andrewpreece

"Arthur" wrote in message
I shall be plumbing a combi boiler in in a few days.
But I've never seen an example of the close-up-to-the-boiler
pipework connections.

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you

like
ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

Thanks very much.

Arthur

The final pipework is supplied with the combi, at least mine was, all the
bent pipes, flared ends, compression joints etc, to get your pipework
pointing down the wall in the right direction. Then, it's up to you to carry
on. My top tips, use a decent flux, or make sure the pipe ends AND the
inside of the solder joints are cleaned well with wire wool. Also, for
visible
joints, if you're a perfectionist, wipe the visible solder on the joints
with a slightly damp cloth, it gives a nice finish.

Andy

ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

Thanks very much.

Arthur

Ian Stirling

Arthur wrote:
I shall be plumbing a combi boiler in in a few days.
But I've never seen an example of the close-up-to-the-boiler
pipework connections.

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you like

Few dozen m of 1" hose, and a few jubilee clips.
Job done.

IMO...

End-feed looks nicer than solder-ring fittings, and is almost as
easy.
(you need a sighted chimp, blind one probably can't manage it.)

Go to http://www.toolstation.com/ or http://www.screwfix.com/ and
order some packs of end-feed pipe fittings, and a pipe-bender.
Have a play with them on a spare bit of pope.
You'll need some lead-free solder, flux, and a blowtorch (I would not advise
a hot air gun.)

Now, once you're confident of your ability to make proper joints without
messy blobs on the outside (direct heat at pipe and fitting junction,
and feed solder in 180 degrees away from it. Light smear of flux on the pipe
and turning it round a few times to distribute evenly is a good idea.) then
proceed to make up the pipework round the boiler.
You'll probably find that it's lots easier to make it up one joint at
a time, not fixed to the wall, but just holding it in place, and
then taking it down to do the work on a bench.

Consider if you really want to have the pipes visible.
Coming out (say) 4", and putting a sheet of plasterboard/... up to hide
the pipes, and allow sunken shelves might be an idea.

Also, you probably want to think about servicing.
For example, it might be nice to be able to take it off the wall
without draining the system down.
A couple of full-bore lever valves in the pipework can make this easy.
(technically, is this legal?)
A shut-off valve for the gas might be a good idea too.

Make sure you get the slopes of the flue right - I'm at the moment
cleaning out the inside of my boiler, and working out how to bodge
the hole to a slightly steeper angle, as on a rainy east wind, water
runs down inside the boiler, and out the bottom.

Manual specifies a 1' slope, and it's of course dead level.

ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

Thanks very much.

Different makes have different ways of connecting.
Though most will either:
Give you a frame which holds the boiler and into
which you insert pipes, the joints being compression types.
or:
Various stub pipes all in a row which you then joint onto with your own
pipes.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Andy Hall

On 30 Sep 2004 22:53:44 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Have a play with them on a spare bit of pope.
You'll need some lead-free solder, flux, and a blowtorch (I would not advise
a hot air gun.)

That's cruel. The poor old guy's going round in a wheelchair as it
is. :-)

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

chris French

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
Arthur wrote:
I shall be plumbing a combi boiler in in a few days.
But I've never seen an example of the close-up-to-the-boiler
pipework connections.

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you like

snip

Consider if you really want to have the pipes visible.

indeed, looks messy and is a pain to keep clean.

Coming out (say) 4", and putting a sheet of plasterboard/... up to hide
the pipes, and allow sunken shelves might be an idea.

Most of my pipes are beneath worktop. for the bit below the boiler, i
boxed in and the front panel is removable (held on with magnetic
catches) for access to connections.
..
Also, you probably want to think about servicing.
For example, it might be nice to be able to take it off the wall
without draining the system down.
A couple of full-bore lever valves in the pipework can make this easy.
(technically, is this legal?)
A shut-off valve for the gas might be a good idea too.

AFAICR, mine can with suitable isolation/service valves etc. to allow
for this (well sort of suitable, they are crap valves, can hardly turn
the ones on the heating circuit with a screwdriver, and when i last did
they then leaked.....)

Mine was of the sort that brings out all the pipes to the bottom of the
boiler, so it was just a case of arranging the pipe runs , and
connecting up.

--
Chris French, Leeds
Mike Harrison

Arthur wrote:
[...]

Use a powerful torch, with a propane/butane mix cartridge. Look for one that has a little pre-heat
tube that loops through the edge of the flame - these are usually advertised as 'non flaring' or
'use at any angle' types. Self-igniting is also handy.

Pete C

wrote:

Arthur wrote:

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you like

Few dozen m of 1" hose, and a few jubilee clips.
Job done.

IMO...

End-feed looks nicer than solder-ring fittings, and is almost as
easy.

Anyone tried those crimp fittings that need an insanely expensive
tool?

cheers,
Pete.
Pete C

wrote:

Arthur wrote:

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you like

Few dozen m of 1" hose, and a few jubilee clips.
Job done.

IMO...

End-feed looks nicer than solder-ring fittings, and is almost as
easy.

Anyone tried those crimp fittings that need an insanely expensive
tool?

This sort of thing:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/153a.asp

cheers,
Pete.
Andy Hall

wrote:

Arthur wrote:

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you like

Few dozen m of 1" hose, and a few jubilee clips.
Job done.

IMO...

End-feed looks nicer than solder-ring fittings, and is almost as
easy.

Anyone tried those crimp fittings that need an insanely expensive
tool?

This sort of thing:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/153a.asp

cheers,
Pete.

It seems that they are collecting for the razor blades *and* the
razor.

ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

I'm sure there will be many people happy to pull my install to bits
but hey, it works so I don't GAF!

Thanks very much.

Hope it helps. But remember, I am not a plumber, this is my own work
(although commisioned by a corgi guy) and I can't guarantee there
aren't any problems with building regs.
Arthur

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Mike Barnard

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:25:45 +0100, Mike Barnard
wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

I'm sure there will be many people happy to pull my install to bits
but hey, it works so I don't GAF!

Thanks very much.

Hope it helps. But remember, I am not a plumber, this is my own work
(although commisioned by a corgi guy) and I can't guarantee there
aren't any problems with building regs.
Arthur

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

The pictures are great, Mike and very helpful.
Where did you get the flexible water pipe from?
And did you install the sink beneath the window?

Arthur

Pete C

wrote:

Anyone tried those crimp fittings that need an insanely expensive
tool?

This sort of thing:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/153a.asp

It seems that they are collecting for the razor blades *and* the
razor.

LOL!

I expect the fittings will get cheaper as more companies make them,
also if the press fit tool could be hired for a day that would help.

cheers,
Pete.

ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

I'm sure there will be many people happy to pull my install to bits
but hey, it works so I don't GAF!

Thanks very much.

Hope it helps. But remember, I am not a plumber, this is my own work
(although commisioned by a corgi guy) and I can't guarantee there
aren't any problems with building regs.
Arthur

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

The pictures are great, Mike and very helpful.

Good.

Where did you get the flexible water pipe from?

It's Hep 2 O, http://www.hep20.co.uk/. Available from most good
professional plumbers merchants.

And did you install the sink beneath the window?

after photo is old, all I have to do now is put up a ceiling, but I
have other plumbing to do first. I used black/grey tiles, black
grout.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

raden

In message , Mike Barnard
writes
wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

--
geoff
Mike Barnard

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 22:57:33 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Mike Barnard
writes
wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

No, it's a reply to a post asking for help. Which I hope I've given a
little of. Unlike your 'helpful' post.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Arthur wrote:

The only thing I've been able to guess at is that I should use Unions
on the boiler outlets/inlets. And the pipework beyonf these will have
to be niftily directed onwards.
I'd like to make a very good job of it all so I would welcome all of your
advice
and even any pictures you might have. You can send as many pics as you like

Few dozen m of 1" hose, and a few jubilee clips.
Job done.

IMO...

End-feed looks nicer than solder-ring fittings, and is almost as
easy.

Anyone tried those crimp fittings that need an insanely expensive
tool?

This sort of thing:

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/153a.asp

How does that work then?
I assume it ends up looking more or less like a solder-ring fitting?
The bumps are compressed somewhat and the bits of pipe next to them
end up gripping the pipe like an olive.

I can't see it being as mechanically strong as solderable
fittings, as neat/cheap as end-feed, as easy as speedfit, or as
dissasembleable as compression joints or solderable fittings.

I suppose the benefits are (assuming the 12V gun is designed properly)
it's going to be practically idiot proof, as long as you can hack
off two ends of pipe, push them in and pull the trigger.
No risk of setting fire to stuff unless you're really inventive, and
smaller than push-on fittings.
Pete C

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

C'mon Geoff, let's see some of your DIY pics...

cheers,
Pete.
StealthUK

Mike Barnard wrote in message . ..

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

Hi Mike,

I think it's at least 1 metre minimum from the boiler for plastic
fittings/pipe but it wouldn't take much to change that if you wanted
to.

Arthur

"StealthUK" wrote in message
om...
Mike Barnard wrote in message

. ..

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

Hi Mike,

I think it's at least 1 metre minimum from the boiler for plastic
fittings/pipe but it wouldn't take much to change that if you wanted
to.

My Worcester 28i specifies 600mm of copper before plastic begins.

Arthur

IMM

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

No, it's a reply to a post asking for help. Which I hope I've given a
little of. Unlike your 'helpful' post.

Mike, Maxie has problems.

IMM

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

C'mon Geoff, let's see some of your DIY pics...

Maxi's DIY pics are his concern. Din Lin the far eastern luscious lovely
may object.

ravenscrofta at yahoo.co.uk

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

I will also enjoy the snippy arguments that are likely to ensue.

I'm sure there will be many people happy to pull my install to bits
but hey, it works so I don't GAF!

Thanks very much.

Hope it helps. But remember, I am not a plumber, this is my own work
(although commisioned by a corgi guy) and I can't guarantee there
aren't any problems with building regs.
Arthur

"Never" have a tee at the end of a pipe, in either gas or water. This acts
as a brake on flow and pressure. The mains pipe should have been direct to
the combi, and the other leg teed off. Many installers do not install
3-port valves because of this and use two 2-ports.

Also pipes must not touch each other when crossing.

IMM

wrote:

Arthur wrote:

[...]

The advantages are speed. This system is common on the Continent, where
press-fit is extensively used. The expensive tools usually mean it is beyond
DIY, and it is used on sites a lot. The joints are very strong and well
sealed.

chris French

In message , Arthur
writes

"StealthUK" wrote in message
. com...
Mike Barnard wrote in message

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

Hi Mike,

I think it's at least 1 metre minimum from the boiler for plastic
fittings/pipe but it wouldn't take much to change that if you wanted
to.

My Worcester 28i specifies 600mm of copper before plastic begins.

And note, IIRC fro when I did my boiler, the measurement is from the
connections of the pipe to the heat exchanger inside the boiler, not
from the external connections at the

--
Chris French, Leeds
raden

In message , IMM writes

.. .

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

C'mon Geoff, let's see some of your DIY pics...

Maxi's DIY pics are his concern. Din Lin the far eastern luscious lovely
may object.

You mean your sister ?

she was asking after you, she said "How's my brother DIMM fuk doing? "

--
geoff
raden

In message , Pete C
writes

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

C'mon Geoff, let's see some of your DIY pics...

Well I could, but then I'd have to kill you

I'm not sure what there is to show, since I don't so much DIY as just
get on with it. We repainted the front of the house, are you really
interested in watching paint dry ?

When there are jobs around the house which need doing, I don't take
photos, I just do them

.... and I have a sarcastic streak, what's new?

--
geoff
IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

.. .

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for

the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

C'mon Geoff, let's see some of your DIY pics...

Maxi's DIY pics are his concern. Din Lin the far eastern luscious lovely
may object.

You mean your sister ?

she was asking after you, she said "How's my brother DIMM fuk doing? "

Maxie, you have a desire to be apart of my family. How strange. We would
run you out of town, rather than have you in the clan.

IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Pete C
writes

wrote:

Look at www.bacups.co.uk/boiler/index.htm. This is the boiler I did
in my kitchen some months ago. Some of the pics are big, not for the
bandwith pikeys amongst us. I may resize them soon tho'.

OK, big pics resized to 640 x 480.

Hey, it's a boiler

C'mon Geoff, let's see some of your DIY pics...

Well I could, but then I'd have to kill you

I'm not sure what there is to show, since I don't so much DIY as just
get on with it. We repainted the front of the house, are you really
interested in watching paint dry ?

When there are jobs around the house which need doing, I don't take
photos, I just do them

... and I have a sarcastic streak, what's new?

Maxie, are you tackling your weight problem?

raden

In message , IMM writes

Maxi's DIY pics are his concern. Din Lin the far eastern luscious lovely
may object.

You mean your sister ?

she was asking after you, she said "How's my brother DIMM fuk doing? "

Maxie, you have a desire to be apart of my family. How strange. We would
run you out of town, rather than have you in the clan.

No, I have no wish to contact exotic diseases from your kin

--
geoff
Mike Barnard

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:21:16 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Hope it helps. But remember, I am not a plumber, this is my own work
(although commisioned by a corgi guy) and I can't guarantee there
aren't any problems with building regs.
Arthur

"Never" have a tee at the end of a pipe, in either gas or water. This acts
as a brake on flow and pressure. The mains pipe should have been direct to
the combi, and the other leg teed off. Many installers do not install
3-port valves because of this and use two 2-ports.

Also pipes must not touch each other when crossing.

Hi.

Not that I *plan* on doing this again, but thats useful info to file
away for the future. Thanks.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Mike Barnard

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:11:02 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Mike, Maxie has problems.

Don't we all... ex wife won't pay her debts, motorbike I can't sell,
empty bank account, it's raining, beginnings of a toothache, nappy
needs changing, it's raining... etc. But I still smile!

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
Mike Barnard

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:31:10 +0100, chris French
wrote:

My Worcester 28i specifies 600mm of copper before plastic begins.

And note, IIRC fro when I did my boiler, the measurement is from the
connections of the pipe to the heat exchanger inside the boiler, not
from the external connections at the

See, we're all learning stuff from this thread.

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]
IMM

"raden" wrote in message
In message , IMM writes

Maxi's DIY pics are his concern. Din Lin the far eastern luscious

lovely
may object.

You mean your sister ?

she was asking after you, she said "How's my brother DIMM fuk doing? "

Maxie, you have a desire to be apart of my family. How strange. We

would
run you out of town, rather than have you in the clan.

No, I have no wish to contact exotic diseases from your kin

Oh Maxie, talk about the pot call the kettle black.

IMM

"Mike Barnard" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 23:11:02 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

Mike, Maxie has problems.

Don't we all... ex wife won't pay her debts,

If in here name they are her debts.

motorbike I can't sell,
empty bank account, it's raining, beginnings of a toothache, nappy
needs changing, it's raining... etc. But I still smile!

--
Regards from Mike Barnard
South Coast, UK.

[To reply by email remove ".trousers" spamtrap from email address]

StealthUK

My Worcester 28i specifies 600mm of copper before plastic begins.

And note, IIRC fro when I did my boiler, the measurement is from the
connections of the pipe to the heat exchanger inside the boiler, not
from the external connections at the

Fair enough. The 1 metre distance is from the manufacturers of plastic
fittings and I suspect they probably err on the side of caution to
cover themselves.

Combi Boiler Relief Pipework Andy UK diy 13 June 25th 04 10:15 PM
How to correctly size combi boilers Dean UK diy 16 December 25th 03 10:49 PM
Gas Combi Boiler Pressure Relief Pipework & Building Regs Mitch UK diy 8 December 7th 03 11:11 AM
Combi Boilers Marv UK diy 5 November 2nd 03 11:34 PM
New Combi boiler GB UK diy 7 September 7th 03 11:34 PM