured or killed!

Peter Crosland

naaah, three medium hefty blokes can /easily/ lift 350Kg

The raise RSJ / raise scaffold / raise RSJ / raise scaffold method
sounds more than feasable but I'd have more than me + Gf around
if I was doing it and I'd beef up the scaffold supports to offset any
potential inclement weather.

plus, you're insured, right ?

RT

John Rumm

Rick Dipper wrote:

The current plan is to get the thing in through the window (we can
drag it with the bobcat), then using scaffolding and pullies lift it
up, building the scaffold underneeth to stop it dropping. When we get
to the top of the windows we can put the bricks in under it.
My worry with this plan is that the scaffold will have to hold if for
some days while all the brickwork sets, and a big storm may not be
good for the situation.

350kg is not that much of a load from a scaffolding point of view (i.e.
same as 3 hefty blokes working on one scaffold) as long as it is well
constructed, and you can spread the load over a few poles etc.

(While doing my loft conversion, there must have been at least a ton of
tiles stacked along the scaffold for a few weeks without any problem).

Is this the way is normally done, or is there some trick that I have
not thought of yet ?

Using a pully with a ratchet action to prevent any possibility of it
slipping sounds good. You may be able to use an electric winch with the
pullys to remove some of the effort. You could also get acrows under the
beam should you need to do some finer positioning once it is in place.

--
Cheers,

John.

John Armstrong

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:08:49 GMT, Rick Dipper wrote:

I need to get a 7m 254*102*25 RSJ ridge purlin into place, this is
gonna weigh in at at least 350kg, so me and the girlfriend wont be
able to lift it onto the roof.

That is a reference size for a universal beam, and the 25 is the weight per
m in kg, so your estimated weight is 100% over - 7m x 25kg/m = 175kg. Still
a bit heavy to lift by hand though :-)

mark

In message , Rick Dipper
writes

I need to get a 7m 254*102*25 RSJ ridge purlin into place, this is
gonna weigh in at at least 350kg, so me and the girlfriend wont be
able to lift it onto the roof.

If its 254mm deep by 102mm wide by 25kg per meter then should it not
weigh 175kg?

The "normal" way I guess is with a crane, but I can't get a crane to
the house, nor can I get a big enough teleporter or excavator in.

There is a window below the RSJ at both ends, the tops of the windows
are not build yet.

The current plan is to get the thing in through the window (we can
drag it with the bobcat), then using scaffolding and pullies lift it
up, building the scaffold underneeth to stop it dropping. When we get
to the top of the windows we can put the bricks in under it.
My worry with this plan is that the scaffold will have to hold if for
some days while all the brickwork sets, and a big storm may not be
good for the situation.

I would use a couple of steel tower scaffolds myself and a a trolley
jack.

Is this the way is normally done, or is there some trick that I have
not thought of yet ?

More or less.
We recently lifted a 7m length of 16" x 11" oak beam into place using
much the same method.
Me and a labourer got it into the building on rollers and up into place
in 8 hours.
--
mark
Rick Dipper

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:49:28 GMT, "R Taylor"
wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:
Get some professional help before someone is seriously injured or killed!

Peter Crosland

naaah, three medium hefty blokes can /easily/ lift 350Kg

The raise RSJ / raise scaffold / raise RSJ / raise scaffold method
sounds more than feasable but I'd have more than me + Gf around
if I was doing it and I'd beef up the scaffold supports to offset any
potential inclement weather.

plus, you're insured, right ?

Yes I am, but nott aginst stupidity !!!!

RT

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:25:11 +0100, John Armstrong
wrote:

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 16:08:49 GMT, Rick Dipper wrote:

I need to get a 7m 254*102*25 RSJ ridge purlin into place, this is
gonna weigh in at at least 350kg, so me and the girlfriend wont be
able to lift it onto the roof.

That is a reference size for a universal beam, and the 25 is the weight per
m in kg, so your estimated weight is 100% over - 7m x 25kg/m = 175kg. Still
a bit heavy to lift by hand though :-)

Sorted, 175kg no issues, a tractor will easily lift it, one on each
end. My Bobcat can do one end, as the houe is built into a bank, its
ony a 7 foot lift on one end, so I only need one tractor.

I'll get the beam a good bit too long, lift it up, scaffold under it
(not a silly 4 foot steel tower, but some quality stuff) and I am
away.

Thanks
Rick

Rick Dipper

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:49:34 +0100, mark
wrote:

In message , Rick Dipper
writes

[...]

Thanks for the encoragment, the next question is an oak truss, 4.5 m
wide. Take it slow and easy, and it will get there in the end.

Steve

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:49:34 +0100, mark
wrote:

In message , Rick Dipper
writes

[...]

An oak truss!!!! have you seen a doctor modern surgical techniques can work
wonders you know
Or is it for after you have lifted the beam into place?

Seriously I saw Tommy Walsh put a large oak beam in on the TV and the
scafolders that built the frame they left the horizontal poles the beam was
resting on loose to act as rollers . Obviously there were other horizontals
below these to stop spreading

Reminds me of getting the 4.5 metres 9x2s in for our loft floor only way
short of taking the roof off or tearing down ceilings was to remove the air
brick/ vent from the back bedroom chimney breast, remove corresponding
bricks from the outside (luckily house was built with lime mortar so an easy
enough job ) and them lift them onto the outhouse roof and feed them through
the hole.bedroom, down the landing and thence into the loft

Steve

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick Dipper wrote:
Is this the way is normally done, or is there some trick that I have
not thought of yet ?

An expensive way might be to have it cut and spliced. The plates can be
put on in situ after the two halves are raised.

--
*If I throw a stick, will you leave?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
mark

In message , Rick Dipper
writes
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:49:34 +0100, mark
wrote:

In message , Rick Dipper
writes

[...]

Taking it easy is the important bit.
People get hurt when you don't think about it FIRST.

--
mark
Rick Dipper

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:16:58 +0100, "Steve"
wrote:

"Rick Dipper" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 18:49:34 +0100, mark
wrote:

In message , Rick Dipper
writes

[...]

The oak truss can go up in bits, and be assembled up there, as I
intend to make it myself, I should be familiar with how it fits
together. Its not going anywhere neer so high up, or in such an
awkward place to get to.

Seriously I saw Tommy Walsh put a large oak beam in on the TV and the
scafolders that built the frame they left the horizontal poles the beam was
resting on loose to act as rollers . Obviously there were other horizontals
below these to stop spreading

Reminds me of getting the 4.5 metres 9x2s in for our loft floor only way
short of taking the roof off or tearing down ceilings was to remove the air
brick/ vent from the back bedroom chimney breast, remove corresponding
bricks from the outside (luckily house was built with lime mortar so an easy
enough job ) and them lift them onto the outhouse roof and feed them through
the hole.bedroom, down the landing and thence into the loft

Steve

stuart noble

An expensive way might be to have it cut and spliced. The plates can be
put on in situ after the two halves are raised.

That's how I've seen the RSJs done. Bolted together in sections

How cool is this place... Toby UK diy 1 July 23rd 04 06:38 PM
Best place to buy speaker foam surrounds Andy Cuffe Electronics Repair 11 October 20th 03 10:28 PM
Best place for sheet metal online? Terrence McCann Metalworking 2 September 25th 03 12:40 AM
threads won't stop in right place [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 17th 03 07:45 PM
Best place to buy a Dyson DC04? The Q UK diy 4 July 11th 03 01:18 PM