Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Kevin

Default Partitioning a room.

I have an opening between two rooms of about 8-foot that I want to
partition. The plan is to use 4 x 2-foot doors within a frame. The
usual way of doing this seems to be to effectively arrange these as 2
x 4-foot bi-fold doors e.g. see projects 22 & 23 in the wickes
good-idea leaflet :-

http://media.venda.com/wickes/ebiz/w...ages/gil/5.pdf

The problem is that SWMBO want to be able to open the middle two doors
leaving the outer two bolted to the frame for normal use, but then
open all four, folding them back to the wall on either side for
special occasions. The arrangement of the hinges in the wickes
designs would not permit this as the rebate would prevent the middle
two doors from opening if the outer two were bolted closed.

The only way that I can think of doing this is to use some kind of
double-action hinge, but the only ones I can find are spring-loaded
which would not be suitable. Does anybody know where I can get
unsprung double-action hinges in the uk ?

Anybody got any alternative methods ? I think I have seen a similar
arrangement in a friends previous house but I'm not sure and cannot
check. I have vague recollections of parliament hinges being used but
cannot think how they would work to fulfil my requirements.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks. Kevin.