Bob Mannix

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Kevin
writes
I have an opening between two rooms of about 8-foot that I want to
partition. The plan is to use 4 x 2-foot doors within a frame. The
usual way of doing this seems to be to effectively arrange these as 2
x 4-foot bi-fold doors e.g. see projects 22 & 23 in the wickes
good-idea leaflet :-

http://media.venda.com/wickes/ebiz/w...ages/gil/5.pdf

The problem is that SWMBO want to be able to open the middle two doors
leaving the outer two bolted to the frame for normal use, but then
open all four, folding them back to the wall on either side for
special occasions. The arrangement of the hinges in the wickes
designs would not permit this as the rebate would prevent the middle
two doors from opening if the outer two were bolted closed.

Is the rebate on the frame? How about removing it from the centre section.

I asked my builder how to solve the same problem. The opening bit is fairly
easy. You get 2 pairs of doors and fit two lefts on one side and two rights
on the other. Where each newly made pair join you remove the rebate and fit
hinges. You are then left with two doors on each side and a rebated join in
the middle. the middle doors can then open as a normal pair, back against
the outer ones. They can't go flat against a wall if you open right up, as
the next open has to go in the same direction because you generally have one
door stop (otherwise they won't shut nicely).

If you want a picture/more details, reply after following the de-spamming
instructions.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)