Broadback

Default Advice on bath showers please

My daughter has a combi boiler and is looking for a shower,owing to
space it will be in the bath. She has decided she would prefer one to
run off the combi rather than electric to get higher pressure. Having a
tight budget she would like to forgo a thermostatic one. This made me
wonder what is the disadvantage of a shower off the bath taps is as
against a dedicated mixer shower. All advice and views most welcome.

TIA
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Broadback wrote:
My daughter has a combi boiler and is looking for a shower,owing to
space it will be in the bath. She has decided she would prefer one to
run off the combi rather than electric to get higher pressure. Having a
tight budget she would like to forgo a thermostatic one. This made me
wonder what is the disadvantage of a shower off the bath taps is as
against a dedicated mixer shower. All advice and views most welcome.

My experience of a combined bath tap & shower unit has been good... BUT
only in situations where both taps are fed from the same pressure
source. Eg. both from a loft tank (the hot via a traditional cylinder fed
from the same tank) or both from the mains (but watch out for restrictors
on the input to the Combi)

The down-side is that if someone opens a tap or flushes the loo then
it can have a rather sudden and drastic effect on temperature and
flow rate...

One house I lived in had mains cold water and tanked hot - it was
almost impossible to regulate the temperature to the shower unless we
ran the cold tap in the sink full blast to take some of the flow away
from the bath, and even then it was still very touch & go about
regulating it.

Good luck..

Gordon
John

Mira 415 will balance the flow of hot/ cold and will cope the mains
pressure. Had one for 12 years - works fine.

--

Regards

John

"Broadback" wrote in message
My daughter has a combi boiler and is looking for a shower,owing to space
it will be in the bath. She has decided she would prefer one to run off
the combi rather than electric to get higher pressure. Having a tight
budget she would like to forgo a thermostatic one. This made me wonder
what is the disadvantage of a shower off the bath taps is as against a
dedicated mixer shower. All advice and views most welcome.

TIA

---
All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

John Rumm

John wrote:

Mira 415 will balance the flow of hot/ cold and will cope the mains
pressure. Had one for 12 years - works fine.

As menitioned before in a previous thread, the 415 is pressure balanced
shower and not thermostatic. Hence it will work best with the type of
combi that modulates the flow rate of the hot water to keep a constant
temperature at the tap. If your combi it the type that will let you
demand any flow you like (but at the expense of the water getting
progressively cooler as the flow rate increases) then it might not be as
good.

Not sure if they still have any, but about a month ago Makro were
selling a bristan thermostatic mixer for about 50+VAT. Should be OK with
mains pressure and probably as cheap as a bog standard non thermostatic
mixer.

Looked like:

http://www.bristan.com/erolsite/imag...n/ar_shxmt.gif

--